Bob Dylan, Jack White, others

I thought this thread was about Hank Williams music - not another opportunuity for the insecure to jump in an try to force feed their opinions about something else. Not sure what Modern times has to do with this current project, but I'm pretty sure that when the music is released, it somehow will cause more children to go hungry somewhere!

I thought this thread was about Hank Williams music - not another opportunuity for the insecure to jump in an try to force feed their opinions about something else. Not sure what Modern times has to do with this current project, but I'm pretty sure that when the music is released, it somehow will cause more children to go hungry somewhere!

Didn't someone say a track was recorded during the Modern Times sessions. Thus meaning it'll have a link to that album, if not in sound, then at least in terms of musicians.

The Maker & jc4prez have said that the lyrics are bad on Modern Times; I wouldn't agree so much with that. I think the musicianship is what let Modern Times down - on the tracks where there seemed to be an effort to arrange the music it worked (Nettie Moore and Working Mans Blues #2 being good examples), and when they didn't it fell a bit flat. Listen to Love & Theft (especially, more so than Time Out Of Mind) and you'll hear how well arranged every single track is - to me that's the difference. So, to sumarise - get a new band Bob! (apart from Tony, he's fine)

:lol :lol

Dumping on Modern Times certainly has become a bit of a cottage industry. It really isn't nearly as bad (not even close) as Under the Red Sky or parts of Knocked out Loaded.

LouieB

what are you five?

I wonder if this deal will sound like World Gone Wrong or As Good As I Been To You - although, those were solo records, of course.

One can hope so. I really liked those records, especially "As Good.."

I'm just trying to figure out whose anti-MT argument comes off seeming "insecure." Certainly not mine...

I don't like the reedy voice or the general "first-taker" sound of Good As I Been to You, but World Gone Wrong is one of my favourite Dylan records. He picked ten of the goddamnedest tunes from the American songbook and his empathy on some of the tracks is unreal. I want only one song played at my funeral, and it's Lone Pilgrim.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I personally disagree. I find that in his earlier work he would more often take a melody or lyrical idea and transform it.

Modern Times feels like he is just regurgitating others work. Point to songs in his early catalogue that have the same title, melody, lyrics, and theme as another song. I'd say its pretty hard to find. Even on Love and Theft he didn't do what I just said. Look at Tweedle Dee And Tweedle Dum its obviously "Uncle John's Bongo's" but Dylan does a good job of changing the lyrics and themes. Most of Modern Times doesn't have Dylan adding much to these tunes which is the big difference. On top of that I think it seems like he wrote the lyrics while taking a shit and went out and recorded them without looking at them.

Hard Rain's gonna fall is just Lord Randal.

Guest Golyadkin

I have the utmost faith in Mr. White. His collaboration with L. Lynn was outstanding, and his albums (White Stripes, Raconteurs, or other collaborations) show such an extreme range of talent.

I do have a little concern for Mr. Dylan... ever since Love and Theft and Modern Times.

Which is odd considering one of his best albums was right before those two.

Why is that great, out of curiosity? Was the organ too high-pitched for your ears to even register? Because my ears are fine, and it's all I can hear.

"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

The phrasing during the last minute and a half is pretty interesting, I think, but not enough to redeem the performance. Dylan's been threatening to re-record his classics for decades now, and every few years he makes good on said threat. The only really good one, in my opinion, is the '93 version of Hollis Brown with Mike Seeger on banjo.

the organ is very high-pitched and maybe a little too loud, but that's what organs sound like (either that, or very bassy) - the problem with that version of the song is the guitar work, more than the organ - it's appalling. the acoustic guitar sound's like an electro-acoustic - probably because it is - (and thus, shit - plus the playing is bad - it's probably dylan doing that); also there is another electric guitar playing really high notes which doesn't fit well with the organ at all, and the playing (again) is lack-luster. if the guitarists thought about their parts, then they'd fill the lower and mid ranges out better, so that the organ didn't dominate (all the instruments are fighting together in the high frequencies). i wish he'd get himself someone (or two people) that can actually play guitar to a reasonable standard.