• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to kick a guy when he is down - because I actually like Joe Torre - but his managing record before he got to the Yankees was not so good. Granted he managed some bad teams, but in parts of 15 seasons he had one first place finish and, if I did the math right, a .470 winning percentage.

Ol' George liked to trot that out when he was still managing the Yankees.

First off I liked Joe but, I don't understand Yankee fans defending his past few years of bad managing in the post season. Also how do the Yankees look bad in this deal. He was still going to be the highest paid manager in baseball and if could actually win in the post season he would have made more money next season than he did this season.

First off I liked Joe but, I don't understand Yankee fans defending his past few years of bad managing in the post season. Also how do the Yankees look bad in this deal. He was still going to be the highest paid manager in baseball and if could actually win in the post season he would have made more money next season than he did this season.

I'm with you on this. I think it's a pride thing with Torre, though. As if he has to prove himself to warrant the money. That doesn;t cut it for him, which is his option. He's not going to find that kind of money elsewhere, but again-the pride thing.

I like the trend of performance-based incentives for managers and would like to see it for more players.

The Yankees offered Torre that deal knowing full well he'd reject it. They simply miscalucated that it would shift public opinion in their favor. A guy like Torre doesn't need the money. There are two factors here. The salary reduction and the one year deal. Had they offered him 10 million for two years he'd probably have taken it. But to take a reduction and be a lame duck manager with a firing hanging over his head all season why bother?

"We expect to win the World Series every year." Bite me. I'm glad the Yankees look bad.

With their payroll and lineup they should expect to win ever year. At least they should get out of the first round against inferior teams. I still don't understand how this makes the Yankees look bad.

I'm watching Joe's press conference now and it's apparent how much the Yankees are going to miss this guy. It's been said so many times, but the guy is pure class. Funny too.

I'm so down on the Yankees organization right now. Would it have killed them to offer Joe two years? Last year they treat Bernie like crap, this year it's Joe. Deep down I don't, but there is a part of me that would like to see Mariano and Posada tell Cashman, Randy Levine and the young Steinbrenner's to go f-themselves and go sign with the Mets.

Oh, well. I guess all things, except the Rolling Stones and the Simpsons, must come to an end.

Former New York Yankees manager Joe Torre always believed he could land another job. Now that he's done in New York, where might Torre end up?

Forget about the Pirates and Royals and Cardinals. Would any team unload its current manager for Torre? The Los Angeles Dodgers might.

Imagine the Dodgers bringing in a Brooklyn native to end their World Series title drought of 19 seasons. That would strike a blow in the Southern California public relations battle with the Angels. And Torre could hang out with Billy Crystal and other Hollywood types.

How did they treat Bernie Williams like crap? The guy was no longer good at baseball, and he wanted to be paid as if he was. That's just silly. Why not keep that roster spot open for a better, younger player? That's not treating him like crap, that's trying to put together a winning team.

How did they treat Bernie Williams like crap? The guy was no longer good at baseball, and he wanted to be paid as if he was. That's just silly. Why not keep that roster spot open for a better, younger player? That's not treating him like crap, that's trying to put together a winning team.

Bernie was done as a centerfielder, but he could have still been useful as a DH or simply off the bench. The guy's bat was still decent. He also wasn't making outrageous contract demands.

But, more importantly, I think publicly inviting him to audition for a spot at spring training after all he had done for that team was disrespectful. If there's not a spot for him, tell him so privately, but don't make it a public spectacle - which it was here in NY on talk radio, etc. It's not so much what they did - yes, he was an aging player - it was how they did it.

Is that silly for me to think Bernie deserves to be treated with respect?

Bernie hasn't been back to the stadium. Joe indicated today he wouldn't be back anytime soon. There's bitterness there from both of them because of how guys like Cashman and Levine handle things. Don't insult your legends/fan favorites. I guess they never learned anything from Yogi Berra avoiding the Stadium for years.

Bernie has never been a bench player and the feeling was the without being an everyday player he simply wouldn't be effective. They offered him the opportunity to prove he could do it, but he refused to come down. Torre he even said publicly he should come down because he wouldn't answer calls. During spring training it wasn't even clear they'd have a roster spot for another part time bat, as it turned out holes opened up that he'd have slotted nicely into but at that point the ship had sailed.