Jay Bennett article in Daytrotter Blog

I mean the three chords he put to California Stars are great, but fuck man, it's just three chords, anyone can do it.

That pretty much encapsulates the history or rock and roll :guitar

Rock and Roll is simple, which is one of the great things about it because anyone can do it. Seriously, Heroin (one of the greatest rock songs ever) is two chords. Misunderstood is two chords throughout the entire song.

Basically, if band such as Wire went into the studio (they did not even know how to tune their guitars), and create a fantastic debut album "Pink Flag." I believe anyone can play rock and roll.

I guess I just don't like it when rock stars brag about how much of a genius they are when anyone can do it.

We should get this guy some unused Woodie Guthrie lyrics, and see if he comes up with a melody and chord progression that is anywhere near as good as California Stars.

Save for three songs on AGIB, Wilco hasn't been good since he left. Shame.

Ne1ls Cl1ne 1s a god. how dare you talk about w1lco in that way.1..111

I agree with you 100% but it doesn't do any good to complain at this point, does it?

We should get this guy some unused Woodie Guthrie lyrics, and see if he comes up with a melody and chord progression that is anywhere near as good as California Stars.

Part of the reason I have been stating that rock and roll is simple is that if every single person believes they can never create a song as amazing as "California Stars," then some kids could never have the amazing dream of becoming a rock and roll star.

For example, if one believes they could never create a chord progression or melody as beautiful as "California Stars," how could one ever believe they are any good? Since they would think they could never live up to the expectations; seriously, rock and roll stars are not gods because it's just rock and roll and those "stars" are just like you and me.

Here's a quote from Tweedy I found one late night that relates to the matter:

"Growing up, I was such a super-fan of music," Tweedy says. "But at some point, you have to tear down these things that you worship to be able to find yourself. You have to be able to say, 'Dylan isn't that great.' Or at the very least, 'I have everything inside myself that he has.' Nobody is going to agree with that. It's a blasphemous thing to say, but you have to get to that point. You have to validate yourself."

Also, let me just make clear that I think California Stars is a beautiful song and it is one of my favorite Wilco songs.

Part of the reason I have been stating that rock and roll is simple is that if every single person believes they can never create a song as amazing as "California Stars," then some kids could never have the amazing dream of becoming a rock and roll star.

For example, if one believes they could never create a chord progression or melody as beautiful as "California Stars," how could one ever believe they are any good? Since they would think they could never live up to the expectations; seriously, rock and roll stars are not gods because it's just rock and roll and those "stars" are just like you and me.

Here's a quote from Tweedy I found one late night that relates to the matter:

"Growing up, I was such a super-fan of music," Tweedy says. "But at some point, you have to tear down these things that you worship to be able to find yourself. You have to be able to say, 'Dylan isn't that great.' Or at the very least, 'I have everything inside myself that he has.' Nobody is going to agree with that. It's a blasphemous thing to say, but you have to get to that point. You have to validate yourself."

Also, let me just make clear that I think California Stars is a beautiful song and it is one of my favorite Wilco songs.

this person speaks the truth

Absolutely. But there's nothing wrong with being proud of one's accomplishments. ;)