New Sun Kil Moon record

Kind of a bland album title, but that's about all the info that's out there currently. A new update on the official website www.sunkilmoon.com states Mark Kozelek's latest disc will be hitting the shelves April Fools Day.

Now, I wasn't familiar with Kozelek at all until last February when I heard "Ghosts of the Great Highway" for the first time, and it's been in heavy rotation pretty much ever since then. The only other SKM release has been the "Tiny Cities" CD, which is a bunch of Modest Mouse covers. I've only just started working my way through the Red House Painters catalog, but I'm liking what I've heard so far.

Anyway, this is for sure one of my most anticipated releases of next year, right up there with British Sea Power, Wolf Parade and Sigur Ros. Anyone else a big fan of Kozelek's work?

I have found the "Ghosts of the..." album to be infinitely more engaging than anything else he has done. To the degree that it's hard to understand that it is the work of the Red House Painters creator. Does anyone else share this affliction. Any way, heres to hoping the Sun Kil Moon moniker brings more genius.

yeah, I've had the same difficulty, to some extent. Red House Painters has more slowcore tendencies (I hate that genre label, but it's the first one that comes to mind.) "Ghosts" had me hooked from the first listen, whereas the two RHP discs I've listened to, "Ocean Beach" and "Old Ramon" are only just sinking in after about 10 listens. And the RHP stuff that I've liked the most are the songs that bear the most similarities to SKM. Oh well. They definitely feel like two completely different bands, even though Kozelek has said they are essentially the same band, only under a different banner.

thanks for the news.

I love the John Denver and AC/DC cover albums next after Ghosts. Both are surprisingly great.

I've seen him live twice this year and he's played a bunch of new songs at both which have been simply stunning so it bodes well for album. Granted he could ruin them with a dodgy arrangement but pretty excited.

If you don't have Songs For A Blue Guitar by RHP then go get it,beautiful stuff!

I've been a fan since first RHP album and don't see much difference between the SKM/RHP stuff bar him maturing/evolving gradually as a musician, Duk Koo Kim was a an RHP song whichhe was playing back in 2001.

yeah, but of all the songs off "Ghosts...", Duk Koo Kim is definitely the one that most resembles RHP--it's got that sprawling nature to it, similar to a lot of his earlier stuff.

Glad to hear that the new stuff sounds great live, it does indeed bode well for the album. So excited.

• 1 month later...

first taste of "April"

Moorestown... what an amazing song:

http://www.caldoverderecords.com/song1.html

if this album is HALF as great as Ghosts i'll be ecstatic.

also, they're releasing a new Retribution Gospel Choir (the band that features Alan Sparhawk from Low along w/ Koz (who produced it) album on March and re-issuing Nights of Passed Over on April 1st as well!

http://www.caldoverderecords.com/

great time to be a Koz fan

My wife is a HUGE fan of anything Kozelek touches. She is very pumped!! I really like alot of his stuff too, especially the "Songs For A Blue Guitar" album! That is a fantastic record. His cover of "If You Want Blood" is fantastic as well.

Have any of you seen his cameo in "Almost Famous"? That's kinda neat. Cameron Crowe has good taste in music.

RHP's cover of "Silly Love Songs" on Songs For a Blue Guitar is excellent. Sounds like a Zuma outtake.

And I was recently introduced to Ghosts of the Great Highway as well. It's a great album. I can't get enough of "Carry Me Ohio." Kozelek's voice sounds a bit like a strange cross between Neil Young and Christopher Cross.

RHP's cover of "Silly Love Songs" on Songs For a Blue Guitar is excellent. Sounds like a Zuma outtake.

And I was recently introduced to Ghosts of the Great Highway as well. It's a great album. I can't get enough of "Carry Me Ohio." Kozelek's voice sounds a bit like a strange cross between Neil Young and Christopher Cross.

"Carry Me Ohio" is a wonderful song too. It's one of those gems that gets stuck in my head on a regular basis. Great guitar melody in that song.

Without the detail, I thought my post indicated that.

I guess I may have worded that weird. I am agreeing with you. I could have left out the "too". Anyway, I have had a migraine all morning so I can't think straight.......