Andrew Hill died yesterday.

Aw, man. I literally just found out now. What a loss. I mean, it's better that he isn't suffering anymore, but he was such a giant.

I feel fortunate to have been at that free performance at Trinity Church a few weeks ago that Nels referred to in his eloquent note on his Web site. I'm pretty sure it was Mr. Hill's final public appearance because I know he had canceled a couple of scheduled live tapings at Birdland at the end of March. And I also feel so fortunate to have been able to see that show at the SF Jazz Festival last year where Nels and his group opened for Andrew and his group. Sensational.

Kudos to Nels for drawing more attention to some wonderful music with his tribute project. And of course...RIP, Mr. Hill.

Kudos to Nels for drawing more attention to some wonderful music with his tribute project. And of course...RIP, Mr. Hill.

For sure. Another musican with Chicago ties (he was born here and played with several Chicago musicans including Von Freeman if my memory serves me.) He had been sick for some time, but during a week of ultra bad news, this didn't help. Luckily we have the Mr. Hill's fine Blue Note albums reissues in recent years so at least we have his work to listen to for the forseeable future.

LouieB