Bob's back on guitar

I think the last Dylan album is a stinker also.

Modern Times? Really? I must say I thought it was the best thing he had done in years. You plough a furrow all on your own A-Man.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a wicked googly.

The last Dylan album I really cared for was Infidels.

Top marks for the cricket reference. I always find something worthwhile in most every Dylan album. The last one I really loved was one which lots of people don't like at all and that was Shot Of Love.

That one too -

I got that from a Jerry Seinfeld commercial.

Seinfeld and cricket? A-Man you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of pop culture and all things mostly irrelevant. :worship

• 2 weeks later...
That was a wicked googly.

The last Dylan album I really cared for was Infidels.

Wow, Modern Times is so much beter than Infidels in every way.

Also, I can't believe people are ripping on his voice. His singing on "Spirit on the Water" rivals anything he has commited to record. I LOVE the vocals on Modern Times. You guys know he is older and stuff, right?

I maybe jumping in a little late here over the debate of Dylans most recent work, whether some of it is to similar to some tunes of the past. I for one, really love that tradition of writing music, I don't mean just ripping shit off directly which I'm sure he doesn't do, but letting things come out naturally and how it comes out if it feels right, is just how it is. I myself was in an Indie pop rock band about 5 years, with a little succes and many good times, now that's over and I am having a way better time writing for and playin in my good time rock n roll band, it's nowhere near as original as I was trying to be before, but lots more fun. Not to slag off on Tweedy at all, but there are many of his tunes espeically off of Being there, where he nicks lines ( word for word sometimes ) from songs from ths past, I don't think he tries to hide it either.

I hope this wasn't addressed to me (although I do seem to be the guy who slagged on Dylan's recent work the hardest in this thread). Because I assure you, I'm in no desperate need for a refresher course on how great Patton, Johnson, Boggs, Thornton, Hurt, Hopkins, Jefferson, Muddy or any of the blues giants were, and continue to be.

My major beefs with Dylan's work began at the outset of the current decade, more or less. I'm one of the few Dylanphiles who rank Time Out of Mind among my top three Dylan records of all time, so I certainly have no quarrel with anything pre-dating Love & Theft. L&T is a mixed bag for me, however. A song like "Mississippi" stands up well next to anything Dylan's ever written, but hey, it's a holdover from the '90s, so that shouldn't be surprising. I suspect a few other numbers appearing on that record also date to the '90s, but obviously there's no way of knowing for sure when they were composed. Unfortunately, no fewer than three songs on that record are note-for-note lifts of other artists' tunes. Although the lyrics are Dylan's, the music for "Tweedle Dee" is a shameless plundering of the old Johnny and Jack song "Uncle John's Bongos," right down to the bridge. Gene Austin's "Rebecca" was transposed from piano to guitar for "Summer Days," while Austin's "Lonesome Road" was lifted part and parcel for "Sugar Baby." A few of Austin's lines even survived the transition, like "Look up, look up / And seek your maker / 'fore Gabriel blows his horn."

Modern Times, on the other hand, is just minor Dylan, not to be taken seriously. It has less in common with TOOM and L&T than it does albums like Under the Red Sky and Dylan's Traveling Wilburys contributions. Half the record is bar band blooze-rock filler, uninspired and anything but compelling; funnily enough, you can pretty much go down the track listing and cross off all of the odd-numbered songs with a red pen, for all they're worth. There are plenty of breezy workouts here, but there are no Dylan songs anywhere. There's "Rollin' and Tumblin'," another note-for-note swipe of a superior old song, although this one isn't nearly as obscure as "Uncle John's Bongos." "Someday Baby" is a snoozer of a Muddy Waters remake, originally known as "Trouble No More," which, hilariously, Dylan himself covered in the early '90s. And although it's credited as a Dylan original, I'm sure every pre-war blues fan in the world has heard "The Levee's Gonna Break" countless times before. "Ain't Talkin'" works well enough on paper, but in practice it sounds like later-period Dylan on autopilot, or maybe even a kind of self-parody. "Workingman's Blues #2" at least sports a fine melody, but the lyrics are yet more pastiche, a superficially interesting skeleton without any marrow. What's the song about? Anything? I'm not convinced it is.

And his voice is just shot. Opinions will vary, of course, but ever since Sexton left the touring band, Dylan has sounded laryngitic and snarled. The vocals from the last few live shows I've downloaded have been devoid of both melody and panache, regrettably, and Dylan has never sounded more consumptive and breathless on record than he does on Modern Times. He's really struggling, and buddy - that ain't a stylistic conceit. A lot of people love to believe Dylan's still got it, and that's fine by me. Everybody needs something to believe in. For what it's worth, I still consider Bob Dylan the greatest American artist ever to have lived. Nobody's perfect, though.

I agree with some things in this, but especially the bit in bold, which I only noticed once I read it. I've always thought the bluesy rockers need to do something very interesting to make them stand out. I think I like Love and Theft more than you tho. I think that album is fantastic bar the opening track. But, you know your shit and you said what you said very well also. Deserves props

Oh and one thing - yeh his voice is fairly ragged and fucked, but man what can you do... sorry his life got in the way of his vocal chords? Its passable live and fine for the recordings.