Hollywood Writers

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has the potential to mess up TV pretty good, but with shows like FNL, the writers hurried to get production as many scripts as they could so they could keep filming through the strike, FNL is currently shooting episode 13 or 14 and may have as many as 3-5 scripts to go before they have nothing. On Average they shoot an episode in 8-9 days, so if this strike goes for awhile, it can crush production. This is just one example of a show I have knowledge of who knows the case for other shows. Movies are fine, so we'll see.

Guest David Puddy
I remember being highly entertained by Letterman during the last writers' strike.

i don't understand what changes here. does he then just write everything himself or something?

Huh, I figured they already were on strike, and for quite sometime too by the looks of things.

It's started LA Times article

This article details how shows and line-ups will be affected.

Basically for primetime shows currently on like sitcoms are OK at the moment until about mid-season, January or February. This can be milked with re-runs and what not. Shows that start mid-season like Lost and 24 only have a handful of episodes done.

the last time the WGA was on strike in 1988, it lasted for almost 6 months.

As somebody who works in a grotesquely underpaid creative field myself, I'm sending all the good vibes I can muster out to the writers.

FYI: most average television writers live in or around L.A. and are obligated to a single show. If he or she sells two scripts in a year at 45k each, that earns him about 90k for the year. Strip away agent's and lawyer's fees, not to mention taxes, and you end up with maybe 50k in take home income for the entire year. In big city California, lest we forget! In an industry which frequently sees onscreen talent walking away with multi-million-dollar a year paydays.

That's seriously fucking disgusting in my book. Somethin's outta whack, you know?

As somebody who works in a grotesquely underpaid creative field myself, I'm sending all the good vibes I can muster out to the writers.

FYI: most average television writers live in or around L.A. and are obligated to a single show. If he or she sells two scripts in a year at 45k each, that earns him about 90k for the year. Strip away agent's and lawyer's fees, not to mention taxes, and you end up with maybe 50k in take home income for the entire year. In big city California, lest we forget! In an industry which frequently sees onscreen talent walking away with multi-million-dollar a year paydays.

That's seriously fucking disgusting in my book. Somethin's outta whack, you know?

Why dont they writers just charge more or else go write for someone willing to pay? Isnt it all supply and demand?

I guess it will be interesting to see how this strike plays out.

If you know of a studio that pays more than the multi-billion-generating NBC, CBS, Warners, etc., I'm sure the writers' guild would love to hear from you!

No, it's a very simple situation. The union is at the mercy of the studios, and the studios are too busy making millionaires of themselves and their onscreen talent to even bother paying their creative staff on time. It's practically rape.

No, it's a very simple situation. The union is at the mercy of the studios, and the studios are too busy making millionaires of themselves and their onscreen talent to even bother paying their creative staff on time. It's practically rape.

If it's that bad, then I don't see why anyone with talent would do it. Then again, that might explain a lot of the crap that's on tv.

awesome!

From IGN.com:

South Park: Good news, South Park fans. This show will go on. Comedy Central informs us that South Park is a non-Union show and will continue as scheduled, including new episodes this week and next. It will then return in the spring with another batch of new episodes. Given how quickly the show is created and how topical it is, could a strike oriented episode be in the cards for next week's finale? (this week is scheduled to be Guitar Hero-centric).

randyhero.jpg

As a fellow creative writer who makes his living with words, I'm with TheMaker on this one.

It's absurd how poorly writers are paid, even in Hollywood. If you don't have a script, you don't have a show. I could never understand how writers could be the low men on the totem pole.

As a fellow creative writer who makes his living with words, I'm with TheMaker on this one.

It's absurd how poorly writers are paid, even in Hollywood. If you don't have a script, you don't have a show. I could never understand how writers could be the low men on the totem pole.

Not disagreeing with their low pay, but isnt their fault for not being good negotiators. I dont understand how pay is industry wide and not specific to each show or situtation. If you walk out and your talent is really important, you will get the money or else you are replacable. Each has different talents right? Is there some hollywood salary cap on writers?

i thought the beef wasn't the low pay but the inaction on the studios et al to come up with some sort of policy to deal with residuals on DVD and On Line content, which frankly seems pretty fair. If the writers get paid residuals when ER is re-run on TNT, why wouldn't they get something for DVD sales, and for when ABC puts Grey's Anatomy up on line for free?

i thought the beef wasn't the low pay but the inaction on the studios et al to come up with some sort of policy to deal with residuals on DVD and On Line content, which frankly seems pretty fair. If the writers get paid residuals when ER is re-run on TNT, why wouldn't they get something for DVD sales, and for when ABC puts Grey's Anatomy up on line for free?

It's all sounding to me like a bunch of millionaires squabbling about a few million dollars. In any case, you gotta fight for higher pay if you feel like you deserve it or else they will just take advantage of you as much as possible.

It's all sounding to me like a bunch of millionaires squabbling about a few million dollars.

I think the point is that the producers, network executives, etc., are far more likely to be millionaires than the writers. If they're going to make a few more millions off the alternate revenue streams, don't the writers deserve at least a cut of that?

I think the point is that the producers, network executives, etc., are far more likely to be millionaires than the writers. If they're going to make a few more millions off the alternate revenue streams, don't the writers deserve at least a cut of that?

Definitely, a cut is obvious. We just dont know the details of what kind of cut was being asked and offered.

Some details on the $ issues highlighted below. Also in this article: coolness from Jon Stewart, the cast of The Office, and the producer of The Shield.

Hollywood Stricken by Writers' Strike

by Gina Serpe

The strike has finally struck.

After an 11th-hour 11-hour-long (go figure) meeting between the Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers flamed out Sunday, the pens that power Hollywood are taking to the pickets.

According to the writers' union, scribes plan on picketing 15 Los Angeles locations, along with NBC's Rockefeller Center studios in New York, in four-hour shifts beginning at 9 a.m. Monday, every day until a new deal is reached.

The strike does not preclude the squabbling unions from continuing talks

Unless there is some sort of illegal collusion going on, then I'd have to assume that wages are low because there are far more people willing and able to do the job than there are available positions. Being an essential part of the show doesn't necessarily equate to great wages if you are easily replaced.

I have no idea if the writers are getting screwed or not, but I do wish that my employer would pay me for two weeks even though I abandoned my job. That's not a bad deal.