Vibes for my grandfather

Thank you, everyone. I'm doing fine. I took the day off from work yesterday to have some down time. We had tickets already to see Jason Isbell. I have been really psyched to see his new band for a looong time, so even though I wasn't feeling particularly up to it, we went. I'm so glad I did. Long story short, there was hardly anyone there, and I sat on a table in front of the stage (yes, I said ON a table) and had no one even in my peripheral vision. I felt like I got my own private concert in my living room. It was outstanding. Some people might not understand how I could go to a show the day after my grandfather died, but I know you music lovers will understand how healing it can be to surround yourself with great music and talent. Jason is one of my favorite musicians of all time, so I'm REALLY glad he was the one who came to play last night. He helped me take my mind off my family situation and immerse myself in his music.

I didn't mean this to turn into a show review. :) Tomorrow we'll have a family get together, once my mom gets back from Florida, and then sometime at the end of the month we'll be having a memorial service (he is being cremated). It will be nice to be with the immediate family tomorrow, but it will be laced with sorrow, so I'm very glad I had last night to detox and just have a little fun.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had our family gathering yesterday and my mom brought a lot of pieces of jewelry that were to be doled out based on my grandfather's will. There were some beautiful heirloom pieces and a lot of his military medals and pins. It was really cool to see my mom and her brothers going through everything and sharing memories. Of course, the highlight of the evening was trying to figure out the origins of a very humorous, very mysterious--and yet completely expected--item; a metal sheriff style badge with the phrase "Recycling Ranger". :lol I think that story will be lost forever.

Some people might not understand how I could go to a show the day after my grandfather died, but I know you music lovers will understand how healing it can be to surround yourself with great music and talent.

Jen, I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. Hugs and prayers from Patti and I.

I can COMPLETELY understand your sentiment. Patti drove all the way to Baltimore from central NJ the morning after her grandmother died. She shut her cell phone off and immersed herself in exploring the city with a good friend of hers. It's a completely understandable thing to do... I'm glad that Jason gave you a great show that allowed you to lose yourself, if just for a little while. Again, all the best from us down here.

When my brother died, I was so lost that I couldn't think what to do with myself. I wound up going and just wandering some paths down by the river for hours, needing to be out of the direct flow of the ongoing world. It helped me tremendously to accept that he was gone. It felt transcendent, and music has very much the same qualities to it as solitude in nature. I think the loving hands of the universe steered you well, Jen. You needed to feel a part of something larger than your own pain that night.

What a beautiful story of your family sharing his treasured things.....especially his sheriff's badge! :lol

Thanks for sharing with us.

A few months ago, the night after my grandmother passed away I had already had tickets to see Mavis Staples and the Blind Boys of Alabama......I wasn't sure if I should go, but ended up going with a good friend of mine. It was a beautiful experience and gave me the opportunity to collect myself spiritually and emotionally before heading off to KC for the funeral.

I am glad you were able to have that experience and that your family is able to come together and celebrate his life and find joy in the gifts he left behind.

:cheekkiss