Discuss: "We're the 49ers" is a better song than "Super Bowl Shuffle"

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you see the damage to Rex's knee?? Oh my. As someone who has suffered injury that involves your knee being bent the wrong way, I have the utmost empathy for Sexy Rexy. I miss him already. I know no one else does. ;)

And Rex is not as ripped as CT.

Stick a fork in the Bears. They should start resting relatively injured players (Harris, Urlacher come to mind) and see what Orton can do.

Some good news for a Friday! :D

Bills' Kevin Everett walking on his own in and out of rehab

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

December 7, 2007

Kevin Everett is walking on his own at a Houston rehab center, the latest significant progress by the Buffalo Bills tight end in his remarkable recovery from a serious spinal cord injury.

"He doesn't have a full natural stride but, yeah, he's walking," a person close to the family told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of Everett's status.

The person said Everett has been walking under his own power since his release from Memorial Hermann/TIRR three weeks ago and is now an outpatient there. The person added Everett is picked up at his Houston-area home by car to attend daily rehab sessions and is able to walk to and from the facility.

"He's not driving or anything like that, but he is walking. He's not running. He is walking," the person said.

Doctors initially feared he'd never walk again after what was described as a life-threatening injury while making a tackle in the Sept. 9 season opener against Denver. Everett was paralyzed from the neck down when he arrived at Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital and spent the first few days on life support.

The prognosis was far more positive a few days later when Everett showed movement in his legs and arms and was sensitive to touch. He improved so steadily during his first two weeks he was transferred to Houston for the next stage of rehab.

Everett makes his offseason home there, and doctors felt it important for him to be close to family and friends.

Bills punter Brian Moorman learned after practice that Everett was walking.

"Any time we hear about something along those lines, it gives you chills," he said. "We're always thinking about him, and we're thrilled any time we hear about any progress. ... It's obviously a good sign. We hope to see him personally sometime soon."

Everett hasn't spoken publicly except through news releases and in a videotaped statement that was broadcast before Buffalo's home game against New England on Nov. 18.

"How are you doing Buffalo? This is Kevin Everett," Everett said, during the brief message that was shown on TV and the Ralph Wilson Stadium video scoreboard. "I just want to say, `Come on, let's beat the Patriots."'

Upon his release from Memorial Hermann, Everett said in a statement he was inspired after meeting many people that sustained similar injuries.

"Their courage and determination inspired me to fight every day for recovery of my ability to walk," Everett said. "While this news is a significant milestone for me, I still have a long journey to full recovery."

Everett's recovery has been the NFL's most inspirational story this season. And his presence has not been forgotten among Bills fans, with many wearing his jersey or T-shirts with his No. 85 on the back to home games.

The Bills' third-round draft pick in 2005, Everett is soft-spoken and reserved and regarded highly by teammates and friends.

"He's just every guy's teammate," Moorman had said after Everett was hurt. "He's got such a great character, and it's obvious. He's not a man of many words, but he doesn't need to speak by words."

Everett had been active in his hometown of Port Arthur, Texas. Last summer, he hosted a football camp in which he charged no admission, handed out T-shirts and made sure every youngster had a ride to and from camp.

"He'd give you his last," said Kenny Harrison, who coached Everett in high school. "His biggest deal was making sure every kid that wanted to be a part the camp was able to be a part of it, no exception."

Indeed.

I just now noticed that you'd posted that link in the copy/paste thread a while ago.

I'm having a pretty craptacular day in general, but news like this tends to give me some much-needed perspective.

I just now noticed that you'd posted that link in the copy/paste thread a while ago.

I'm having a pretty craptacular day in general, but news like this tends to give me some much-needed perspective.

Stories like this make me love the business I'm in.

Sorry about your day. Hopefully, things will pick up for you.

I know Tank Johnson had his problems, but Chicago is a lesser team without him, and Dallas a better one. Funny how Dallas has become the best team in the NFC by taking on the highly problematic TO and getting him to behave. (I suspect some sort of antidepressant/mood stabilizer is involved there, which is common in people who seem to have mental problems but don't anymore. Kinda like when you see someone get skinny all of a sudden, and infer gastric bypass.)

Tank Johnson is pretty good. I'm not sure how much better, if at all, he's better than Anthony Adams and Darwin Walker. It's fun to pin the blame on something like that, but it's more along the lines of the two best players on the Bears' D being injured (Harris and Urlacher), and two of their best defensive backs (Vasher and Brown) being out. I mean, last year Johnson was pretty far down on the list as far as best Bears defenders--the aforementioned and Tillman, Ogunleye, Alex Brown, Mark Anderson, and Lance Briggs are all better and more important.

Not to mention, Dalllas was plenty good before he started playing in the middle of the season.

What I guess I'm saying, Bjorn, is that you have no idea what you're talking about. :lol

What I guess I'm saying, Bjorn, is that you have no idea what you're talking about. :lol

Well, duh.