There are times when Astral Weeks is the only song I want to listen to.

That LP is a top 10 alltimer for me. No question.

I'm of the opinion that everything from Astral Weeks to Veedon Fleece comprises the single greatest run of albums the world has ever seen. It's just a staggeringly perfect body of work. Van is also my favourite rock/white singer of all time. He kinda lost the plot after his little break in the middle 1970s, but goldamn, everything before that is aces.

+1

I especially think Astral Weeks is a masterpiece. I also enjoy the pre-solo stuff when he led Them.

i also like the early 70s period quite a bit. always had a soft spot for 'poetic champions compose' as well.

heh, on another message board a while we had a funny thread, "lets write a van morrison song". lots of mention of jelly roll, healing, the radio and shalalalalala :lol

Astral Weeks, Moondance, His Band and the Street Choir, Tupelo Honey, St. Dominic's Preview, It's too Late to Stop Now, and Veedon Fleece...7 reasons to love Van. Add in the select other singles, and his work with The Them, and you've got an artist with a great argument for top 5 ever.

Yes! I knew you guys in here had good taste. One of my favorite songs is Philosopher's Stone from Back On Top. The song totally described a period of my life with lyrics and just feel of the music. I still can relate to it and brings so many feelings back to me.

Before Wilco started taking over my listening time, it was all Van for me. Just so much great music from him.