I have only played my 335 at "live" volume levels once and I had no problem with feedback. Next week is my first practice with a new band and now I am concerned it might be an issue. Isn't the solid center block supposed to prevent such issues? I have a pretty decent strat I could use instead, but c'mon I want to use my Gibson :wub

I have only played my 335 at "live" volume levels once and I had no problem with feedback. Next week is my first practice with a new band and now I am concerned it might be an issue. Isn't the solid center block supposed to prevent such issues? I have a pretty decent strat I could use instead, but c'mon I want to use my Gibson :wub

Maybe you could bring both just in case. LOUD rock bands have been using 335s for decades. The center block will help, but but it will not completely eliminate feedback.

Rickenbackers are nice guitars - no doubt there. Just not my cup of tea!

You should check out Freshman Guitars if they've a stockist in your area. Great guitars - bought three of 'em in the last two years. Great balance of price and quality. Their PRS style body has an amazing tone and quite honestly could be sold for twice the price and still be amazing value.

I played a reissue Les Paul Jr. in a very aggressive/loud band for years and loved it. As we matured I wanted something with a more "mature" sound than a single coil guitar could produce. I bought a 1976 ES335 (which is considered a semi-hollowbody)and have loved it fron the start. To the point were I stopped taking my Jr. to shows. I loved it so much, If I broke a string I didn't want to play anything else, I would make 'em wait while I changed a string. I could beat the hell out of it for an hour and a half on-stage throw it in the case and the next day it would be in-tune, at least with itself.

I found the 335 to be more versatile than I expected. I never had a problem with feedback unless I wanted it, and then easily controllabe. I found on our more mellow material I could get the beautiful, rich, full tones i was seeking but when I wanted loud and nasty, it gets nasty.

Also the 76' 335 has a coil splitter. I can turn off my back pick-up and split the front one to a single coil which also adds to the versatility and produces a drier solid body sound. I think it was only the '76 335 that has coil splitter feature.

Anyway, it obviously gets my recommendation. In my life plenty of great guitars have come and gone, but I will have the 76' 335 'til I die.

I've got a 335 (no feedback issues for me, even cranking out of a 60's Fender Bassman) and a '52 vintage reissue Tele, and if I could only choose one (a choice I hope I never have to make), I would have to choose the telecaster -- of course my tele is my favorite electric. Choosing between the strat and the 335 would be much tougher choice, especially because the strat has sentimental value (my first big guitar purchase at the ripe old age of sixteen -- I've had it now almost half of my life). Sentiment goes a long way -- no amount of money (and people have offered some nice amounts) could part me from my '67 Gibson Dove passed down to me from my dad even though that model year had a somewhat annoying adjustable bridge.

Anyway, choosing a guitar is a very personal matter, and often time logic should be ignored. Go with your gut. When you get your hands on the right guitar, well, you just know it's right.

Like a few other's here, I have an ES-335. I'd always wanted one and finally broke down and picked one up a few years back.

es335-guitar.jpg

Since then it's become my main guitar. I love the rich full sound that is great for both rhythm or leads. Of course no guitar is the be all end all, so I still turn to my Strat on occasion when I need the treble-y bite that Fenders excel at (love the sound of the neck pick-up on them too.) I love using the Telecaster as well as it's a great sounding guitar that is quite versatile; my next guitar is probably going to be a Tele Thinline, I've always liked those. Of course I'd really love a Jazzmaster too... someday damnit, someday :).

• 3 months later...

So much for the 335...I got a reissue Jaguar from the early 2000s. I got a great deal on it so I'm pretty happy. It sounds really good, I just think I'm going to change the bridge out to a Mustang one, which would rid it of the two biggest problems I have with it: The strings jumping out of the saddles and the slight buzzing whenever my hands aren't near the neck/body. Anyone know if it's easy to do (I could do it myself) or otherwise?

I'll take some pics of it next week when I get back home so ya'll can see it.

As people have mentioned, it's about sound and what you want from a guitar -- if you go the hollow body route (or semi-hollow), go with the best you can afford. I have two hollow bodies, an ES-330 and an ES-335, but both are vintage Gibsons. We don't have any Telecasters, as I'm partial to vintage Gibsons and my husband likes Strats, so can't help with any opinions on the teles, other than play them and see if you like the sound and the feel. As has been mentioned, guitars are very personal choices.

So much for the 335...I got a reissue Jaguar from the early 2000s. I got a great deal on it so I'm pretty happy. It sounds really good, I just think I'm going to change the bridge out to a Mustang one, which would rid it of the two biggest problems I have with it: The strings jumping out of the saddles and the slight buzzing whenever my hands aren't near the neck/body. Anyone know if it's easy to do (I could do it myself) or otherwise?

I'll take some pics of it next week when I get back home so ya'll can see it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Jaguar was designed as a jazz guitar and as such was intended to be used with heavier guage flatwound strings (I'm talking .11-.13). Heavier guage strings like this will be less likely to jump out of the saddles, and setting the bridge closer to the body while adjusting the saddles upwards should minimize any string buzz.

Of course, there are other options for the non-jazz player or those that prefer lighter guaged strings. I know that a lot of Jag owners replace the original bridge with one from a Mustang so that you only have one groove per saddle, eliminating the liklihood of the strings jumping. Another option I've heard of is modding the guitar with a "buzz stop" -- a bar mounted above the tremelo system to increase the angle of the strings behind the bridge thus decreasing string buzz.

I have a Jazzmaster with a mustang bridge. Make sure that the mustang bridge that you are buying is not one that has gaps between the saddles. Many of the reissue ones that you'll find at most of the mail order companies have saddles that are too small for a jaguar or Jazzmaster leaving gaps between them. The gaps cause both a ringing from the strings behind the bridge and also buzz. The vintage mustang bridges are ok but run about 100-150 bucks on ebay. Also you might be able to find some vintage mustang saddles which you could use to replace the ones on your stock bridge, creating a mustang bridge. That might be a cheaper alternative. I know Nels uses a vintage mustang bridge on his main Jazzmaster. I personally like the sound of the mustang bridge better than the stock one. It is possible to set up the stock one to remove the buzzing. You can always file down the grooves in the stock bridge to give a deeper slot for the string like a mustang bridge. I am not sure if with the fairly new mustang reissue from fender if that bridge has the same problems I've experienced with a mustang bridge. I personally do feel that the mustang bridge adds sustain. One other thing to do to work on the standard stock bridge is to use blue Loctite, which is a thread locker. You can buy it at any hardware store. Just apply it to the bridge on the saddles and intonation screws and it will tighten up a lot of the buzzing. Its fully removable and it will make it harder to make adjustments. The other thing about the mustang bridge is it locks you into the 7.25" radius which can cause fretting out with bends above the 12th fret. I think Jazzmasters and Jaguars are really cool instruments that are underrated by a lot of guitarists because they do require a lot of work to maintain, but the payoff is worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbup