• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aw fuck it then, i'll just go ahead and get 'deathproof'. watched rob zombie's fake trailer on youtube the other day...classic.

that was awesome. as was, "MACHETE", which if the rumors are true, there's a full length version of it on the "Planet Terror" bonus disk.

51ZJV6EDSWL._AA240_.jpg
I occasionally bump into Mark Borchardt--several times in movie theaters, once in a Target.

I started watching his short movie "Coven" which was one of the extras on the disc. Hmm.....

Saw a bunch of films at the Toronto Film Fest today.

Les Amours d'Astree et de Celadon - I saw this one 'cause it was an Eric Rohmer film. Not his best, but entertaining enough.

L'Avocat de la Terreur - This was a real interesting Barbet Schroeder doc about Jacques Verg

naderphoto2.jpg

I'll admit that I probably would have voted for Ralph Nader (instead of Kang or Kodos) if I was an American. *ducks*

The outtakes on the DVD are excellent. I particularly enjoyed the psyc profiling of Nader.

Saw a bunch of films at the Toronto Film Fest today.

Watcha see today?

For me, the Milwaukee festival is always a highlight of my year. It's coming up at the end of September, and right now I'm scheduled to see at least 26 movies. I'm most excited about these: Bamako; Our Daily Bread; Taxi to the Dark Side; A Battle of Wits; Control; Killer of Sheep; The Banquet; The Unforeseen; The Paper Will Be Blue; For the Bible Tells Me So; Tell No One; In the Shadow of the Moon; The Signal; Avida; King Corn; Lady Chatterley; In Search of a Midnight Kiss; and the usual smattering of shorts programs.

I'll admit that I probably would have voted for Ralph Nader (instead of Kang or Kodos) if I was an American. *ducks*

1. I voted for him. It didn't make a lick of difference - Gore won N.Y. easily - but my mom still holds me responsible for Bush being president.

2. Vanishing Point and American Movie are both in my personal Top 10.

3. The new 3:10 to Yuma is pretty good. We saw it at the Death Star Theater, but it would be a perfect drive-in movie.

1. I voted for him. It didn't make a lick of difference - Gore won N.Y. easily - but my mom still holds me responsible for Bush being president.

At least you can say that you supported your best and brightest. Your mom should watch this doc and perhaps she will change her mind about the Bush thing.

I'm a big believer in the so-called "third party" idea. I almost always vote for the NDP (the closest thing we have to Ralph up here). Although they have a snowball's chance in hell of forming the govt., they often win a few seats in Parliament and keep the Conservatives and/or the Liberals on a tighter leash. The only reason we have universal health care in Canada is because the Liberals adopted the idea from the CCF/NDP under Tommy Douglas. (So it's ironic that Michael Moore turned on Nader after 2000.) It's a shame that it's so tough to do this in the US right now.

Watcha see today?

For me, the Milwaukee festival is always a highlight of my year. It's coming up at the end of September, and right now I'm scheduled to see at least 26 movies. I'm most excited about these: Bamako; Our Daily Bread; Taxi to the Dark Side; A Battle of Wits; Control; Killer of Sheep; The Banquet; The Unforeseen; The Paper Will Be Blue; For the Bible Tells Me So; Tell No One; In the Shadow of the Moon; The Signal; Avida; King Corn; Lady Chatterley; In Search of a Midnight Kiss; and the usual smattering of shorts programs.

Yeah, I always love going to the film fest. It looks like you have some good ones picked out there. I almost went to see "Control" the other day but couldn't fit it into the schedule. There's also a Joy Division doc at the fest here but I think I'll wait for the DVD.

Yesterday:

Dinner with the President: A Nation's Journey - Interesting look at the current political climate in Pakistan and how hard it is to make changes within a strict Islamic culture. The filmmaker was a woman which made it even more interesting, especially when she challenged the president and various community leaders about the disparity between men and women in regards to rights.

Ulzhan - The latest Volker Schlondorff film. Some really spectacular scenery in this one. Quite liked it.

Battle in Seattle - This film was a fictionalized account of the riots during the WTO meetings in 1999. Wasn't too bad an effort for first time director Stuart Townsend. Saw Woody Harrelson, Michele Rodriguez, Charlize Theron and Andre Benjamin at this one.

Garage - Somber film set in small town Ireland. It really nails the sadness and loneliness that can be inherent in such isolated places.

Today:

Starting Out in the Evening - I really liked this one. Frank Langella was really fantastic as an aging writer who finds a renewed creative spark after helping a young woman (Lauren Ambrose) with her masters thesis. Lili Taylor and Lauren Amborse were also very good (loved them both on Six Feet Under too.). Ran into Frank on the way out of this one and gave him some props for his superb performance.

Frontier(s) - This was a French thriller/horror/survival picture, along the lines of a Texas Chain Saw Massacre. It was one of the better films of this genre that I've seen in some time (also one of the most visceral and gory.)

Tomorrow I have 4, including the new Herzog film and the new Coen brothers one.