NEW DBT Album Announced

another issue with the song Bob is (besides just finding it fairly cheesy), NOFX already wrote a song about a drunken "Bob" 13 years ago that i DO find fairly humorous (that's kind of NOFX's schtick though):

He spent fifteen years getting loaded

Fifteen years 'till his liver exploded

Now what's Bob gonna do now that he can't drink?

The doctor said, "What you been thinkin' 'bout?"

Bob said, "That's the point,

I won't think about nothing

Now I gotta do something else,"

OI OI OI!

"To pass the time."

Bob shaved his head

He got a new identity

Sixty-two holed air cushioned boots

And a girl who rides a scooter

Gonna take him out, of town

They would get away

Riding around, as the trucks drive by

You could here the mother fuckers go...

A couple of lines, an extra thermos of Joe

He'll be kickin' in heads at the punk rock show, yeah

Bob's the kinda guy who knows just what

Bob's the kinda guy who knows just what to do

When the doctor tells him to

"Quit your drinkin', now's the time."

Will he ever walk the line

To all my friends, I feel just great

But will he ever walk the line

Kickin' ass and bustin' heads

Red suspenders

Once a day he shaves his head

But will he ever walk the line?

Will he ever walk the line?

Oh will he ever walk the line?

i also tend to not be the biggest fan of Cooley's stuff that reminds me of Charlie Daniels (nothing against him, but still). take a song like Bob compared to Carl Perkins Cadillac, and for me it's no fucking contest.

anywho, after a good 10 listens, this is definitely my 3rd fave DBT album already after Dirty South & Decoration. it's pretty close between this and SRO, both have a few filler tracks, but I think when all is said and done I'll much prefer this one.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another issue with the song Bob is (besides just finding it fairly cheesy), NOFX already wrote a song about a drunken "Bob" 13 years ago that i DO find fairly humorous (that's kind of NOFX's schtick though):

i also tend to not be the biggest fan of Cooley's stuff that reminds me of Charlie Daniels (nothing against him, but still). take a song like Bob compared to Carl Perkins Cadillac, and for me it's no fucking contest.

anywho, after a good 10 listens, this is definitely my 3rd fave DBT album already after Dirty South & Decoration. it's pretty close between this and SRO, both have a few filler tracks, but I think when all is said and done I'll much prefer this one.

I have listened to this through a few times now, and it gets better with each listen. I don't think they will ever make an album that will surpass The Dirty South or SRO for me, but this is a winner. In time I think I'm going to REALLY, REALLY like it. I agree that it is a few songs too many. Bob is pretty hokey, but it's a fun enough track so it can stay. Lisa's Birthday and You and Your Crystal Meth could easily have been left off.

3 Dimes Down is one of the best Cooley tunes ever. It will become one of the best tracks DBT does live. And I could be crazy but I am digging Perfect Timing. Country or not. Self Destructive Zones is damn good.

As for Shonna, Home Field Advantage is DAMN strong.

Patterson has some excellent stuff on here as well, but I need a few more listens to pick out which ones are my faves. PH's tunes tend to be growers for me so I'll hold off on passing judgment.

I've always been a casual fan of this band - so much so that I've never bothered to figure out who was who until now - but I keep coming back and back and back to this record. I think it blows everything they've done to date out of the water. I'm not a casual fan anymore. This one's a winner.

I've always been a casual fan of this band - so much so that I've never bothered to figure out who was who until now - but I keep coming back and back and back to this record. I think it blows everything they've done to date out of the water. I'm not a casual fan anymore. This one's a winner.

go back and listen to Dirty South & Decoration Day a bit more, i think you'll come around. as great as this one is, those 2 are still a few notches above this in terms of songwriting. there are like 4-5 songs on this one that are up there with the best songs in their catalog though.

go back and listen to Dirty South & Decoration Day a bit more, i think you'll come around. as great as this one is, those 2 are still a few notches above this in terms of songwriting. there are like 4-5 songs on this one that are up there with the best songs in their catalog though.

Completely agree that Dirty South & Decoration Day are about as solid all the way thru as anything I've listened to in the last several years.

I've had the new EP on regular repeat but haven't heard the entire new album as of yet. If the entire album has tracks that are better than the EP, I'm pumped.

