Austin is an amazing city. I hate the Longhorns, but the city is still great. Awesome people, music, food, and bars. My kind of town, if it weren't for all of the orange.

i actually hate the city, but it does have good music. too many hipsters though.

and too many bums

• 3 months later...

If you guys are planning on attending (or at least trying to attend) the ACL taping, I think the Hole In The Wall is the perfect place to meet up. It's literally less than 100 yards from where the taping will be. When I went to school at UT this is where we hung out EVERY DAY because of its proximity to the communications building (where the taping takes place.) The beer is cheap, the booze is strong, and the jukebox rocks. Guaranteed to have either Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt or Wilco in regular rotation. It also has hosted it's fair share of talent on stage including the likes of Lucinda Willams, Steve Earle, Doug Sahm (plenty of pictures of Sahm adorn the walls) , the Drive By Truckers and Spoon throughout the years. It is even rumored that Michael Stipe once got on stage and performed many years ago. The name really says it all. It may have some of the nastiest bathrooms in Austin, but reading the writing on the walls while taking a leak, is really half the fun of going there.

If you guys are planning on attending (or at least trying to attend) the ACL taping, I think the Hole In The Wall is the perfect place to meet up.

Will they do the ticket drop on the same day as the taping? I'd love to go but I don't know if I want to take that much time away from the festival chasing something I'm not gonna get.

the ticket drop could be anywhere from midnight friday night to noon on saturday....who knows? it is being announced on the radio sometime between 8-11 pm on friday. you have to REALLY want to go to these tapings...they make it kind of tough sometimes. and for all we know, since there are going to be several ticket drops going on, it might NOT be at the communications building like it usually is. they might spread them out for crowd control.

I've been in Austin for almost a week... very much looking forward to the Festival. How many VC'ers are going to be there for Wilco's set I wonder? I'm not even going to try to get in to the ACL taping, even though I know I'd love it. Any secret handshakes or hand signals to identify other VC'ers?

cheers,

b.s.

I've been in Austin for almost a week... very much looking forward to the Festival. How many VC'ers are going to be there for Wilco's set I wonder? I'm not even going to try to get in to the ACL taping, even though I know I'd love it. Any secret handshakes or hand signals to identify other VC'ers?

cheers,

b.s.

Shouldn't be too difficult to spot. Being a cult band, Wilco should draw a small but loyal gathering.

Just a "head's up" for those not going and don't know: AT&T will be doing their free "Blue Room" deal all weekend. I don't know if they'll be showing the Wilco part, but I'd imagine they would be hitting all the big names...:

http://www.attblueroom.com/music/events/acl.php

I was just coming to post about this! Looks like there will be no Wilco webcast but I'll be rather pleased to catch Andrew Bird and Willie Mason.

i haven't heard anything about where the ticket drop went down. buuuut i have a sneaking suspicion that wilco might play at maggie mae's at the paste party tonight. i doubt it will actually happen but it would be pretty awesome if it did! i mean, they're not doing anything tonight and the paste party acts are "secret" so you don't find out until you get there and someone goes on stage.

last night joseph arthur and the lonely astronauts, manchester orchestra, willy mason, and ben lee all played. i know none of those acts are as big as wilco but that was just friday night. i'm sure saturday night is going to be way bigger. i casually know a couple of guys that play in golden smog so i'm going to try to get to the bottom of this before the end of the night. they might be able to give me some information!