String Cheese Incident--Red Rocks 8/12/07

Setlist:

I (Acoustic): Lester Had a Coconut, Long Journey Home, I've Just Seen a Face, Walls of Time, Panama Red, Hobo Song, Stingray

II: One Step Closer>Rhum 'n Zouc, Sirens, Come As You Are, Indian Creek, Best Feeling*>Fuel For the Road*, Way Back Home

III: Restless Wind, Piece of Mine, Looking Glass>Drifting, Rain, Rhythm of the Road>Bumpin' Reel>Shine

E 1: Fearless#>Whiskey Before Breakfast, Good Times Around the Bend

E2 : TEXAS!

*= w/ Keller Williams

#=Pink Floyd cover

Wow, a Cheese thread. And I thought we were pushing it with all the Grateful Dead threads around here lately! :lol

So how was it? I've never really been into SCI, but I'd imagine the show was a pretty big deal, what with it being the last one and all. The real question now is with Phish gone and now Cheese, who is going to take over the role of punching bag for the whole scene??

And the answer is: Widespread Panic! :lol

Hey q23 if you've ever seen the Cheese post somethin' in the thread over in SES.

And the answer is: Widespread Panic! :lol

Hey q23 if you've ever seen the Cheese post somethin' in the thread over in SES.

I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that WSP had begun to reach a respectable maturity. :P They've never been as goofy and easily-mocked as some of the others. (or maybe I'm just saying that because I'm defensive that Panic circa '96 or so still arguably holds the #1 spot for the most amazing concert I've ever had the pleasure to see in person)

I never saw SCI, but I will venture over to peek at the thread you speak of.

Well, they do have Jimmy Herring now, arguably the finest guitarist on the jam scene. I just said WSP 'cuz it was the only thing I could think of...wait, the Disco Biscuits...yeah, that's it.

Well, they do have Jimmy Herring now, arguably the finest guitarist on the jam scene. I just said WSP 'cuz it was the only thing I could think of...wait, the Disco Biscuits...yeah, that's it.

YMSB has a pretty rabid following these days, too. They're headlining Red Rocks the last few years and occupy the same home turf as SCI....

wait, the Disco Biscuits...yeah, that's it.

Sound Tribe?

Jimmy Herring does indeed play a fine geetar. I hadn't heard him w/ WSP until I heard a recording of this year's Bonnaroo. Very good, but definitely gives them a different feel. I had actually heard some Panic fans complain about him and I thought they must be insane cuz I knew the guy is ridiculously good. After listening, I guess I can agree that it sounds like a different band now than when Mikey was around (his style was unique, to say the least)...but he's been gone a while now and Jimmy is a nice addition.

Wow, a Cheese thread. And I thought we were pushing it with all the Grateful Dead threads around here lately! :lol

Digital Slap!

The grateful dead are not a jam band! They never have been and never will be!

These bands SCI, WSP,STS9, DB, Umph. those are jambands.

Cheese used to be decent in the mid 90's when they were still bluegrassy then they started to get all techno-ish in their jams.

But this scene has turned into nothing more then a place to foster drugs addicts. Try going to a festival now and its just a bunch of kids who are running rampent on E and dont even give a rats ass about the music.

Even Yonder has gone much more poppy in the last year.

Sorry to rain on the parade. I'm glad Cheese went out with a bang but I'm glad Nershi will be making some real music. I saw him sit in with Railroad earth at 10lkf last year and it was awesome!

If you guys like bluegrass and the dead you need to check out Railroad earth they are the best thing the scene has to offer.

If you guys like bluegrass and the dead you need to check out Railroad earth they are the best thing the scene has to offer.

Haven't been to a SCI show in a few years and I'm sure there's still plenty of drug use but the tunes were what mattered and I still think their tunes/playing were pretty accomplished and relevant. Granted they did stray from their original focus of traditional/progressive Bluegrass but why wouldn't they?

YMSB: Have you heard their latest album? Go to archives and download/stream some stuff of theirs in the last year, too. Not sure where you're getting the "much more 'poppy'" take. They're definitely still in the Bluegrass vein, imo.

I've seen RE a few times and while they're a decent band I don't get the hype for them.

Haven't been to a SCI show in a few years and I'm sure there's still plenty of drug use but the tunes were what mattered and I still think their tunes/playing were pretty accomplished and relevant. Granted they did stray from their original focus of traditional/progressive Bluegrass but why wouldn't they?

YMSB: Have you heard their latest album? Go to archives and download/stream some stuff of theirs in the last year, too. Not sure where you're getting the "much more 'poppy'" take. They're definitely still in the Bluegrass vein, imo.

I've seen RE a few times and while they're a decent band I don't get the hype for them.

I had their latest album and tossed it. "How bout you" comes to mind right away/ They've started using effects peddles and I just feel its lost some of the bluegrass feel.

Cheese was relevant back when they started but try finding that bonnaroo set its like they repeat the same 4 bars over and over but then again some people like trance.

As for RRE I love their songwriting. They lyrics have a lot more depth and stand up on their own. The member are all great soloists. I saw them recently at summer fest and they blew me away. Same with that 10lkf show which im sure couldbe found on the net. I think RRE works in a jam setting and in a regular bluegrass setting.

But again its all a matter of opionion.

I just can't do the trance. Thats why i loved the dead its more jazz then these other groups.

btw: where does your sig. quote come from?

