Harry Potter #7: All Spoiler Thread

What an arduous read. I read that article twice and still don't get his point...

i thought it was great! certainly better written than the book.

btw, nerdy, when i read your post, i could totally see you waving your wrist around when you said 'arduous,' perhaps even rolling your eyes a little. i hope a fainting couch was nearby.

:lol

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought it was great! certainly better written than the book.

btw, nerdy, when i read your post, i could totally see you waving your wrist around when you said 'arduous,' perhaps even rolling your eyes a little. i hope a fainting couch was nearby.

:lol

I figured if I was going to reply to that article, I needed to, at the very least use an SAT word. I was going to say "poopy read", but I save that for Pitchfork articles...

But really, sure it was well written, but I didn't pick up the point. Maybe I'm just too dense, but it seemed like he was just writing for writing's sake and didn't actually say anything that stuck with me.

• 3 years later...

I'm bumping this for movie discussion. I bumped the all-spoilers rather than the no-spoilers thread, because, well, who cares about spoilers for the movie versions? ;)

I reread it over the past few days and I just have to say the scene where Harry buries Dobby was one of, if not the, most well written parts of any of the Harry Potter series. That was an amazing, intense scene.

This scene will be in the second movie, I assume? Although, I'm kind of thinking they'll just skip this bit entirely, because I'm not sure how well it will translate to the screen. I'm getting pissed off about this possibility in advance, just in case.

I was also not thrilled with all of the hopping around from place to place that Harry, Hermione, and Ron were forced to do. It felt a bit repetitive, that they kept having to move on, set up camp, set up the protective spells... I understood the need for it in the context of the story, but I was less than thrilled with those scenes.
i think those scenes will translate well to the film, but in the book--not so much. Same with all the yackity yack especially from dumbledore. I am in the process of rewriting the final book, taking out all the exposition and back story regarding Tom Riddle, and Dumbledore and turning it into a prequel that would be released (in my time machine) after Goblet of Fire. I will post it here first.

From the reviews I've seen, this is kind of the problem with this first-half movie, which is sort of what I expected. Lots of yakety-yak, H/R/H angst, etc., not enough action. I am looking forward to the fake-out multiple-Harrys escape from Little Whinging, and Bill and Fleur's wedding, at the beginning of this one. But after that, I think it's going to be pretty slow going.

During my lunch hour, I stumbled geekily upon this review (minorly spoiler-y, fyi) http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/mwop/moviefile/2010/11/harry-potter-and-the-deathly-h.php which gives a much heartier thumbs-up than most other reviews I've read. And in some ways, reads as if it was written entirely in response to the concerns I posted above!

I liked this movie better than any of the others, with the possible exception of Prisoner. I think the early movies are really children's fantasy, whereas the later ones are definitely for adults.

Next up -- I will read them all by the time that HP7II comes out this summer.