Bush Commutes Libby Sentence

A while back I learned a new phrase, "Yellow Dog Democrat". If the Democrats throw a yellow dog up as their candidate, I'm voting for it. Anything to remove these old boys from office. Bastards can sit on their piles of oily money and rot in hell.

Hell...I'd even vote for a "$2...or best offer" yard sale toaster oven as opposed to ANY of the current GOP candidates...assuming yellow dog drops out of the race or fails to get the nomination.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

part of the problem is we are conditioned to think like politicians rather than as citizens. we should not worry about what will play well politically as much as we should think about what is best for the country. we're the combustibles in the engine of democracy, and that's a system of government that isn't always neat or pretty.

bush should be impeached for the illegal wire tapping. cheney should be impeached for leaking valerie plame. gonzo should be fired for incompetence, but should have never been hired after the torture memos. of all the "conservatives" wielding near absolute power, only the wingnuts on the supreme court are playing by the rules, and even they're stretching credibility in essentially ending brown v. board.

I pretty much agree with Olbermann on just about anything that happens these days - but I do find his "special comments" to be pretty self absorbed and superfluous.

Sorry, but what? What, exactly, do you mean? Olbermann is about the only talking head in the mainstream media who has the courage to say such things, and you're taking him to task for being "self absorbed and superfluous"? :no

I am talking about his delivery, etc in the special comments thing.....I watch him all the time, and like I said he and I agree on just about everything. I love the fact he speaks the truth and says such things.....but those special comments get way too long winded, and way too superfluous. If he cut them down by like half the time, it might work better for me. I am not talking about the message, but the delivery. That's all.

FYI - I watch Olbermann almost every night.

yeah sort of - though O'Reilly is WAY more obnoxious.

I was pretty stoked with Air America came on the radio and then was dismayed to discover that a good portion of the hosts were just left wing versions of the asshats that populate right wing radio - the loud, sensationalism of it all just really irritates me. I liked Rachel Maddow - but so many others just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I was pretty stoked with Air America came on the radio and then was dismayed to discover that a good portion of the hosts were just left wing versions of the asshats that populate right wing radio - the loud, sensationalism of it all just really irritates me.

When I saw that Greenwald doc about Fox News, Outfoxed, I felt that it suffered from regrettable tunnel vision: While it accurately charged Fox with bastardizing "journalism" through hysterical, fear-mongering mutations of the news, which effectively shut down intelligent discourse, the film erred, I think, by dogmatically singling out Fox as the sole offender.

There's a lot to be said for holding them accountable for the shit they've pulled. If Bush & Co. continue to get a free pass, it sends a very scary message to future leaders: do whatever you want because the American people are completely powerless to stop you. Double plus ungood!

There's a lot to be said for holding them accountable for the shit they've pulled. If Bush & Co. continue to get a free pass, it sends a very scary message to future leaders: do whatever you want because the American people are completely powerless to stop you. Double plus ungood!

True. And you know it will happen. While there was a little bit of outcry from the democrats about the Bush wire tapping programs, it was mostly political to get into office. Notice how they haven't pursued it anymore. Look at the patriot act.

True. And you know it will happen. While there was a little bit of outcry from the democrats about the Bush wire tapping programs, it was mostly political to get into office. Notice how they haven't pursued it anymore. Look at the patriot act.

The Democrats are pursuing the wiretapping issue as we speak. Patrick Leahy just issued subpeonas to Dick Cheney's office regarding the program.

The Democrats are pursuing the wiretapping issue as we speak. Patrick Leahy just issued subpeonas to Dick Cheney's office regarding the program.

Are these the same subpoenas that Cheney and Bush have brushed off? It's not likely that Alberto Gonzales will enforce them.

Are these the same subpoenas that Cheney and Bush have brushed off? It's not likely that Alberto Gonzales will enforce them.

Yeah, I'm not saying that the subpeonas will necessarily result in anything, I just meant to point out that the Democrats are in fact pursuing the issue.

And Leahy has said that he is willing to vote to hold them in contempt of Congress if they do not cooperate. Of course a whole lot of other people would have to also vote that way in order for anything to happen, but he's trying.

So the White House is now criticizing Bill Clinton for his criticism of the Libby commutation, using Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich to call into question his own practices.

Never mind that Rich's pardon had been called for by his attorney -- a guy by the name of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

:stunned

So the White House is now criticizing Bill Clinton for his criticism of the Libby commutation, using Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich to call into question his own practices.

Never mind that Rich's pardon had been called for by his attorney -- a guy by the name of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

:stunned

Odd coincidences notwithstanding, Clinton has never given (what I consider to be) a good explanation for the Rich pardon. Especially given Rich's ex-wife's $$ contributions. Of course Rich's lawyer is going to argue for a pardon. That's what lawyers do. It's their job. The fact that Libby was the lawyer there is a red herring in my eyes. Libby's "demand" for a pardon does not cleanse what Clinton did.

Clinton should have known that this is exactly the sort of response he would get from Tony Snow and the rest of the right. And it allows the right to shrug their shoulders and focus on what Bill Clinton did instead of what Bush did.