Can't Stand It

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wikipedia does not count as a source... if you read the Wilco book "Learning How to Die" you'll find out that they had already recorded the song, the label wanted a single and David Kahne specifically reworked it himself. In fact, Jeff and Jay both stated that his version was in every way superior to their version. So for those of you how want to place blame for "Can't Stand It" please direct it toward the radio-ready overproduction of one David Kahne, and not Tweedy or Bennett. Also, it's a pretty damn good song.

hence why everyone says it's louder. but I read the book too, and if I recall correctly they say they actually cooperated with him in the musical sense, too, and he mixed it?

I would take Kot's book over the seductively-easy-to-use-but-FULL-OF-DAMNED-LIES Wikipedia.

Guest Jules
I would take Kot's book over the seductively-easy-to-use-but-FULL-OF-DAMNED-LIES Wikipedia.

Last I checked, most of Wikipedia's Wilco entry is credited to Kot's book.

Last I checked, most of Wikipedia's Wilco entry is credited to Kot's book.

That's as may be, but rather than go back and forth between the entry and the book, it's more efficient to use the book, and in the case we're talking about, the book and the entry contradict each other. While praise for Greg Kot and his book is not universal, I would trust someone that works for one of the leading newspapers in the U.S. over an anonymous Wikipedia adder-to. I imagine that much of what is on Wikipedia is right, or at least right enough to satisfy one's own intellectual curiosity, but at the news organization I work for, we don't allow our writers to cite it.

Guest Jules
That's as may be, but rather than go back and forth between the entry and the book, it's more efficient to use the book, and in the case we're talking about, the book and the entry contradict each other. While praise for Greg Kot and his book is not universal, I would trust someone that works for one of the leading newspapers in the U.S. over an anonymous Wikipedia adder-to. I imagine that much of what is on Wikipedia is right, or at least right enough to satisfy one's own intellectual curiosity, but at the news organization I work for, we don't allow our writers to cite it.

fair enough