the decemberists 4/4/07

I was at the show last night as well, and I loved it. Totally blew away all expectations I had for them. I have the Soho EP from iTunes and was waaaaaaaay underwhelmed by it. They played on KBCO during the day Sunday and sounded really great, and at the show they were awesome.

Great, great fun. Will definitely recommend them and see them again.

aaaah, i missed the studio c session. what did they play?

I only caught Perfect Crime and Valencia.

I'll have to give you a heads up next show I'm at. I think I met you waaaaaay back at Louie's in '03. You may remember the delicious Elk Goulash?

nope, wasn't me - i wasn't at louie's... plus i'm a vegetarian... ;)

definitely let me know your next show!

Will do...2007 is shaping up to be quite a year of shows for bands I'm into. Hopefully Louris/Olson will hit Denver to support their album.

We actually weren't that close to the stage, but we were in the first row of the raised area, so right in his line of vision.

Also, I should point out: It wasn't just that U was not doing the hands. After he urged everyone to do it, she said, "No." I was standing right next to her, and I didn't think it was said that loud, but apparently it carried directly to the stage. Because Colin looked shocked, and glared at her, and said, "Did you just say 'No'?!?" So then he went straight into enforcer mode, and we were all bullied into putting our hands up, but apparently Uyen's still weren't high enough, because he started directing her: "No, no - higher. No bended elbows . . ."

It was all quite funny. And the entire show was very cool. The 1-2 punch of July, July! and O Valencia! had me in a very happy place. (I must have a thing for songs with a ! in the title . . .)

Oh - and John Lithgow was in the audience, directly in front of us. His son Nathan was the bass player in the opening act.

And then during the sing-along part of Sons and Daughters, he looked at her again and said "I'm glad to see you're participating in this one".

Those spots at the rail seriously kicked ass.

Insane show, it was the second of two nights there, and a source who was at both shows said the set lists varied quite a bit. Colin had the entire crowd (well, everyone except Uyen) in the palm of his hand; there was almost a puppet-master quality to it by the end of the night, people were responding to the band's every twitch.

And John Lithgow looked very sweetly proud of his son. He was doing a typical dad thing, and even snapped a few pictures towards the end of their set.

Colin had the entire crowd (well, everyone except Uyen) in the palm of his hand; there was almost a puppet-master quality to it by the end of the night, people were responding to the band's every twitch.

nice description, maudie. it was the same way here... colin is very very good at what he does. :yes