NEW DBT Album Announced

Here goes again.

About to pack for the third (and final) leg of THE DIRT UNDERNEATH. Boy has this been fun. Originally supposed to be 2-3 weeks in may. A chance to kinda reinvent ourselves to ourselves. Maybe rediscover some old overlooked songs and a way to work the kinks out of some new ones and road test some ideas before embarking on our next album. Instead, we basically worked up the meat of our next album in front of a live audience and had so much fun we added another and now another leg. (Insert favorite three-legged joke here).

As most know, we made new album this summer. BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK

Title comes from a really good Cooley song called Checkout Time In Vegas. We had the easiest time making this album, as it just came out as if it was totally meant to be this way. No debates or even decisions to make, it all just made sense. Everyone shared same vision and it came together like throwing pieces into air and having them land in perfect place.

Then we couldn't find a name for it. Everyone was so happy with the baby that no name seemed good enough.

We wanted 100% agreement (this time) as nothing else had been compromised so why start with title. I personally believe that it's actually best to start with a title and build from there. I did this with the name of the band and about half or more of the albums have had title before the songs themselves. Decoration Day had always been Heathens, but 2 other bands named their albums that that previous summer. Name one now? I digress again.

BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK. it will grow on you. it did me. In the end, we settled for everyone being OK with it.

It was a majority's first choice, and 1 second choice. The other... Hopefully it will grow on all. Of note, Wes Freed loved the title and began drawing ideas based on it before we had even decided. His artwork looks to be best yet and that did affect the final decision.

David Barbe produced once again.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that there are 19 songs on it.

It's coming out the very beginning of 2008. We plan to tour our asses off. But this next few weeks will be the end of THE DIRT UNDERNEATH. It's been great, but it's served its purposes and we're going to be ready to move on.

The new album certainly has been influenced by some of that approach and some of those aspects will continue, but It IS an electric album. It ROCKS (as they say).

See you at the show.

Patters

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to the first post-Isbell album. (Jason's solo album is fantastic--get it if you don't already have it.) The new album's title will have to grow on me, but I'm very happy about the length of the album. Nineteen songs--here's hoping we get a lot of Cooley! Based on what the band has said about the new album, I think we will get a lot of Cooley indeed.

Now if they would just go ahead and announce where the New Years' show is this year. Rumors put it at the 930 Club in DC. That would just be too awesome.

Very exciting news. Looking forward to it. I have to think that there is some pressure on them to put out a great album after Jason's departure....even if it's self-induced. I was always more in the Cooley/Hood camp but their best albums (consistency-wise) were with Jason in my opinion. Either way...looking forward to hearing it.

You people suck at clear communication. So I'm going ask the question that should clear things up now.

Who?

Well, as much as I sympathize with the confusion about acronyms and inside jokes around here, I believe this is pretty common knowledge.

But...

Drive By Truckers

Assuming you haven't checked them out, I would wholeheartedly recommend their work. Screaming guitar work and almost Faulkernesque lyrics.

Crow says...check 'em out.

Ain't about my pistol

Ain't about my boots

Ain't about no northern drives

Ain't about my southern roots

Ain't about my guitars, ain't about my big old amps

"It ain't rained in weeks, but the weather sure feels damp"

Ain't about excuses or alibis

Ain't about no cotton fields or cotton picking lies

Ain't about the races, the crying shame

To the fucking rich man all poor people look the same

Don't get me wrong It just ain't right

May not look strong, but I ain't afraid to fight

If you want to live another day

Stay out the way of the southern thing

Ain't about no hatred better raise a glass

It's a little about some rebels but it ain't about the past

Ain't about no foolish pride, Ain't about no flag

Hate's the only thing that my truck would want to drag

You think I'm dumb, maybe not too bright

You wonder how I sleep at night

Proud of the glory, stare down the shame

Duality of the southern thing

My Great Great Granddad had a hole in his side

He used to tell the story to the family Christmas night

Got shot at Shiloh, thought he'd die alone

From a Yankee bullet, less than thirty miles from home

Ain't no plantations in my family tree

Did NOT believe in slavery, thought that all men should be free

"But, who are these soldiers marching through my land?"

