This may be the best Eagles album the Eagles never made

I personally refuse to call that band anything other than The Egos.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the eagles pre-hotel california did not suck. bernie leadon kept them in line. once he left, we all know the story...henley and frey's ego's exploded...yada yada yada...you want classic 70's country-rock? listen to the first few albums. you want crap?, enter joe walsh and timothy b. schmidt.

quit bagging on their entire catalog. your snobbiness is showing.

just my opinion.

...and sky blue sky sounds nothing like the eagles. i have no clue why that comparison is being made.

Could not agree with you more, Bernie was the voice of reason, while he was in the picture they were a great country rock band, we know what occured after that which was not good.

Anyway is it just one person's opinion which people on this board get worked up over, god forbid if we do not tow the company line.

All we need is some Eagle's fans to read that review and start attending live Wilco shows. Once that happens we will have to start paying triple digits for tickets for shows with set list of the imagination of a clear channel executive. :ohwell

:lol

the eagles pre-hotel california did not suck. bernie leadon kept them in line. once he left, we all know the story...henley and frey's ego's exploded...yada yada yada...you want classic 70's country-rock? listen to the first few albums. you want crap?, enter joe walsh and timothy b. schmidt.

quit bagging on their entire catalog. your snobbiness is showing.

just my opinion.

...and sky blue sky sounds nothing like the eagles. i have no clue why that comparison is being made.

I didn't "bag" on any of their catalog. I was bagging on the fans of the band that continue to support the obvious disregard for art and imagination as well as affordability a live show should offer it's fans.

The Eagles were the first band i paid double digit prices for back in 1980's "Long Run" tour. I remember the show seemed scripted and the music was played exactly like it was on the album's. It was the last support they got from me.

Wilco can have some Eagles influence in their music for all i care. But if they start pulling the greed and lazy act when it comes to touring, then i got a problem. If thats being a music snob then i'm guilty

I don't really get it, I love the Eagles stuff up to about the Long Run album. I think Brian Henneman said it better than I can.

I think the Eagles are great. I don't like everything they did, "The Long Run", being my least favorite album.

Early Eagles were awesome.

I was an "Eagles Snob" way back when.

I remember bein' suspicious when Don Felder joined, and being pissed off when Joe Walsh joined.

I liked my original Eagles, when I was a teen.

THEY might be the reason I got into "alt-country", without even knowin' it.

I just thought of them as a rock band back then. Didn't even realize they were so "country".

Wonder how many "Linkin Park" fans might like alt-country, if it was played on the same radio stations?

I liked Kiss, Aerosmith, and, the Eagles, at the same time, when I was a kid. Heard it all on the same radio station.

Glen Frey sang all my favorite Eagles songs. He was my favorite. I wanted to BE him when I was 15.

Man, how did he turn into the WORST one, after the Eagles broke up???

His solo stuff is the height of misery for me...

Brian

Fuck the eagels......that is all.

i like the eagles.

I personally refuse to call that band anything other than The Egos.

classic!

also, I dislike the Eagles about as much as I dislike Bob Seger.

I don't really get it, I love the Eagles stuff up to about the Long Run album. I think Brian Henneman said it better than I can.

I think the Eagles are great. I don't like everything they did, "The Long Run", being my least favorite album.

Early Eagles were awesome.

I was an "Eagles Snob" way back when.

I remember bein' suspicious when Don Felder joined, and being pissed off when Joe Walsh joined.

I liked my original Eagles, when I was a teen.

THEY might be the reason I got into "alt-country", without even knowin' it.

I just thought of them as a rock band back then. Didn't even realize they were so "country".

Wonder how many "Linkin Park" fans might like alt-country, if it was played on the same radio stations?

I liked Kiss, Aerosmith, and, the Eagles, at the same time, when I was a kid. Heard it all on the same radio station.

Glen Frey sang all my favorite Eagles songs. He was my favorite. I wanted to BE him when I was 15.

Man, how did he turn into the WORST one, after the Eagles broke up???

His solo stuff is the height of misery for me...

