I was thinking recently (today actually) that I would like to go up to Cooperstown and see the Baseball Hall of Fame. Has anyone here been there before? Any suggestions on what can be done while there or what else there is to do in that part of New York. Is there a better time of year to go as opposed to another (ex. induction ceremony weekend vs. early fall). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hardly. :hmm

Induction Weekend is going to be insane this year; they're expecting the crowd to top that which came up for Tom Seaver's induction 15 or so years ago. 80,000 is possible, making it a very frustrating trip for a first-timer, especially since rooms are already booked solid not only for Cooperstown, but for a 30-mile radius or so. You'd end up staying near Albany and driving 1-hour+ just to get to Cooperstown.

I totally suggest coming up one of the first two weekends of October. It's not too crowded, the baseball playoffs are underway, adding a bit of a buzz to the happenings at the Hall of Fame. You won't have the entire Hall to yourself like you would in the dead of winter, but there also won't be massive crowds to navigate through like during Induction Weekend.

Cooperstown is right at the foot of Otsego Lake, which runs a nice, lazy north for several miles from Cooperstown, with mountains on either side. The two best places to stay would be the Tunnicliff Inn, a small hotel opened in 1802, and about 250 feet from the Hall of Fame. The Otesaga is the luxury hotel in the area, right on the lake, and that's where all the Hall of Famers stay during Induction Weekend, so it's way pricey. There's also the Lakefront Motel, whose only charm is being right at the foot of the lake, but it's not ridiculously expensive.

Other spots to visit in and near Cooperstown: The Farmers' Museum, which has a festival going on during harvest time, so perhaps you'd like to time your visit around that... Brewery Ommegang, an authentic Belgian brewery with a very laid-back attitude. Their beers have won so many awards and are so authentically Belgian, that they were bought by none other than Duvel itself so that Duvel could take advantage of their brewing methods. Thankfully, Duvel left the feel of the place entirely to itself, so it still has great charm. Worth the 10-minute ride from Cooperstown for the tour, the tastings, and the Hennepin horseradish pretzel dipping sauce.

Oh yeah, there's an AMAZING bbq place in Oneonta, about 20 miles from Cooperstown called Brooks House of BBQ... TOTALLY worth the ride for the chicken and ribs combo platter (don't bother going if you are a vegetarian, though their macaroni and potato salads are great). And there's a Soccer museum and/or Hall of Fame in Oneonta as well.

That's what immediately comes to mind, you can always call the HOF or hit the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce website for more info.

Hope this helps. :)

I went twice as a kid and loved it. Twisted covered most everything, and I remember the Farmer's being pretty cool.

I was actually planning on attending this summer to see Gwynn get in being a lifetime Padre fan and all. This year's induction is on my birthday too, and I'd even talked my wife into going. But now that's she's due in July that's out. My kids already got a strike against him, but I'll try not to hold it against him

Is there a better time of year to go as opposed to another (ex. induction ceremony weekend vs. early fall). Any feedback would be appreciated.

If you make the trip around induction time you might be able to catch a glimpse of a surly Pete Rose begging around the perimeter of the grounds (easily identifyable by the small group of apologists trailing behind).

until they let Don Mattingly in, the HOF is dead to me.

Fixed it for ya

If you make the trip around induction time you might be able to catch a glimpse of a surly Pete Rose begging around the perimeter of the grounds (easily identifyable but the small group of apologists trailing behind).

do the apologists all have bowl haircuts like their hero? just wondering how dedicated they are.

I went to Cooperstown on a quiet early Spring day and it was empty and I loved it. The landscape is absolutely stunning in that area. I drove from Woodstock to Cooperstown and was in awe. Cooperstown is one of the lovliest little towns I have ever seen.....tucked between a mountain and a lake. I loved the museum and have such a weakness for baseball swag - so that place was a little dangerous for the credit card.

I hope you enjoy it!! :)

I went to Cooperstown on a quiet early Spring day and it was empty and I loved it. The landscape is absolutely stunning in that area. I drove from Woodstock to Cooperstown and was in awe. Cooperstown is one of the lovliest little towns I have ever seen.....tucked between a mountain and a lake. I loved the museum and have such a weakness for baseball swag - so that place was a little dangerous for the credit card.

I hope you enjoy it!! :)

Oooh yeah, Kate, totally know what you mean... I have to give myself a limit on what I can spend whenever we go by there.