popmatters sbs review

to this day i still feel like popmatters' review of yankee is one of the most insightful things you can read about that album.. and now in similar fashion they also have a great review for sbs:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews...o-sky-blue-sky/

There is already considerable opinion and criticism in print and on the internet regarding Wilco

There's no other way to say this: that review kicks fucking ass.

Metivier does an excellent job of heading off lazy critics/listeners like Pitchfork's Rob Mitchum in his opening paragraphs by reminding readers that SBS should be judged on its own merits, not any one specific set of expectations, and his thoughts on Tweedy's newfound lyrical prowess are very similar to mine.

The improved balance between directness and poetics has enhanced the quality of both aspects of Tweedy's writing. The best example of this is "Side With the Seeds"

This review at least listens to the content. SBS is not a happy album, it has an over-riding sense of resignation and tentitiveness about the future. All one has to do is listen to the words (which in most songs are not that complex) to understand this. The review hits it right on the head. Good for him.

LouieB

SBS is not a happy album, it has an over-riding sense of resignation and tentitiveness about the future.

LouieB

While I agree with this somewhat, I have to disagree that the album is not "happy". It's certainly more optimistic than AGIB in overall tone, and lyrically a bit more bight than most of YHF and AGIB...at least to my ears...

While I agree with this somewhat, I have to disagree that the album is not "happy". It's certainly more optimistic than AGIB in overall tone, and lyrically a bit more bight than most of YHF and AGIB...at least to my ears...
Well AGIB is about total disintegration of a person (again, not necessarily Jeff), so it has to be more optimistic than that. But if you are celebrating not being dead, that is not really happy.

LouieB

Well AGIB is about total disintegration of a person (again, not necessarily Jeff), so it has to be more optimistic than that. But if you are celebrating not being dead, that is not really happy.

LouieB

Yeah...

"I've survived, that's good enough for now" isn't exactly optimistic.