Enjoy Wilco on MY terms

I'm certainly not saying you have to, but if you're interested I'll tell you how in this thread.

Step 1 - Very rarely listen to anything other than the first 3 albums. You can certainly recognize YHF's greatness, but I'm kinda burnt out on that one - listen to AM instead. Skip the others except the new one, which you can listen to once a week.

more to follow...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step 2 - Don't go see them live. Sure they're entertaining and are great musicians, but they don't share my focus on the first 3 albums anymore. Plus, indoor venues are usually way too crowded and smokey, and outdoor shows usually take place during the summer and I break a sweat just thinking about +85 degree temperatures. Stay home, watch some TV, maybe post some random thoughts on a Wilco fan site, and keep try to keep cool and comfortable.

Anyway, if you're like me (and by reading this it's clear you are at least interested in going that route) you've got a handful of officially released and fan-distributed DVDs to watch instead.

outdoor shows usually take place during the summer and I break a sweat just thinking about +85 degree temperatures.

Precisely. Not to mention the unmistakeable smell of wooks in such weather.

Good question, Lammycat.

I think the Mermaid Ave. stuff is fine to listen to in moderation (skip "Secret of the Sea" though, of course). While I'm a big fan of some novelty bands/artists (Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Flogging Molly, Bob Dylan, etc.) I don't generally like novelty songs done by non-novelty bands. Black Flag's "TV Party" is an example. I kinda view "Just a Kid" as a novelty song, which could be totally incorrect and misguided...but they are my terms. And as such you're going to have to skip this particular song.

Good question, Lammycat.

I think the Mermaid Ave. stuff is fine to listen to in moderation (skip "Secret of the Sea" though, of course). While I'm a big fan of some novelty bands/artists (Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Flogging Molly, Bob Dylan, etc.) I don't generally like novelty songs done by non-novelty bands. Black Flag's "TV Party" is an example. I kinda view "Just a Kid" as a novelty song, which could be totally incorrect and misguided...but they are my terms. And as such you're going to have to skip this particular song.

Big Parm, How should we treat written material? Books, blogs etc etc? What's acceptable?

Big Parm, How should we treat written material? Books, blogs etc etc? What's acceptable?

I occassionally re-read sections of the Kot book on the can, but tend to avoid any "SBS review" internet links, mainly because I'm afraid the reviewers will not enjoy Wilco on my terms and that will make me go blind with rage. And the only blog I read is captainisdead.com, and that's only because the guy who runs that is my ex.

Basically, I think we can enjoy any and all printed material, and most e-content. The only exception to the printed material thing is the poetry book. We don't read that shit. Non-negotiable.

...and what about the live tweedy stuff? sometimes when he's solo the new stuff sounds like old stuff. does that work for you? too many chord changes? it can become tiresome.

I download that stuff and then never listen to it, so yeah...listen to AM instead.

I occassionally re-read sections of the Kot book on the can, but tend to avoid any "SBS review" internet links, mainly because I'm afraid the reviewers will not enjoy Wilco on my terms and that will make me go blind with rage. And the only blog I read is captainisdead.com, and that's only because the guy who runs that is my ex.

You misspelled "e-blind" and "e-rage."

Basically, I think we can enjoy any and all printed material, and most e-content. The only exception to the printed material thing is the poetry book. We don't read that shit. Non-negotiable.

I download that stuff and then never listen to it, so yeah...listen to AM instead.

I'll be sure to burn my girlfriends copy of jeff's poems when I get home later. Unless, you want me to fedex it to you? Then you can use it to wipe!

Big Parm,

I don't actually own a turntable. Will I ever be able to fully appreciate, as you put it, the "new one"?

I no longer own a working turntable either. And even if I did I still don't know that I'd ever truly appreciate the new one. How about we just listen to AM instead?

And "lemon party"

EDIT: this be bobblehead

I get the feeling you aren't really interested in enjoying wilco on my terms.

I'll be sure to burn my girlfriends copy of jeff's poems when I get home later. Unless, you want me to fedex it to you? Then you can use it to wipe!

Don't be so hasty. I'm not a fascist, and I can't condone the destruction of your girlfriend's property. Unless of course she is also intersted in enjoying Wilco on my terms. In which case you should donate the poetry book to your local library for uncool, unhip patrons to enjoy.

With the exception of "Gun", I don't really like any of Jeff's Uncle Tupelo songs until Anodyne.