Back when people around here were getting hitched left and right, there were quite a few people asking opinions for good songs to play at weddings. I have recently moved to Denver and will be getting married before I know it. We will have a DJ at our wedding, which is something new to me, as I am from MS and most wedding receptions have really swinging R&B bands. I had zero luck finding a band for the reception.

I am meeting with our DJ next week and am working on a list to show him. Any of you who might still have their list handy, or have an opinion on a favorite song (or 10) to hear at a wedding, I'm taking requests.

Thansks in advance

Will

I'm getting married in a few weeks and I ended up having to "let go" of picking a ton of songs to be played. I think we had pretty much planned the music and sequence of songs for the entire 5 hour reception before we decided we were nuts and to let the professional read the crowd to figure out what to play. We did choose a lot that are in the "must play" or "play if you have time" lists, and there are 4 or 5 in the "do not play under any circumstances" list. But we ended up telling the guy we don't want any Top 40 crap but everything else is fair game. I think he's going to lean towards a lot of 50s and 60s music for the dancing portion of the evening. We did, however, choose the introduction songs, the first dance song, and the cake-cutting song.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!

My personal wedding favorite (played at mine): "I knew the bride when she used to rock and roll"
Time to go back to the old ID I can't figure it out. That's the perfect song...I have that in my collection, ask ME to DJ.

Hold out for any kind of live band rather than a DJ. Live music is far more fun at weddings and most DJs probably won't have the songs the folks here want played unless they are really hip. For the right amount of money I am sure some band will make it to your wedding. (Ask Two Cow Garage..I bet they would make the drive.... :lol )

Louieb

But we ended up telling the guy we don't want any Top 40 crap but everything else is fair game.

I tried to tell the DJ that before my wedding and he just looked at me like I was insane. I didn't have the energy to plan out the entire playlist, and its probably for the best because if left to my own devices the dancefloor would have been empty all night.(except for me!) :lol My wife and I each gave a handful of "must play" songs and left it up to him after that. Sometimes its best to go with the flow and let the DJ play stuff that people actually recognize.

most wedding receptions have really swinging R&B bands.

This would be awesome. :dancing

I tried to tell the DJ that before my wedding and he just looked at me like I was insane. I didn't have the energy to plan out the entire playlist, and its probably for the best because if left to my own devices the dancefloor would have been empty all night.(except for me!) :lol My wife and I each gave a handful of "must play" songs and left it up to him after that. Sometimes its best to go with the flow and let the DJ play stuff that people actually recognize.

This would be awesome. :dancing

Luckily, my DJ's company has something like 400,000 songs in their database. I was shocked to find all my British friends' bands in there. There wasn't much missing when we searched in their online database. In fact, it turned into a game for us. "I'll bet they don't have any Milltown Brothers in there!" *type type type* "Oh my god, they've got 5 songs and 3 extended remixes!"

We did decide to hire a live trio for the ceremony though....violin, cello, and flute. We's a classy bunch!

Thanks everyone.....

Peel and 1/4 23cd....really appreciate the insight. I was going nuts over this and I agree...I think I may have been the only one out there for half the night. Really like the idea of must plays and must not plays....as well as the obvious first dance etc. Peel cograts on the upcoming big day....don't suppose its may 19th is it?

Louie and 23....you wouldn't believe some of the wedding bands down south. The last wedding I went to, the drummer and bassist were 20 year muscle Shoals Sessions vets....amazing. Louie...hear you on the live band more fun...and believe I searched far and wide out here, but couldn't find anything. Found a couple of jazz trios and experimental stuff, but nothing that lots of people could enjoy and dance to.

Thanks again everyone....

Louie and 23....you wouldn't believe some of the wedding bands down south. The last wedding I went to, the drummer and bassist were 20 year muscle Shoals Sessions vets....amazing. Louie...hear you on the live band more fun...and believe I searched far and wide out here, but couldn't find anything. Found a couple of jazz trios and experimental stuff, but nothing that lots of people could enjoy and dance to.
Maybe too many hippies in Colorado. That is very cool about the bands down south. We have some good ones here in Chicago too. When I got married I had a friend who plays piano put together a band of some jazz and blues musicians. It was very fun. Congratulations and have fun with it.

LouieB

Maybe too many hippies in Colorado. That is very cool about the bands down south. We have some good ones here in Chicago too. When I got married I had a friend who plays piano put together a band of some jazz and blues musicians. It was very fun. Congratulations and have fun with it.

LouieB

Do not doubt that one bit. All the weddings i've been to in New orleans the receptions were unbelieveable. Took me a while to warm to it, but I'm liking the idea now. The photographer we got is really cool and just got married. Said he picked this DJ after seeing him at a couple of weddings and he thought their reception was a blast! pretty good recs. Appreciate the kind words....

Guest Jules
You said a couple of weeks and thats the same thing I say. May 19th here to. best of luck!

That makes 3 of us! (Although my May 19th wedding was 6 years ago.)

drag the river are in colorado.

when we got married (12 years ago), we had a local punk rock band play the reception. it was pretty excellent. they did a cover of the stones' dead flowers and the rest was their own stuff.

Play fun songs that everybody can dance to because they used to dance like freaks in the day...song like: Bust a Move - Young MC, Walk this Way - Run DMC and Aerosmith, Can't Touch This - Hammer, My Perogative - Bobby Brown, Humpty Dance - Digital Underground, and other fun songs by Snow, Vanilla Ice, etc. That is the best way to ensure a FUN wedding! Also throw in some great tunes for the slow dancing - like Into the Mystic - Van Morrison, I Wish I was the Moon - Neko Case, Far Far Away - Wilco, and Upward Over the Mountain - Iron and Wine. Of course you should pick out your first dance, father/daughter dance etc. Then let the DJ fill in whatever he/she wants - they are professional DJs because they know what the majority of folks, old and young, will dance to :dancing . Most of all, don't freak out about the music, there are many more things to worry about. I always say as long as there is an open bar everyone will have a great time.

Oh, Congratulations!!

Don't forget "The Chicken Dance".

Changed it for ya!! :thumbup

You said a couple of weeks and thats the same thing I say. May 19th here to. best of luck!

I swear this wedding is making me go insane. Congratulations to you!

Don't forget "The Chicken Dance".

This one's at the top of the "DO NOT PLAY" list. Runners up include The Bunny Hop, Macarena, Cotton-Eyed Joe, and the Hokey Pokey. I gave in and left the Electric Slide for some audience participation, as well as YMCA. It's all about compromise.

I'm especially pleased with our song choices for the introduction of the wedding party, parents of the bride and groom, and us.......let's just say TARANTINO THEMES medley. :dancing

"I'll bet they don't have any Milltown Brothers in there!" *type type type* "Oh my god, they've got 5 songs and 3 extended remixes!"

Milltown Brothers! You mean I'm not the only person in America to have the Milltown Brothers in my collection? I was putting my CDs on itunes and I couldn't even find album artwork for Slinky.

Anyway, my wife and I had "Here, There and Everywhere" by the Beatles as our first dance song. We ended up giving the DJ a list of tunes we liked so they could get the feel of what type of music to play. All in all, they did a great job. Lots of Motown kept the guests dancing. It is a must to have a "Do Not Play" list with the DJ.

Milltown Brothers! You mean I'm not the only person in America to have the Milltown Brothers in my collection? I was putting my CDs on itunes and I couldn't even find album artwork for Slinky.

Slinky still gets periodic rotation in my house! I even bought two versions of the Apple Green 45 single when I went to England!