Vibes for my grandfather

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, Jen sweetest, that's so sad. I believe that goodbyes are never forever, but still, realizing that we might have to actually say goodbye...for now...is such a difficult thing. You and your family are all in my most loving thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

You guys are amazing!

He's holding on, in pretty rough shape, but still holding on. After giving up hope and reading him last rites, they got him stabilized on Friday morning and he's had some ups and downs since then. He is on a ventilator, but they are slowly decreasing the amount of work it is doing for him so they can try to strengthen his heart and lungs. Honestly, I don't see a good outcome or a positive quality of life down the road if he does pull through this, but one fantastic thing that has come about by him hanging on is that my mom was able to get down there late Thursday night and actually have a conversation with him when they got him stabilized. Right now he's sedated, and it may very well be that he will not wake up again, so for her to have that time with him was invaluable. As crazy as it may be, I'd like to think that your concentration of energy down his way that night somehow played a part in his temporary recovery. He went from having last rites to sitting up in bed watching TV. Temporary or not, it's pretty incredible. :hug

Thanks for the update, Jen; I'm so glad to hear that your mom got to have some time with him. Miraculous things like that remind you just how powerful the human spirit can be. He continues to be in my prayers, and the Vibe-o-meter has just been turned up to an unprecedented 2,300 vpm.

one fantastic thing that has come about by him hanging on is that my mom was able to get down there late Thursday night and actually have a conversation with him when they got him stabilized.

I love when stuff like this happens - amazing stories surround the ends and near-ends of all my grandparents' lives.

Peace to your grandfather.

Just heard...

they've lowered the oxygen they're giving him and he's still at 100% blood oxygen level which means he's producing his own

they've lowered the amount of ventilator activity and he's still stable which means he's breathing better on his own

they've stopped giving him blood pressure medication and it hasn't risen

his heart rate is stable

the infection in his lungs seems to be slowly decreasing

Amazing.

He's not out of the woods and I wouldn't kid myself into thinking he'll heal up and go home....he's a very sick man. But the improvements, as small as they are, are not what the doctors expected.

He's a fighter, all right!

Just heard...

they've lowered the oxygen they're giving him and he's still at 100% blood oxygen level which means he's producing his own

they've lowered the amount of ventilator activity and he's still stable which means he's breathing better on his own

they've stopped giving him blood pressure medication and it hasn't risen

his heart rate is stable

the infection in his lungs seems to be slowly decreasing

Amazing.

He's not out of the woods and I wouldn't kid myself into thinking he'll heal up and go home....he's a very sick man. But the improvements, as small as they are, are not what the doctors expected.

He's a fighter, all right!

Good to hear.

Well, NoNo's still hanging in and making tiny minuscule improvements each day. I'm still not sure what his quality of life would be if he ever gets through this but one day at a time right now. They lowered the sedation levels to check his neurological responses today.....he opened his eyes when my mom told him to. It's not much but it was enough to give them a boost of hope.

Thanks for the updates, Jen... I know what you mean when you say you're not sure what his quality of life will be, but I know that when my aunt was in the same situation, the hope that she could get through it superceded any other concerns. She was fighting, and that was all that mattered.

I'm praying hard for him to keep fighting.