Meh...

I hate when they make up characters in true stories just to sell a movie (IE, another Denzel movie, "Biko")... the Denzel Washington character is real, this script was floating around and had multiple directors and stars attached (including Cheadle) over the past few years, could never get made...so what'd they do? Rewrite the movie to include a part for a White Movie Star (Russel Crowe) to play the "Reporter with a Heart of Gold, Conflicted but drawn at the same time to a powerful, yet evil African American". Would have liked to have seen the original script shot as planned.

Meh...

I hate when they make up characters in true stories just to sell a movie (IE, another Denzel movie, "Biko")... the Denzel Washington character is real, this script was floating around and had multiple directors and stars attached (including Cheadle) over the past few years, could never get made...so what'd they do? Rewrite the movie to include a part for a White Movie Star (Russel Crowe) to play the "Reporter with a Heart of Gold, Conflicted but drawn at the same time to a powerful, yet evil African American". Would have liked to have seen the original script shot as planned.

Didn't denzel washington play stephen biko like 15 years ago?!

And Biko was a a "powerful, yet evil African American"? He didn't come across that way in the Peter Gabriel song ...

And Biko was a a "powerful, yet evil African American"? He didn't come across that way in the Peter Gabriel song ...

Uh no. The point is Cry Freedom couldnt be sold as a movie about Stephen Biko so they re-created the movie to be about the white guy (the Kevin Kline character) who WROTE Biko's biography and Biko ended up as a secondary character who was helped by this "White Angel".

• 4 months later...

Ridley Scott best for me was Alien. I am a big fan of his along with his brother Tony. I liked Gladiator also.

I just saw and really enjoyed American Gangster, maybe because I had no previous knowlegde of the actual story and what is made up or not. Just as a movie, it was entertaining. Very long movie but my interest was there the whole time. Helps that I am a big fan of Denzel and Russel. I recommend this movie to anyone.

i hate that ridley scott is better known for the shitfest that was gladiator than the brilliance that was bladerunner.

I agree.... Alien is the 1st film that pops in my mind by him though.

boobs?

Dude...there boobs ALL OVER that movie...Gratuitious coke whore bewbs and boosh.