For what it's worth

This is my first foray into the murky virtuality of message-board(em). As a loner, London-based Wilco convert (I never got religion - I get Wilco, so the term seems appropriate), I felt the need to send a post-card from the diaspora. I had the undoubted privilege of seeing Wilco at Shepherds Bush Empire in London, two nights running. Much of what I felt over those two nights has been eloquently expressed by others who have had the singular luck to see this tour. For once, the democracy of the web/blog/message board seems to me a cause for optimism. Each new entry on viachicago which isolates and preserves a moment of this tour, and evokes, for me, the frisson I felt over those two nights. is a treat. My admiration and gratitude towards this peerless group genuinely knows no bounds. During four hours over two nights, to take an incoherent mass of humanity through a greater range of emotions than most individuals encounter in a year is a feat not, in any time or place, to be underestimated. I have my own mental snap-shots of this tour, as I'm sure every other participant does. The virtuoisity of "Impossible Germany". The searing energy of "Kidsmoke" and "shake it off". The pathos of "Sky Blue Sky" or "Either Way". The achingly beautiful rendition of "be not so fearful" with Bill Fay. These are random evocations of two nights that will stay with me for a very long time.

One final thought, to those willing to pontificate on the VW "controversy": why would anybody who experiences Wilco want to keep it to themselves? There's not much about humanity to celebrate - why not share the wealth?

...I have my own mental snap-shots of this tour, as I'm sure every other participant does. ...

Weighty words. And beautiful words.

I love that snap-shots metaphor. It reminds me that moment when that girl

comes over and asks me, 'Are you the guy with the california-stars-request?

Yes you are, by the way, thanks for the request and here, take this! You deserve it..."

Then she gave me a backstage-pass...

What a night.

Great first post, and dead on! Now one of my top priorities in life: more mental snap-shots from live shows. I agree with Dawgsong, reading posts about current tour is making me even more anxious for ATL show.

:cheers

If I may add my first post to this empowering one, I was lucky enough to get to the 2nd show. As a fan since a couple of years - thanks to my bro in law for YHF. I don't think I have listened to anything else since the show. Reagards to all who posted the FLACS, especially the Stuttgart one and the Santa Letters are just incredible.

As I write this the Shepherds Bush webcast is pouring all over me, brining back so many 'snapshots'. The kids think I am becoming a sad bas**ard but thats life! - at least they like them too. I have been lucky enough to see my great bands and many great gigs but the Empire ranks as one of the best. My wife and I traveled to the gig from Ireland and it was worth every little bit.

Absolutely agree on sharing the wealth, I feel like an evangelist spreading the true word!

This is my first foray into the murky virtuality of message-board(em).
I traveled to the gig from Ireland and it was worth every little bit.

I would have liked to have done this but working 75 hour days precludes me from taking part in the human race apparently.

Weighty words. And beautiful words.

I love that snap-shots metaphor. It reminds me that moment when that girl

comes over and asks me, 'Are you the guy with the california-stars-request?

Yes you are, by the way, thanks for the request and here, take this! You deserve it..."

Then she gave me a backstage-pass...

What a night.

Hey there, thanks for helping to make that show a memorable one. "Ve vill vait!!!!" became the slogan of our trip to Dresden...

:worship