His bride could hear the cannons and she worried about her man

I heard the story as it was passed down

About guts and glory and Rebel stands

Four generations, a whole lot has changed

Robert E. Lee

Martin Luther King

We've come a long way rising from the flame

Stay out the way of the southern thing

The Drive-by Truckers are my favorite band. Words cannot express how much their music means to me. I have seen them live seven times, and I have a policy that I will not miss a show within driving distance. I even flew to Atlanta to see them last New Year's Eve. They play a drunken blistering 3 hour set somewhere every New Year's Eve.

Incredible song writing. Incredible musicianship. Incredible story telling. And they are genuinely nice people.

I cannot recommend them enough.

... and I have a policy that I will not miss a show within driving distance. I even flew to Atlanta to see them last New Year's Eve.

I love that policy!

I believe I spent a few years with that policy in effect for Wilco. :thumbup

But I love DBT as well. I'm scheduled to see "The Dirt Underneath" show soon. And I'm always looking forward to something new from DBT, even without Jason. :hmm

I hope it's better than the half assed Blessing was.

A lot of people don't like A Blessing and a Curse. I have to admit it was a "grower" for me. Gravity's Gone has become one of the best DBT songs out there. Wednesday ROCKS when played live. And "Space City" is just an unbelievable song. One of the best Cooley has done.

I think the new album will have a decidedly different feel, though. I think it will be a return to the Pizza Deliverance/Decoration Day albums. I think the rift between DBT and Isbell started because of this. If you listen to Isbell's solo stuff, it has a very different feel than DBT's earlier stuff. I think there was a big disagreement about the future direction of the band, and they decided to split ways.

I have been so lucky this year to see the dirt underneath and patterson solo and Jason's new band twice. There is nothing like a DBT show...can hardly wait for this album to come out. Patterson told us he would be back in SF in February so let the tour begin. And if you haven't seen Jason's new band check them out...really fine the other day in the park. :pirate

I have been so lucky this year to see the dirt underneath and patterson solo and Jason's new band twice. There is nothing like a DBT show...can hardly wait for this album to come out. Patterson told us he would be back in SF in February so let the tour begin. And if you haven't seen Jason's new band check them out...really fine the other day in the park. :pirate

Unfortunately I have not seen a Dirt Underneath show. They're playing Tulsa next week, and it was SUPPOSED to be a DU show, but Spooner can't make it so it's going to be a rock show. But hell, can you really complain about that?

Isbell's record is great and so are his shows. I caught he and Centro-Matic in Lawrence back in August, and it was one hell of a night. I was pretty torn up when he and DBT split, but now we have two kick ass bands instead of just one.

• 1 month later...

well, it's gonna be too long, but the shana songs are awesome!! she needs to do a solo album. really wish they made it a double or just held off. patterson just doesn't need to put all his damn songs on the dbt albums. especially ones about murder and meth. i've had enough of those. cooley, well, he's the man.

craig

Sounds pretty good. But I'm getting a little tired of so many Patterson songs about the same things. And an extended album without Jason is just going to be a lot more of the same thing, I fear. Shonna does sound really good though. Did she take voice lessons or something? I don't remember her having a particularly good singing voice.

Sounds pretty good. But I'm getting a little tired of so many Patterson songs about the same things. And an extended album without Jason is just going to be a lot more of the same thing, I fear. Shonna does sound really good though. Did she take voice lessons or something? I don't remember her having a particularly good singing voice.

she sings backup on Jason's record and sounds quite good *shrug* ;)

I've heard Drive By Truckers before. I just haven't heard anyone abbreviate DBT and the thought never crossed my mind.

From Road Cases on Southern Rock Opera...

Paint our name on them road cases, stencil and white spray paint

"Drive-by Truckers" on every one or maybe just "DBT"

Gonna get ourselves a big tour bus, maybe even an airplane

Fly around the world and back.

Hope it don't run out of gas.

After a quick first listen to the samples here are my thoughts:

--there don't sound like there are many rockers on this one :ohwell

--Cooley's songs for the most part sound great

--I really dig that Shonna's singing on this record

--Patterson songs this time around by-and-large are a little too mellow for me

Of course I reserve the right to completely change my mind once I hear the whole album.

After a quick first listen to the samples here are my thoughts:

--there don't sound like there are many rockers on this one :ohwell

--Cooley's songs for the most part sound great

--I really dig that Shonna's singing on this record

--Patterson songs this time around by-and-large are a little too mellow for me

Of course I reserve the right to completely change my mind once I hear the whole album.

I concur. :yes