Side note - I downloaded from iTunes and it appears as if the sound is kind of screwed up. Anyone else ever have issue with this? Sounds kind of muffled and there is some static during "3 dimes down". I reported it but not sure if I'll hear back from them.

I haven't heard Decoration Day since it came out, but I've listened to The Dirty South plenty. I don't know if I'd rate anything other Danko/Manuel, Sands of Iwo Jima and Goddamn Lonely Love as high as my least favourite tracks on the new one. It's impossible to tell what the future holds, but I'm confident in saying that this could end up being my favourite record of next year. Every last song has a "holy shit"-out-loud moment in both the music and lyrics. That's super rare in my experience.

I haven't heard Decoration Day since it came out, but I've listened to The Dirty South plenty. I don't know if I'd rate anything other Danko/Manuel, Sands of Iwo Jima and Goddamn Lonely Love as high as my least favourite tracks on the new one. It's impossible to tell what the future holds, but I'm confident in saying that this could end up being my favourite record of next year. Every last song has a "holy shit"-out-loud moment in both the music and lyrics. That's super rare in my experience.

guess you'll just be an oddball DBT fan then ;)

The Day John Henry Died

Carl Perkins Cadillac

Outfit

Goddamn Lonely Love

Danko/Manuel

Never Gonna Change

Tornadoes

Decoration Day

are all better than anything on this new album except for possibly The Righteous Path and The Man I Shot (for now anyway)

Sands would be a good song if not for Patterson's annoying falsetto on it

• 2 weeks later...

The new album is terrific. I would not put it ahead of Decoration Day, Southern Rock Opera, or The Dirty South as those albums represent the band's creative zenith. But the new album is far stronger than A Blessing and a Curse. I'm not too crazy about Shonna's songs, but my favorites include A Ghost to Most, The Man I Shot, 3 Dimes Down (the best Stones song the Stones never wrote), Self-Destructive Zones, Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife, The Righteous Path, Monument Valley, The Opening Act, Goode's Field Road, and The Home Front. Cooley and Patterson brought their A game and the band has moved on very well in the wake of Jason's departure.

it is a great song... i just can't stand when Patterson tries to go for his falsetto and strains, it's not a pleasant sound to these ears.

Music to these ears.

The new album is terrific. I would not put it ahead of Decoration Day, Southern Rock Opera, or The Dirty South as those albums represent the band's creative zenith.

According to Teenbeat....er I mean Pitchfork, the new Okervill River is a superior record to all those....

:stunned

But the new album is far stronger than A Blessing and a Curse. I'm not too crazy about Shonna's songs, but my favorites include A Ghost to Most, The Man I Shot, 3 Dimes Down (the best Stones song the Stones never wrote), Self-Destructive Zones, Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife, The Righteous Path, Monument Valley, The Opening Act, Goode's Field Road, and The Home Front. Cooley and Patterson brought their A game and the band has moved on very well in the wake of Jason's departure.

Agreed. Except I find Shonna's tunes to be the best. I would have cut several songs though - all Patterson tracks:

You and Your Crystal Meth

Opening Act

Monument Valley

According to Teenbeat....er I mean Pitchfork, the new Okervill River is a superior record to all those....

:stunned

Agreed. Except I find Shonna's tunes to be the best. I would have cut several songs though - all Patterson tracks:

You and Your Crystal Meth

Opening Act

Monument Valley

Well, as much as I love the new Okkervil River album, Pitchfork can place their farm tool in a not so pleasant place. Suffice to say, I don't base my opinions or decisions on what to purchase on those suckpumps.

I'm with you on "You and Your Crystal Meth" (a leftover from the ABAAC session). However, I love "Monument Valley" and think "The Opening Act" is a really solid song. There's no doubt that with 19 tracks you're going to have some filler. Stereogum has a fairly balanced review of BTCD here.

After having a bit of time to digest this disc I have to say I love it. It ranks up with their best. SRO stands alone at the top of the heap for me, but Decoration Day, Dirty South and this one are all pretty equal in my eyes. The only thing that would put those above this one for me would be that I like Isbell's songs better than Shonna. However Cooley's songs resonate strongest with me and this album Is chock full of them.