Can't Stand It

I introduced my friendo to Wilco about 6 months ago. Got him to go to a concert and everything and he likes the band a lot now. He was listenting to Summerteeth the other day and commented on how much he liked Can't Stand It. Thought it had a good grove and was very catchy. I mentioned to him that I've read a lot of negative comments about this song on this board and that a lot of people seem to dislike the song.

So, all you Can't Stand It haters, why do you not like this song...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've always loved it. i remember first time i heard it when the first note scared the crap out of me since i had the volume turned up too loud :lol

even jeff said at one point that they didnt like it much. the record company wanted a "single" on summerteeth. weird consiudering most songs on that album would make good radio tunes.

good see he busted it out early this year at a solo show again though

i love/hate it. it is catchy, but it commits many pop pet peeves of mine. its too fucking loud, it has chimes/bells, there are a million other overdubs (problem with Summerteeth in general), and that section of jeff repeating "speakers speaking in code" really annoys me.

This song is one of Wilco's greatest achievements.

I feel that the music undermines the songwriting here. You can make that argument for the entire album, of course, but I think that the juxtaposition of Jeff's songwriting and Jay's lush, dense, melodic studio musings works for me on just about every other Summerteeth song. I'm pretty CSI was produced by some outsider brought in to tailor the song into a "hit."

I was never a really big fan of this song, and I admit, I would skip it on occasion...but since hearing Jeff's solo acoustic version, its taken on a whole new meaning for me and I appreciate it so much more now.

:thumbup