Harry Potter #7: All Spoiler Thread

I guess we're to assume Luna and Neville are married?

When she was first asked about the possibility of Luna hooking up with Neville Longbottom several years ago, Rowling
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reread it over the past few days and I just have to say the scene where Harry buries Dobby was one of, if not the, most well written parts of any of the Harry Potter series. That was an amazing, intense scene.

I reread it over the past few days and I just have to say the scene where Harry buries Dobby was one of, if not the, most well written parts of any of the Harry Potter series. That was an amazing, intense scene.

Incredibly poignant. I agree.

Incredibly poignant. I agree.

I've always been a critic of her literary skills, as I think she's an excellent story teller, but her writing leaves something to be desired at times. With that chapter (and with certain others throughout the series) she really showed that she can elevate her writing beyond simply telling a story.

:wave

let down by the book

thank goodness. i was afraid there was going to be 3 pages of people telling me i read the wrong book or something.

i can't exactly pinpoint what it is i didn't like about the book. it's just the entire story of the last book. i couldn't stand it. it went in a different direction than i felt like it should. and the entire book seemed really loose, and contradictive in parts.

i've grown with harry. i read the first one when i was young. and now i'm 17 reading the last one. i kinda feel ashamed that i'm the one who doesn't like the final one.

I was sorry that this story was taking place almost entirely outside of Hogwarts. Kind of like Buffy the Vampire Slayer being in high school, I liked the idea that all of this was taking place inside a school, that this was just a normal life for these kids.

I was also not thrilled with all of the hopping around from place to place that Harry, Hermione, and Ron were forced to do. It felt a bit repetitive, that they kept having to move on, set up camp, set up the protective spells... I understood the need for it in the context of the story, but I was less than thrilled with those scenes.

i think those scenes will translate well to the film, but in the book--not so much. Same with all the yackity yack especially from dumbledore. I am in the process of rewriting the final book, taking out all the exposition and back story regarding Tom Riddle, and Dumbledore and turning it into a prequel that would be released (in my time machine) after Goblet of Fire. I will post it here first.

i think those scenes will translate well to the film, but in the book--not so much. Same with all the yackity yack especially from dumbledore. I am in the process of rewriting the final book, taking out all the exposition and back story regarding Tom Riddle, and Dumbledore and turning it into a prequel that would be released (in my time machine) after Goblet of Fire. I will post it here first.

Why thank you, Jen! :lol

Now see, I like the backstory stuff! The Dumbledore stuff, especially.

Me too. I agree about the repetitive camping to a degree, though it seems more tedious in retrospect than it did when I was reading the book. I kind of liked that the book took place mostly outside Hogwarts, just because it underscores how much has changed between the first books and this last one. I thought it was fitting that they were back at Hogwarts for the last battle, though.

Though it was fun to get the 19 years later glimpse, I mostly wish the epilogue wasn't there. It seems like cheating somehow for J.K. Rowling to tell everyone exactly what happens to these characters in the future, but not have to go through the work of actually getting them there via storytelling. I realize that's kind of ridiculous since they're her characters, but that's still how I feel.

Overall, though, I thought the book was amazing. I was really impressed with how well it was all planned out from the beginning. I did not get the sense that much had changed from her original conception of the storyline.

i appreciated reading the backstory, but i think that the backstory could have been its own book, and a really awesome book at that.

This is a delayed reaction to this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a series of "prequels" at some point. I also would not be surprised if JKR decides she can't be bothered to write them herself, and just licenses the characters for that purpose.

I was under the impression that when Voldemort 'killed' Harry, the scar disappeared. Yet, it is there in the epilogue.

He had it tattooed back on later, during his goth phase.

I was under the impression that when Voldemort 'killed' Harry, the scar disappeared. Yet, it is there in the epilogue.

I tore through this one way too fast, and I should probably go back and re-read some of the more relevant parts, but I don't remember that happening at all.

I tore through this one way too fast, and I should probably go back and re-read some of the more relevant parts, but I don't remember that happening at all.

"Under the impression" may mean I just made it up in my head as I was reading it.

• 2 weeks later...