Andrew Bird Tour EP

From Pitchfork:

On his current European tour, Mr. Andrew Bird has brought along a little something special. Nah, no fiery bowls or mysteriously produced eggs or any of his usual accoutrements. Instead, Bird's got himself Soldier On, an eight track tour EP collecting some choice odds and ends.

Along with a handful of outtakes, alternate mixes, and early versions of Bird classics, the disc sports Andrew's cover of Bob Dylan's "Oh Sister", his contribution to the Janet Reno-curated Songs of America compilation, and a tune from the dance project he cooked up alongside Molly Shanahan/Mad Shak. There's a new track, too, the somewhat improbably titled "The Water Jet Cilice". The disc is currently only available at the Birdman's gigs, but should head into wider availability early next year.

To pass the time until then, Bird's soldiering on on tour, with several more European dates, a return to the States, and an Australian tour (including a stop at the awesome Sydney Fest) in the works.

Soldier On:

01 The Trees Were Mistaken (from My Name Is a Blackbird)

02 Sic of Elephants [ft. Haley Bonar] (outtake)

03 The Water Jet Cilice

04 Plasticities (alternate mix)

05 Heretics (early version)

06 Sectionate City (live at Bird's barn)

07 How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm (from Song of America)

08 Oh Sister (Bob Dylan cover)

Awesome news. I was just telling my friend the other day how I would love it if he released the Dylan cover. I can't wait for this.

I heard some familiar music on TV just now - Andrew Bird for Marriott Residence Inn! Apparently these have been around for awhile, but this was the first one I've seen.

Anyway, the tour EP looks very cool. The Water Jet Cilice (which is also on the most recent Fingerlings) is one of my favorite Andrew tracks.

• 1 month later...
Awesome news. I was just telling my friend the other day how I would love it if he released the Dylan cover. I can't wait for this.

That cover of "Oh, Sister" has been out for a while - it was on a MOJO "Dylan Covered" disc from 2005.

The Water Jet Cilice (which is also on the most recent Fingerlings) is one of my favorite Andrew tracks.

One of my favorites as well. Great tune.

Water Jet Cilice is also known as Self Torture (which has lyrics), which you can buy on eMusic :thumbup

Andrew played that one last Sunday at the Cedar. the Saturday night Guthrie show was 10 minutes shy of 3 hours :omg

they filmed all 3 shows for a possible DVD release though, so let's hope that happens!

the 4 new songs he played on Sunday were all wicked too :wub

http://www.reveillemag.com/features/concer...-bird-the-cedar

Very nice, solace! Thanks for posting that...great pics too! :)

I can't wait to see him live again. :wub

Water Jet Cilice is also known as Self Torture (which has lyrics), which you can buy on eMusic :thumbup

Very cool, thanks solace! Just grabbed it :)

*edited after a few listens*

Like the lyrics, but I really miss those cicadas on the Fingerlings version...

Is that the O Sister from the Uncut comp that came out a few years ago with Nora O'Connor??

LouieB

I'm guessing it's the same version? I saw Nora last night - she must be due any day now. She's a rockin' mama! :)

anyone want to hook up the "oh sister" cover? I'm trying to play it for a friend but cant find the ep anywhere on the net.

I'm guessing it's the same version? I saw Nora last night - she must be due any day now. She's a rockin' mama! :)

She is putting together a family in a hurry. This is her second child and the other is not that old. Congrats to her.

Were you at the Flat Five show? We were going to go, but didn't.

LouieB