I recorded an album and on it is a cover of Wilco's Misunderstood. I know a lot of you dislike it when people post links to their bands, but I thought since I have been posting on here for about a year and since it is semi-Wilco related, it could be acceptable.

That said, I would say this is a fairly unique cover of the song. It is mostly piano based, with lots of keyboard sounds and such. It is not word for word, and some verses were left out.

Should be the third song in the player:

My Cover of Misunderstood

Thanks for taking a listen. (The rest of the songs are all originals)

I know a lot of you dislike it when people post links to their bands, but I thought since I have been posting on here for about a year and since it is semi-Wilco related, it could be acceptable.

There are often objections when such a link is the first post from a newbie, but otherwise I doubt anyone has much of a problem with it.

Looking forward to hearing this ... I'll check it out when I get home from work.

I recorded an album and on it is a cover of Wilco's Misunderstood. I know a lot of you dislike it when people post links to their bands, but I thought since I have been posting on here for about a year and since it is semi-Wilco related, it could be acceptable.

That said, I would say this is a fairly unique cover of the song. It is mostly piano based, with lots of keyboard sounds and such. It is not word for word, and some verses were left out.

Thanks for posting this. I'll have to wait until I get out of work to give it a listen.

People should feel free to post music whether they've been here for years or a day. I think people only get pissed when it's apparent that someone created an account specifically to plug their band.

very different interpretation, but really cool!!

i would call it an interpretation rather than a cover though, being as some lyrics were omitted and stuff...

edit- did i just hear a bit of "joy to the world" in there? nice.

Haha, if you did hear a part of "joy to the world" in there, it wasn't really intentional. Most of the instrumental "interludes" consisted of me just improvising on the piano, then going back and added layers and stuff to it later.

Just curious Dangerer - you ever go to/play at Canal Street Tavern? I love that place!

nice tunes, i actually think the wilco cover was my least favorite of the bunch, all very nice though.

Thanks for listening everyone, I appreciate the comments.

Just curious Dangerer - you ever go to/play at Canal Street Tavern? I love that place!

I've been there once to see a show. It is a very cool place.

I don't really play any shows right now. I live in Athens while I go to OU, spend my 6 week Christmas break (stupid quarter system) and summers in Dayton. Maybe when I get enough confidence to play and sing in front of people I'll do like coffee hosue gig or something.

That doesn't even sound like the same song. I tried and tried to hear Wilco in there and couldn't.

Cool. I wanted it to sound totally different and put my own twist on it.

Cool. I wanted it to sound totally different and put my own twist on it.

I think your version is really cool - that's the way covers should be.

What did you use to record this? The ambient electric guitar with all the distortion about 1:30 seconds in sounded great. I do a bit of recording so I'm curious to learn.

It was all done with GarageBand. We have a KORG Triton keyboard (that I only get to use when I'm home from college, which sucks), but I only used it as a controller for the sounds in GarageBand. You can really create some cool textures with some of the sounds and effects in GB. The distorted guitar line was me playing on my keyboard, but using a guitar sound in GB and adding some effects to it. I do play guitar, but this sounded ten times better than anything I could do.

Also, vocals on that song and all the other songs were done with the built in mic on my iMac. I'm a cheap college student, so I have yet to invest in a mic for vox and acoustic guitar (could use a pickup too).

So, that's where the sounds came from.

It sounded like an imac mic... haha. That's the first thing I thought when I heard the vocals. I used to use mine to record so I had an ear for it. I figured that was a keyboard, I wish my guitar had that kind of sustain! Good job for just using Garageband.

I bought an M Audio fasttrack and it works great. There's a better version of it for use with condensor mics that I wish I had bought, but whatever. It's also great because you can use digital guitar pedals and then route it out to an amp and basically save yourself thousands of dollars for pedals you only use once or twice.