Brian

gotta love brian

when i think of the eagles, i think of the original lineup, not what it devolved into. it's purely a corporation now bent on gouging aging fans' dwindling paychecks and need for nostalgia by charging outrageous ticket prices and repeatedly repackaging their greatest hits. enough already! this is what has happened to their legacy, all because of the greed of henley and frey. really sad that that is all they are generally known for now. i understand the disdain for the band the last 25 years, i just wish the bernie leadon version didn't appear to be thrown under the bus with it. or maybe that's just how i take it. who cares? it's just the eagles. i'll continue to listen to their old stuff in private for fear of mockery.

I love the foaming at the mouth that goes on when the Eagles are mentioned. The band everyone loves to hate.

Of course, virtually no one hated them until they became cool to hate. :rolleyes

This is the sound of my brain

Then I said -This is the sound of my brain on Don Henley

Then I said -One two three four

He's a tortured artist

Used to be in the eagles

Now he whines like a wounded beagle

Poet of despair

Puffed up with hot air

He's serious, pretentious and I just don't care

Don henley must die

Don't let him get back together

With Glenn Frey, Don Henley must die

Cut on the TV

And what did I see

This bloated hairy thing winnin' a grammy

Huah

Best rock vocalist

Compared to what

Bunch of pseudo-serious Kraft angst-a-matic

Satanic plot

Don Henley Must die

Put a sharp stick in his eye, don henley must die

Ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya

Oh

Quit playin' that crap

Youíre out of the band

I'm only kidding, can't you tell?

I love his sensitve music

Idiot poetry swell

You and your kind

Are killin' rock and roll

It's not because youíre o-l-d

--Cause you ain't

Got no soul

Don't be afraid of fun

Loosen up your ponytail

Be wild, young

Free and-a

Get your head

Outta your tail

Don Henley

Must die

Donít let him get back together

With Glenn Frey

Don Henley

Must die

Put him in the electric chair

Watch him fry, Don Henley must die

Don Henley must die

Ah ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya ya

No Eagles reunion

The same goes for you too Sting

Ah

Oh

I like the Eagles better since it became cool to hate them. :yes

Actually, I'm being kind of serious--the only one of their albums I truly can't stand is the last one. Well, and the post-reunion stuff. And most of the solo stuff. But other than that, its not so bad.

Of course, virtually no one hated them until they became cool to hate. :rolleyes
We periodically have this discussion and you are absolutely correct. They are far from my favorite band, but what they did (even after Joe Walsh showed up) was pretty amazing. They are a big fat rich target, but they made great singles and decent albums and really don't deserve the kind of abuse they get, but then why should they care? Maybe sometime we could talk about the fact that they were Linda Ronstadt's back-up band and part of the Flying Burrito Brothers, back-up and collaborators for and with many of the Reprise/WB artists, but that won't make a difference either.

LouieB

when I was little my dad had all the original Eagles albums (up to and including Hotel California). There are some great tracks in there. It's all the crap that's happened since then that makes it hard for me to include them on any favorites list...

I think Don Henley's "all she wants to do is dance" summarizes my point best.

I think Don Henley's "all she wants to do is dance" summarizes my point best.

Point taken. Although seeing my 2 year old dance to "Boys of Summer" recently while waiting for a table at Applebee's made me admit a certain weakness for that one.

I like the Eagles better since it became cool to hate them. :yes

Actually, I'm being kind of serious--the only one of their albums I truly can't stand is the last one. Well, and the post-reunion stuff. And most of the solo stuff. But other than that, its not so bad.

I didn't know it was cool to hate the Eagles. I guess I was just always ahead of the curve. I mainly hate them because everything coming out of Nashville for the last 20 years sounds like a slick numbers chart copy of the Eagles. Plus really, I hate their music. It's too California for me.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20038384,00.html

Entertainment Weekly album review.

Jeez...let's not get our collective panties in a wad.

Consider the audience this review is intended for. An A- review and a comparison to the Eagles of the Glory days is a GOOD THING. We (this board) already know and love the band. We understand the nuances and subtleites. The great unwashed is being given an indication something special is going on in a language they can understand.

We may be getting ready to see an influx of new fans.

How we treat them will speak loads about us.

Yeah, soon VC will have a NASCAR fantasy league.

To what other areas does your snobbery extend?

Edit:

You guys aren't gonna like it if SBS achieves the level of popularity it deserves. I can promise you that. And it's gonna be fun around here with the Wilco mavens spewing invective and venom at the newbie fans.

I can't wait...eveybody loves a trainwreck. :shifty