Bands beating bootleggers

The term could hardly be more oxymoronic: "official bootleg."

As old as recorded music itself, bootlegging always has been an unofficial act: sneaking a tape recorder into a concert; attaching a microphone to a light stanchion; paying a soundboard guy to hook you up; or getting an underpaid roadie to pilfer a copy of a band's own recording.

But today

At the Phil & Friends show I saw last summer, I was approached by a gentleman inquiring if I'd like to get the SBD directly after the show for $25. I spoke for awhile with him, interested in how the technology works. Very cool idea,imo. I eventually told him 'no', & when he asked why not, I told him 'well, it will eventually end up in my hands by hook or by crook'. :shifty

They ain't bootlegs if they ain't legal.

One too many ain'ts

Umphrey's McGee does this and has started their own UMLive series. Its pretty sweet. Anytime before the second set, you walk up to the merch table, give them $10 and take a ticket. After the show, the Umphrey's crew is burning about 20 CD's at a time and you pick it up right at the sound booth. Pretty neat idea to me. Its sweet listening to the show the next morning especially if you had too much to drink the night before and can't remember much.

About two weeks after that each live show is mixed and sold online with even better quality.