Surfing through crap on TV last night I stumbled on Ralph Arlyck's Following Sean on PBS, and couldn't turn away. Poignant documentary about life choices, the disconnect between our childhood and adult lives, and relationships. Arlyck did some of the best narrating I've ever heard - so touching and personal. I'd never heard of this guy's film Sean - this was kind of a sequel.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/w.../followingsean/

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49Up_mini-1.embedded.prod_affiliate.4.JPG

I really love this series.

One of the coolest things ever! How cool and normal are Tony and his wife?! I want them for neighbors.

Watched last night on IFC:

1-2001-humannature-usa-87309.jpg

I started watching it about ten minutes in so I had no idea what it was. I looooooved it and was so thrilled about having stumbled upon something and enjoying so much. When the credit began with "directed by Michel Gondry," I thought, "Oh, well of course I enjoyed that."

What is this death star theater that you speak of? Is it fully operational?

We just got a spiff new stadium-seating 'plex here in PKNY. I said to my friend, "It's like going to see a movie on the Death Star."

Watcha see today?

For me, the Milwaukee festival is always a highlight of my year. It's coming up at the end of September, and right now I'm scheduled to see at least 26 movies. I'm most excited about these: Bamako; Our Daily Bread; Taxi to the Dark Side; A Battle of Wits; Control; Killer of Sheep; The Banquet; The Unforeseen; The Paper Will Be Blue; For the Bible Tells Me So; Tell No One; In the Shadow of the Moon; The Signal; Avida; King Corn; Lady Chatterley; In Search of a Midnight Kiss; and the usual smattering of shorts programs.

I really enjoy the milwaukee film fest too although it is a daunting task to decide what to see. Thanks for this list, I'll definitly look for these.

I really enjoy the milwaukee film fest too although it is a daunting task to decide what to see. Thanks for this list, I'll definitly look for these.

If you're around the festival, you'll definitely see me... I'm the guy with the backpack, always taking notes, snapping pictures, and munching granola bars for survival.

Saw 4 films at the fest today:

No Country for Old Men - I really enjoyed this Coen brothers film. Javier Bardem was particularly good, and very creepy as a deranged killer.

Encounters at the End of the World - Werner Herzog's new documentary about his trip to Antarctica. This was full of beautiful scenery and interesting characters. I was lucky enough to meet the man after the film, which was cool as he's one of my favorite filmmakers (very down to earth guy.)

Silent Resident - German film set in a futuristic city. Very abstract in its execution. It reminded me a bit of early Cronenberg (Shivers) and Polanksi (Repulsion & The Tenant.)

When Did You Last See Your Father? - Colin Firth plays a man who returns home after finding out his dad has terminal cancer. The story deals with his mixed feelings about his father, as shown through various flashback segments, and how he comes to grips with his passing, and the impact he made on his life for good and bad. Firth and Broadbent were pretty good in this one.

Another 4 tomorrow (Noah Baumbach, Peter Greenaway, Paul Haggis, Paprika Steen.)

Upstate Films is a gonna be showing some Bergman beginning o' next month. Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries and a couple more. I will be there.

Saw the Noah Baumbach film Margot at the Wedding the other night. If you liked his previous work you'll probably like this one too. This was a keenly observed story about family, and the problems that occur in families (jealousy, resentments, unexpressed feelings, regrets.) This one reminds me of 70's Woody Allen.

Also saw a really dark Danish/Swedish comedy-drama called With Your Permission. This one is worth checking out, unfortunately I can't say the same about the new Peter Greenaway film Nightwatching.

Today I saw the new Ken Loach film It's a Free World.... This one delves into the issues surrounding Eastern European migrants looking for work in the UK. This is typical Loach: gritty, ugly and real.

Also saw the new Catherine Breillat film Une vieille maitresse. This is different from her previous work as it's a period costume drama. There's still a bit of the overt sexuality that her other work embodies, but toned down quite a bit compared to previous films. I'd give this one a 3.5 out of 5. Catherine introduced the film and talked for about 15 minutes before this one started. She looked like she had some serious medical issues recently as she could barely walk without a cane, which is too bad.

The Savages - This one has Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Both were great in this story of siblings dealing with the mental and physical deterioration of their father, as well as their own personal issues.

La Fille Coupee en Deux (A Girl Cut in Two) - Nice to see that Claude Chabrol can still crank out a good film after all these years. This one centers around a woman torn between two men (one an aging writer, the other a young man of inherited wealth.) This film runs the gamut from touching to funny, usually both.

Saw the Noah Baumbach film Margot at the Wedding the other night. If you liked his previous work you'll probably like this one too. This was a keenly observed story about family, and the problems that occur in families (jealousy, resentments, unexpressed feelings, regrets.) This one reminds me of 70's Woody Allen.

I'm very excited about this one but I'm kind of into the Noah Bambaugh thing.

but I'm kind of into the Noah Bambaugh thing.

Me too.

I was a bit leery about this one when I saw the big names attached to it--Nicole Kidman, Jack Black, Jennifer Jason Leigh--but it didn't feel like a typical Hollywood film. Baumbach said when introducing the film, that he was able to do what he wanted without someone looking over his shoulder, just like his previous films.

Kidman and Leigh were great as a pair of estranged sisters, and Black was surprisingly good as Leigh's somewhat depressed fiance (just be warned, he shows his bare ass in this one.)

can-mr-smith-get-to-washington-anymore.jpg

When Gephardt retired, everybody assumed Russ Carnahan--who had a familiar family name--would step right in, but this documentary follows the efforts of political unknown Jeff Smith during the Democratic primary season.

51kMweFnPWL._AA240_.jpg

Went to see this on Sat night. Now, I'm not a fan of Keira and she's a bit wooden in this, but James Mcavoy is fantastic. I'd read the book previously so the "twist" wasn't a surprise. But it was well made, not sure I'd go as mad for it as some of the critics, but still a good film.

In fact the best thing about it was the use of sound. The clicking of a type-writer and the use of different perspectives on the same event was really great very clever and rose it above your average love film.