NEW DBT Album Announced

Although the album still won't be released for a little over a month, DBT has released an EP that you can pick up at iTunes and other fine digital music establishments. The BTCD EP includes:

"Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife" (heard Patterson play this at a solo show in Alexandria, VA a year ago)

"3 Dimes Down"

"The Righteous Path"

"The Purgatory Line" (Shonna on lead vox)

They've also got three songs from BTCD up on their Myspace page:

"The Righteous Path"

"I'm Sorry Huston" (Shonna again)

"A Ghost to Most" (kickass Cooley)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got an email today from ticketmaster with stuff that is on sale this week:

Drive By Truckers w/Okkervil River

3/28/08

The National

Richmond, VA

Heard about the date last week and I was excited enough about The National finally opening, but Okkervil River opening makes this a can't miss for me.

That's a nice double bill! The Felice Brothers are opening the DBT dates I'm seeing - has anyone seen them?

I saw them open for the bright eyes in birmingham. they were pretty good but the singer has a bit too much of a bob dylan impression going on.

I saw them open for the bright eyes in birmingham. they were pretty good but the singer has a bit too much of a bob dylan impression going on.

Heh - yeah, that's kind what I thought after listening to the songs on their myspace. They're not bad, though, and I like the accordion parts.

fwiw, this leaked today.

it's REALLY good too. i'd have lopped off at least 3 or 4 songs though.

Per Patterson Hood in his newsletter to fans last week:

"It is 19 songs and over 75 minutes on one CD (2 Vinyl Albums) and we are confident as to it being our best album yet

Wow - 19 songs is a lot!

Nice to hear your positive report on it, Kyle. I like Shonna's singing from what I've heard on the MySpace page.

yes, all 3 of her songs are very solid. she should have been singing all along!

songs i'd have cut (so far):

You and Your Crystal Meth (some poor lyrics, a bit TOO direct. musically it's sweet)

Lisa's Birthday (again, good music, poor lyrics)

Bob (not awful, but not that big on it either, and also some pretty dumb lyrics)

I'm sort of surprised that I'm the only one excited about Okkervil River & DBT playing together.

You're not, I just don't live close enough to Virginia to get too excited about it :P

Okkervil puts on a heck of a show, though - enjoy!

There's a bit of discussion on the DBT yahoo group about Shonna's voice - some are comparing it to Neko Case. I don't hear it - I hear a bit more Reba or Tanya Tucker, kind of old school twang. What do you guys think?

Pre-Order Bonus!

BTCD Pre-order the new album Brighter Than Creations Dark from the official Drive-By Truckers store for your chance to be entered in a drawing for one of 2 grand prizes to include a signed poster, a gift certificate for $100 of merchandise from the official Drive-By Truckers store and 2 tickets to an upcoming headlining Drive-By Truckers show of your choice. In addition, the first 100 people to purchase the Brighter Than Creations Dark CD & T-shirt bundle will ALSO receive a signed tour poster from the Drive-By Truckers.

Contest begins December 20, 2007 and ends January 22, 2008. To guarantee deliver on the release date, domestic customers must select the express shipping option and place their orders by 3 PM on January 18. All pre-orders taken by this time will ship that Friday. The release date delivery option is not available for international customers. Orders that ship by the standard shipping method will take between 3-5 business days to arrive.

Remember, only the first 100 people who order the Brighter Than Creations Dark CD & T-shirt bundle will receive a signed poster, so hurry up and order yours today!

http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday.com...spx?cp=407_2853

You're not, I just don't live close enough to Virginia to get too excited about it :P

Okkervil puts on a heck of a show, though - enjoy!

There's a bit of discussion on the DBT yahoo group about Shonna's voice - some are comparing it to Neko Case. I don't hear it - I hear a bit more Reba or Tanya Tucker, kind of old school twang. What do you guys think?

she definitely sounds like Neko a bit on The Purgatory Line!

Stevie Nicks meets Neko

fwiw, this leaked today.

it's REALLY good too. i'd have lopped off at least 3 or 4 songs though.

In the spirit of Randy Quaid dumping a hose into a sewer (the shiter was full!) I humbly request the possibility of a pm. In these non oink days I am a slave to release dates - in the old days it was all about buying the meal after you ate. I mean that I was buying something that I had already heard a bunch - if I liked it.

Did that make sense?

I was also wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the Cooley solo album EVER seeing the light of day. I know that Patterson has gone on and on about how long they have played together, but didn't the last guy besides him who put out a solo record get kicked out of the band?

Bob (not awful, but not that big on it either, and also some pretty dumb lyrics)

I like that song, stays just long enough to be amusing. I like the lyrics on it. Then again I am dumb..

I like that song, stays just long enough to be amusing. I like the lyrics on it. Then again I am dumb..

it's amusing but not enough to really interest me in it. can see myself skipping it often, even if it's only 2 min

i said she sounds a bit like Neko, not LIKE Neko ;).

just a slight similiarity.

Hee. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Neko fanatic...I get a little defensive sometimes :P

So far, my favorites are "Daddy Needs a Drink", "That Man I Shot" "Home Field Advantage" and "3 Dimes Down".

Really, really solid record. I like Bob as much as anything else on the record, too. It's a bit silly in places, granted but it's still as heartfelt as the best story-songs this band has delivered over the years. I even love Self-Destructive Zones, in spite of the fact that we really didn't need Gravity's Gone to show up on two back-to-back records (ba-dum-ching).