This may be the best Eagles album the Eagles never made

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never owned an album by any of those bands/artists in my entire life.

With that said... if the only tracks you have heard from those artist; especially Zevon and Browne, are from the radio than you don't know what your missing.

And for a little more Eagles content this thread needs, the best song IMO the Eagles ever did was a song Jackson Browne penned.

I know for a fact that some of the guys in Wilco will not like being compared to the Eagles at all.

i doubt wilco gives a crap what entertainment weekly has to say, since they are the only ones who made eagles comment. it shows the ignorance of the reviewer and discredits the rest of what they have to say, A- review or not.

no regular on VC would ever draw that comparision. we just like contributing to threads like this like vultures on a carcass.

The two i'm talking about don't give a crap, but don't like the Eagles...at all

jeff never liked the police, but i don't hold that against him.

if i modeled all my musical tastes after a favorite artist's record collection, i'd be a f*cking robot.

and while i'm one-quarter swedish, i've never (and will never) own an abba record.

I'm pleased with myself that I accurately predicted both the Eagles comparison and the Weather Channel jab. :cheers

I've made a game of trying to predict the critical reactions--its the only thing that makes reading the reviews even remotely interesting since I formed an opinion on the album long ago and am way beyond the point of wanting to argue about it.

• 1 month later...

Earlier today I was browsing through the June 29 issue of Entertainment Weekly, which had a list of "100 Stars We Love Right Now." Perched at #62 was Wilco, with one of the largest spreads--more than a full page--of anyone cited on the list. Included were some comments regarding how the Entertainment Weekly reviewer compared SBS to the Eagles:

WILCO' date=' RESTLESS ROCKERS

WHY THEM Wilco's beautiful new collection of simple country jamming, [i']Sky Blue Sky[/i], contrasts sharply with the band's last studio album, 2004's dissonant and lyrically surreal A Ghost Is Born. The CD gave the sextet its highest-ever chart position--and was hailed by EW as a work that "may be the best Eagles album the Eagles never made."

GIVING US THE BIRD Frontman Jeff Tweedy was unimpressed by EW's Eagles comparison and subsequently described it as "fighting talk." So, should magazine staffers avoid darkened alleys for fear of being jumped by the alt-country icon? "Well, I don't have any vices left," laughs the Wilco singer, 39, who in 2004 entered rehab to treat an addiction to prescription painkillers. "Wholesale slaughter is the only thing I have left to me! No, I understand that it was a compliment. But the Eagles have never been a big favorite of mine."

JEFF TWEEDY: BOSS FROM HELL? Although the current band has been together for three years, Wilco's various personnel changes have led some to conclude that Tweedy may be a little lacking in management skills. "One of the strangest things about coming into Wilco was that people would just walk up to me and say, 'So, is Tweedy an a--hole?," says guitarist Nels Cline, 51. "I don't know where this reputation derives from. I think he's a fantastic boss."

TOYING WITH US The band recently unveiled a line of cool, if very similar, Wilco dolls. "I can't tell them apart," admits Cline. "Some friends asked which one was me--and I guessed the wrong one."

NEXT Tweedy voices Goddy on the July 11 episode of Comedy Central's show Lil' Bush. "They asked me if I was interested in playing God, and I said that's something I'm very comfortable doing," says the singer. "I do it all day long."

SECRET TALENT "I was really good at sacrificing my body when I played baseball," says Tweedy. "I was a good catcher--I could take a fastball on the inner thigh better than anybody. What was my secret? Stupidity."