Digital Slap!

Noted. (still not sure I was deserving of the digital slap, but eh, whatever)

I can understand if you're defensive about lumping the GD in with the current crop of jambands, and yet I'm not sure where else you'd lump them (if, indeed, lumping is what one was looking to do...which I'm not...but, eh, nevermind). I was really just joking around.

Noted. (still not sure I was deserving of the digital slap, but eh, whatever)

I can understand if you're defensive about lumping the GD in with the current crop of jambands, and yet I'm not sure where else you'd lump them (if, indeed, lumping is what one was looking to do...which I'm not...but, eh, nevermind). I was really just joking around.

as was i. Once a prankster always a prankster! :pirate

The grateful dead might be the best example of americana. They took rock/blues/soul/country/folk/bluegrass and of course a healty dose of JAZZ and made their own thing which has yet to be replicated.

"How 'Bout You" is an excellent tune: great beat, decent lyrics, and some damn fine pickin'.

I've got no beef with the "jamgrass" bands utilizing technology or trying their hand at varying styles (the trance-like stuff with SCI...they were huge at Burninhg Man, I've heard). I'd also argue that SCI is /was still relevant up to the end due to their popularity and respect garnered on them by old-timers who've been around for awhile lauding them.

But yes, it is all a matter of opinion anyway, so....

The grateful dead might be the best example of americana.

Here's where I get up on my soapbox to proclaim the virtues of the David Nelson Band (again :stunned ). Nelson, a co-founder of NRPS, really digs into the Americana thing better than anyone currently out there. A scattering of GD tunes (really, only the ones he had a hand in) plus alot of his own material (quite a few of which were co-written with Robert Hunter) & many many songs that go way back to Appalachia & jigs & reels. Barry Sless is a fabulous guitarist w/o being a slavish Garcia imitator. These guys can stretch tunes out but I'd hardly lump them into the jamband category.

Ok, enough of me preachin'! :lol

Here's where I get up on my soapbox to proclaim the virtues of the David Nelson Band (again :stunned ). Nelson, a co-founder of NRPS, really digs into the Americana thing better than anyone currently out there. A scattering of GD tunes (really, only the ones he had a hand in) plus alot of his own material (quite a few of which were co-written with Robert Hunter) & many many songs that go way back to Appalachia & jigs & reels. Barry Sless is a fabulous guitarist w/o being a slavish Garcia imitator. These guys can stretch tunes out but I'd hardly lump them into the jamband category.

Ok, enough of me preachin'! :lol

Love david nelson

Did you see any of the phil shows with Sless in the band?

"How 'Bout You" is an excellent tune: great beat, decent lyrics, and some damn fine pickin'.

I've got no beef with the "jamgrass" bands utilizing technology or trying their hand at varying styles (the trance-like stuff with SCI...they were huge at Burninhg Man, I've heard). I'd also argue that SCI is /was still relevant up to the end due to their popularity and respect garnered on them by old-timers who've been around for awhile lauding them.

But yes, it is all a matter of opinion anyway, so....

SCI is def. relevant to a certin audience. I just don't do the trance thing; again prefrence.

As for Yonder I wont tell anyone don't experiment I just don't think their music has gotten any better for it. Their def. a good band and a lot of fun. It's just not where im gonna get my musical fix. THe new album isn't bad but I don't think its what their best at and I think it was a an attempt for a radio friendly track. Their is some good picking but I just perfer Old and In the Way or John Hartford for newgrass (but i guess they aren't to new anymore).

Bela Fleck is a great example of someone pushing the envelope and still making great music (arugably the best music of his career).

I bet Nershi's new music will be refreshing.That man is too good not to be doing his own thing.Everyone else in the band is very talented but from what I've seen of their side projects,their screwed.

I bet Nershi's new music will be refreshing.That man is too good not to be doing his own thing.Everyone else in the band is very talented but from what I've seen of their side projects,their screwed.

Nershi was always the heart & soul of SCI imo, and the only guy who kept the bluegrass connection going. I'm gonna miss seeing him. His enthusiasm was contagious!

Love david nelson

Did you see any of the phil shows with Sless in the band?

Yeah, I saw a few last summer, and as great as Barry is on the pedal steel I wish they would have turned him loose on the 6 string for some of the jammier stuff. That guy kills me. :worship

Yeah, I saw a few last summer, and as great as Barry is on the pedal steel I wish they would have turned him loose on the 6 string for some of the jammier stuff. That guy kills me. :worship

there was one night in chicago. They did When The Star Goes Blue>Blue Sky with nelson on lead

their was also the fall tour he played lead on a six.

Digital Slap!

Cheese used to be decent in the mid 90's when they were still bluegrassy then they started to get all techno-ish in their jams.

But this scene has turned into nothing more then a place to foster drugs addicts. Try going to a festival now and its just a bunch of kids who are running rampent on E and dont even give a rats ass about the music.

Sorry to rain on the parade. I'm glad Cheese went out with a bang but I'm glad Nershi will be making some real music. I saw him sit in with Railroad earth at 10lkf last year and it was awesome!

Amen, this person said it perfect. Also in my opinion, the last few years of Phish were just the same. I really couldn't wait for them to hang it up for good. There will never be anything like The Grateful Dead again, there truly were one of a kind!!!!!!!!