Messenger Bag suggestions?

I'm going (again) to Disney World with my mother in January. Ever since my dad died we've been doing an annual mother/daughter trip down there to unwind. Anyway, I've always brought a rough and tumble LL Bean backpack to hold all of our junk. The weather can be very unpredictable in January, so we have to carry jackets as well as the ton of smaller items you bring for a day long adventure. I don't mind the backpack, since it leaves my hands free, but I seem to take it off every 5 minutes to get something out of it and whatever I'm looking for is invariably at the bottom. Anyone have any suggestions for a cool messenger bag that's not too huge and bulky or another type of bag altogether? I want something durable but sweet looking. I figured maybe the city dwellers may have some ideas since you're walking everywhere.

i've got a spiewak messenger bag i've put through the ringer for close to 8 years now. i bought a brand new DJ bag to replace it from ubiquity records a year ago and still haven't been able to bring myself to switch.

i've used a timbuk 2 bag in the past and it held up pretty well too.

I used messenger bags for years to haul my laptop and other stuff to and from school and work -- but then started having neck problems that the one-shoulder bag made worse. Now, I use backpacks. I guess they're not as cool, but damn, they make a huge difference! The weight is evenly distributed across both shoulders and no neck problems. I had Timbuk2 messenger bags, they held up well, but I ended up selling my last one on eBay.

A good place for shopping for the right bag is REI if you have one locally. See them in person and "try them on". Then, go online and buy cheaper (REI's winter sale just ended). eBags is a good place for deals, got my current slingbag (small, just for wallet, phone, hat, keys, etc.) there. If you can't see them in person, make sure and get the measurements, that'll help determine if it's the right size for your jacket and everything else you need to lug around.

check out any surplus stores you may have around. You can find some cool bags there. I used to have a gas mask bag I carried around (kept it after I got out of the Army), also had a map case from Germany that made a pretty good if smallish mini back pack

i like timbuk2 bags, but also KEEN now makes a bag of all recycled materials...

God, some of their bags are fabulous!!!

I haven't bought a bag yet because I got sidetracked on etsy.com for like 9 hours yesterday. I did a big chunk of my Christmas shopping! :dancing