Can't Stand It

can someone upload the acoustic version? i had no clue he played it solo.

I don't know how to put the song up here by itself, but here is the link (courtesy of the owl and the bear) to the recording of the Living Room show from March 3, 2007 in which Jeff plays Can't Stand It. It's song 13 on the third disc....enjoy!!!

http://www.owlandbear.com/2007/05/15/hoste...y-march-3-2007/

:)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to hear that song stripped down.

As it stands on the record, probably one of the worst atrocities the band has ever commited. The way the vocals come in on the first verse "yuck". Its the closest wilco has ever gotten and will ever get (and at that its no where near as bad as) to Smashmouth. Sure Smashmouth would never have the Brian Wilson edge that song has, but I can still imagine it on a Shrek 3 preview "The way things go," (green Mike Myers hugs his donkey) "you get so low" (the princess gets kidnapped).

Summerteeth was the first Wilco album I ever bought, and therefore Can't Stand It was the first Wilco song I heard. I love the song, but the bells/chimes are a bit too much. I wonder if those were added when Jeff/Jay had to rework it for the record company or if that was Jay's idea from the start...

I don't know how to put the song up here by itself, but here is the link (courtesy of the owl and the bear) to the recording of the Living Room show from March 3, 2007 in which Jeff plays Can't Stand It. It's song 13 on the third disc....enjoy!!!

http://www.owlandbear.com/2007/05/15/hoste...y-march-3-2007/

:)

And you can thank me :lol

It's also on the 2-20-06 solo show from Otto's.

I need to hear that song stripped down.

As it stands on the record, probably one of the worst atrocities the band has ever commited.

Testify Brother!!!!!

Atrocity is the perfect word to discribe a song that fails to meet your expectations, hell I equate the entire Summerteeth album to a Stalinist purge.

to me, this song is just so over produced, it doesn't even sound like Wilco. I feel the same way about Nothingsevergonnastandinmywayagain.

I think this is the worst song they could have used to open the album with...I had the hardest time warming up to Summerteeth this song sets the whole thing up so poorly.

I've gotta disagree with this. I remember putting the disc in for the first time and being a bit alarmed by the bells. I thought it was a truck or something outside at first. I was confused. A bit scared, maybe. But- it got my attention. What at first seemed like a novelty to me later revealed itself as a nice fit for the song.

I like the song quite a bit. I really like the time changes in it and the ethereal feel the bells lend it.

I dont like it- the band themselves only recorded the song at the request of the record company to try and have a single and they decided to put it first as it didnt really fit with the rest of the album. I agree with that but I would have put it last. I dont really like most songs where jeff seems to try too hard to "rock out" (kicking television, cant stand it, im a wheel, shake it off, etc) Summerteeth has some great songwriting but this is not one of them.

Guest Jules
I dont like it- the band themselves only recorded the song at the request of the record company to try and have a single and they decided to put it first as it didnt really fit with the rest of the album. I agree with that but I would have put it last. I dont really like most songs where jeff seems to try too hard to "rock out" (kicking television, cant stand it, im a wheel, shake it off, etc) Summerteeth has some great songwriting but this is not one of them.

:no

Cite source, please. And what do you have against rocking?

Cite source, please.

Does Wikipedia count?

In 1999, Warner Brothers was still trying to recover from the $16 billion debt that it acquired in a merge with Time Inc. As a result, Warner's record labels were pressured to produce musical acts that would result in hits, rather than album-oriented rock. Reprise was led by Howie Klein, who had authorized the release of Being There as a double CD and was willing to let Wilco produce Summerteeth without label input. However, when Klein played the album for Reprise's A&R department, they demanded a radio single for the album. Wilco agreed to do this "once and once only," and recorded a radio-friendly version of "Can't Stand It" at the request of David Kahne, the head of the A&R department. The single version of "Can't Stand It" failed to cross over from Triple-A radio to alternative rock stations. Consequently, the album sold only 200,000 copies, significantly less than Being There. This was despite critical acclimation

Wikipedia does not count as a source... if you read the Wilco book "Learning How to Die" you'll find out that they had already recorded the song, the label wanted a single and David Kahne specifically reworked it himself. In fact, Jeff and Jay both stated that his version was in every way superior to their version. So for those of you how want to place blame for "Can't Stand It" please direct it toward the radio-ready overproduction of one David Kahne, and not Tweedy or Bennett. Also, it's a pretty damn good song.