Sgt Pepper must die!

yup. i have it ready to give back to you whenever. it was ok, but nothing earth-shattering. i think that's what you said about it when you gave it to me, come to think of it.

Yea, it was interesting enough....

Sometimes people who had relatively interesting lives aren't really that interesting when you try and write about it. I thought DeRogotis missed the boat on delving more deeply into his actual writing (Carborator Dung is an okay book, but a better one would collect his actual reviews) and got pretty involved in what a jerk he was. It is pretty obvious he was a jerk (and who needed to keep hearing about his bad hygene??), so once that was established the rest was actually sort of dull.

(I found it interesting that Bangs hated John Prine....I wonder if he would take that back had he lived.)

LouieB

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I knew this was available, but I don't think this has many actual reviews from Creem and Rolling Stone. If it did I woudl get it. I just think it would be interesting to read his opinions about albums that may or may not have stood the test of time and see how correct he was in his initial impressions.

LouieB

Yea, it was interesting enough....

Sometimes people who had relatively interesting lives aren't really that interesting when you try and write about it. I thought DeRogotis missed the boat on delving more deeply into his actual writing (Carborator Dung is an okay book, but a better one would collect his actual reviews) and got pretty involved in what a jerk he was. It is pretty obvious he was a jerk (and who needed to keep hearing about his bad hygene??), so once that was established the rest was actually sort of dull.

(I found it interesting that Bangs hated John Prine....I wonder if he would take that back had he lived.)

LouieB

Prine is dead? :stunned

I asked Jim D about compiled works foor bangs writings and he indicated that it was in the hands of his estate and they had not indicated yes or no that they were going to compile them into volumes. I think volumes of reviews, articles based on subject or publication, or era's would all be great reads.

I suggest listening to them on the car stereo while driving into New York City. Then you'll get them.

I hear ya on this about VU, but I find it a bit condescending.

Prine is dead? :stunned

I asked Jim D about compiled works foor bangs writings and he indicated that it was in the hands of his estate and they had not indicated yes or no that they were going to compile them into volumes. I think volumes of reviews, articles based on subject or publication, or era's would all be great reads.

Funny....no unlike Bangs, Prine is a survivor, both literally and figuratively.

Thanks for the info on that. I think that his reviews would be a hoot.

LouieB

Speaking of which - there is a Creem book coming out in November.

I wonder why they have not yet began putting out the magazine - they said it would be soon - a few years ago now.

I would imagine their financing fell through. I'm not sure who, in this day and age, would pay to have something like that printed on actual paper.

I hear ya on this about VU, but I find it a bit condescending.

Not meant to be. Are you sensitive about New York City and those of us who live nearby?

I would imagine their financing fell through. I'm not sure who, in this day and age, would pay to have something like that printed on actual paper.

Not meant to be. Are you sensitive about New York City and those of us who live nearby?

Well, they have a website and a private message board - too bad they can't get it together. We need a real rock magazine.

So its less a matter of listening wrong than it is a matter of listening in the wrong place? :P

No. I just have a very memorable memory of listening to the VU and Nico while piloting an Oldsmobile diesel station wagon filled with teenage girls into the lower parts of Manhattan. "Run Run Run" is like the ultimate "hurtling down the FDR Drive in a car you can't quite control" song. Seriously, the jumpiness and intensity of NYC is the perfect match for (and genesis of) Velvets' raw freneticism. Some music is placeless and timeless; the VU is not, in my humble (but considered) opinion.

Some music is placeless and timeless; the VU is not, in my humble (but considered) opinion.

Well, I've been an instant fan as early as I heard the first seconds of "I Can't Stand It" on the VU vinyl album, not to speak of all the songs of all the other albums, and I've never been to New York.

I'm pretty sure the fact it's tied to a place and a time is what makes it especially original and timeless.

Well, I've been an instant fan as early as I heard the first seconds of "I Can't Stand It" on the VU vinyl album, not to speak of all the songs of all the other albums, and I've never been to New York.

I'm pretty sure the fact it's tied to a place and a time is what makes it especially original and timeless.

I don't really follow you on the last line there, but I will say that if you listen to the Velvets in NYC, it brings out a dimension of feeling that may not be readily apparent if you listen to them elsewhere.