Enjoy Wilco on MY terms

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Wilco Book -- is it completely off limits since it is not album 1, 2 or 3?

It's off limits because it's awful, not for the reasons you list.

And how about Wilco apparel? Book bags, pins, magnets, etc.? I feel scared.

I own a Wilco shirt (purchased at a show that kinda bored me). I wear it often.

Yeah, I've been using a Wilco tote bag on a daily basis. Please advise!

I'd need to see a picture of said tote bag. It's probably Jim J. Bullock though.

Not to step on Ction's proverbial toes, but I have a suggestion of my own-

Take how ever much your normal Wilco listening consumption is, multiply that duration by 2, then for that amount of time listen only to live Wilco recordings, whether that be KT or a recorded live show, then go back and listen to any Wilco studio album, and enjoy. It will make any studio recorded album seem fresh and new.

Take how ever much your normal Wilco listening consumption is, multiply that duration by 2, then for that amount of time listen only to live Wilco recordings, whether that be KT or a recorded live show, then go back and listen to any Wilco studio album, and enjoy. It will make any studio recorded album seem fresh and new.

"Have you ever had that no-so-fresh feeling?"

I am fairly confident that ction will not advocate this course of action.

What about the DVD extra that came with SBS Delux? I've only watched it once. Is that wrong?

I never actually bought SBS, let alone the deluxe edition. To answer your question though, I think watching that DVD once is about as close to perfect as you can get (perfect, of course, being watching it zero times).

This would be the perfect first post in an "enjoy wilco on the terms of some guy whose existence ction is only even vaguely aware of" thread.

I am fairly confident that ction will not advocate this course of action.

Here's a rule for you to follow...don't ever put anything in my mouth. Even words.

Plus, indoor venues are usually way too crowded and smokey, and outdoor shows usually take place during the summer and I break a sweat just thinking about +85 degree temperatures

Smoky indoor venues? Jeez, where do you live and what year is it there? Seriously...

I dig a good bar show. I'm with you on the scorching outdoor venues, though.

• 1 month later...
dear ction,

how does listening to the residency shows online fit in with enjoying wilco on your terms?

I recently downloaded the 7th Wilco DVD project disc, which had a Being There-era tv show with Roger McGuinn and a Summerteeth-era tv show on it. Both of these appearances were AMAZING. That's the band I like, not the Wilco that's apparently going through medical school right now to the delight of hundreds. On a semi-related note, I also really like The Replacements and think Steely Dan are boring and crappy.

P.S. I did download mp3s of some of the recent shows some kind soul posted the other day, but I've honestly been too lazy to unzip the files. I'll probably delete them without every listening.

Id rather not listen to their uninteresting albums, thanks though :dontgetit

This would have made a great first post in an "Enjoy ction's thread about enjoying Wilco on HIS terms on MY terms" thread.

dere ction,

I recently purchased the wilco bobblehead collection at the show tuesday night. What else should

I have spent my money on?

Bobbleheads are funny - you should have no buyer's remorse. In theory, I could even see myself buying a Steely Dan bobblehead collection under the right conditions - and they are one of the shittiest bands of all time.

Of course, spending that money on a pitcher of beer and some fried food would not have been a bad idea either.

I've known you for almost ten years (the fuck?), and I never knew you were British.

Positively dreadful response on your part, good fellow.

:lol

:rolleyes

Ction,

I'm not sure if anyone is better qualified than you to address my issue. Can you compare Wilco's "old" fans to their "new" fans?

Warmest Regards,

blue

If Wilco fans were bands, old fans would be The Replacements and new fans would be Steely Dan. If Wilco fans were items on a menu, old fans would be a pitcher of cold beer and a basket of fish and chips, while new fans would be a bottle of some microbrew cider and a plate of Ethiopian food.

If Wilco fans were bands, old fans would be The Replacements and new fans would be Steely Dan. If Wilco fans were items on a menu, old fans would be a pitcher of cold beer and a basket of fish and chips, while new fans would be a bottle of some microbrew cider and a plate of Ethiopian food.

That's great. The "old" fans sound amazing! Thanks for clearing that up. I know that they were very polite and quiet from reading about them in concert threads but this clarifies it all for me.