Hollywood Writers

:cheekkiss

i suppose if the strike continues after i've been laid off, i can join a picket line...

for the record: editor's guild, local 700. *fist in the air*

also: the film & tv industries are NOTORIOUS for taking advantage of crews, working us crazy long hours.

What do you do exactly that this strike will effect your job?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i work as an assistant editor on a tv show. that's the picture editor end of things, not writing...

the episode i'm working on has been shot. we are cutting it together. then it goes through sound editorial, music, visual effects and mixing. that's when my job ends.

and gogo: they do serve bacon every morning with the hot breakfast! brilliant!

i work as an assistant editor on a tv show. that's the picture editor end of things, not writing...

the episode i'm working on has been shot. we are cutting it together. then it goes through sound editorial, music, visual effects and mixing. that's when my job ends.

and gogo: they do serve bacon every morning with the hot breakfast! brilliant!

sounds cool, what show? cant you tell us?

I just got caught up - man, no one's watching huh? I thought last week's ep was pretty okay.

I'm still not sure where they're going with the whole murder storyline. I mean did you see next week's previews??

I was however glad to see Matt grow some balls and tell Julie off. Little witch.

I was however glad to see Matt grow some balls and tell Julie off. Little witch.

Hey, even if I'm not watching it anymore, no spoilers outside the official thread! :P

Actually though, I'd kind of like to see that. :thumbup I'm a lot more excited to see it now.

:lol i am enjoying the tone of this thread much more now.

for the record: i'm working on a cbs drama, "cane."

it's a good show. straight up serialized drama. the network seems to be unfamiliar just how to handle such an animal these days. :huh

we've been third place in our time slot since the second week of airing. what can you do, chicks dig SVU?

also for the record: i moan about studio and network people quite a lot, but the creative execs work on our show WHO DO NOT NOT NOT work for the studio/network are dedicated, creative people. it's refreshing to work for people one respects.

24 season 7 has been postponed until 09. first of many casualties, i'm sure. i really hope they don't delay LOST too..

OMG, cant believe 24 is on season 7. Die hard needs to catch up.

I heard LOST only had a few eps, so it will effected by the strike. They say we wont notice until Jan, but once that passes and strike continues, look for all new shows. Probably get a lot of reality shows.

Sorry ms yvon, I thought you worked on FNL.

:thumbup

the strike has def. generated some good discussion among peers. very interesting to get the perspectives and opinions of people who are usually quiet about labor discussions.

side note: went to a found magazine event last night. while singing "booty don't stop" davy made a ref to having the best "booty in the WGA strike line" :lol

I am 100% in favor of the writers requests, however, with that said, my hope is that they spend the time afforded by the strike to like, write a script worth watching or something or other.....

That goes double for those who write primarily for television.

so writers should make more than nurses? (I'm assuming writers make 45k-60k/year as I read in a different forum)

.... that doesn't quite make sense to me

edit: of course paying someone millions of dollars to impersonate the likeness of a fictional character doesn't make sense either

double-edit: paying someone millions of dollars to hit a ball with a bat doesn't compute well either

good point, benjamin.

writers are paid to generate a product that is used to sell advertising, or box office revenues. writers with a proven track record will generate a lot of dough for the studio/network, just like hot athletes, and actors. that is how the salaries get so high.

the issue, though, isn't the amount of money that the writers are paid, it's the percentage that they receive when their products are sold or distributed.

i believe that if one is willing to pay writers a percentage for shows that air, they should be paid the same percentage, no matter how small the actual money, for other revenue streams.