The Lemonheads, Blind Pig, Ann Arbor, December 15

I didn't even realize that the Lemonheads were back together again. Last I knew, Dando was doing his obligatory, post rehab, introspective solo stuff. Is it actually some of the old members of the LH's with Dando or is he just trying to cash in on the name like Billy Corgan is doing with the Smashing Pumpkins? That being said, I wouldn't mind going but unfortunaltly I only get to go to a show every couple of years and I used my allotment on Wilco back in December.

It's Evan-plus-anonymous-rhythm-section -- which is too bad, because his backing band on the latest Lemonheads release would have been wicked live (Bill Stevenson and Karl Alvarez, both of Descendents fame). Still, the new album is great, and it should be a good show.

It's Evan-plus-anonymous-rhythm-section -- which is too bad, because his backing band on the latest Lemonheads release would have been wicked live (Bill Stevenson and Karl Alvarez, both of Descendents fame). Still, the new album is great, and it should be a good show.

My sources tell me that Bill and Karl are playing with him on this tour.

I meant to get my ticket today but was thrown off by how much something else cost me (Christmas gifts suck) and I totally forget to stop by ticketbastard and get one. Now I gotta go back to Saginaw on Thursday to get one. It better not sell out by then or I'll be pissed as hell.

Alvarez and Stevenson are playing with him on this tour...

I stole this from the myspace blog but didn't include the tour dates portion...

Winter U.S. Tour - with Bill Stevenson & Karl Alvarez

The Lemonheads have announced plans for a winter tour of the U.S. The tour, which begins November 30th in San Francisco and currently wraps December 22nd in Boston, will mark the first time that Evan Dando, drummer Bill Stevenson (Descendents, Black Flag) and bassist Karl Alvarez (Descendents), the trio that recorded the latest Lemonheads disc, will perform live as a group.

Following the tour, the band plans to begin work on a follow-up to 2006's The Lemonheads (9/26/06, Vagrant), which will conclude a series of more than 150 solo and full-band shows around the world that Evan Dando has played in support of The Lemonheads. Next up, Evan will be opening for The Jesus & Mary Chain on several of their October U.S. dates.

Dando and Stevenson co-produced The Lemonheads, and Stevenson wrote or co-wrote three of its eleven songs; long-time Australian collaborator Tom Morgan added another two. There are also cameos galore: from bassist Josh Lattanzi, Garth Hudson (who plays keyboards on 'Black Gown' and 'December'), and guitar work by Dinosaur JR's J. Mascis.

My sources tell me that Bill and Karl are playing with him on this tour.

Sweet! :rock

That just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read on Wikipedia... :lol

OK, that clinches it -- I'm getting my ticket asap.

This might be too late to catch people heading out the door, but I'll be the really large guy who needs a haircut, in the black T-shirt with the big red star on the front (it's a Mozilla shirt).

I probably won't show up until closer to 11. Feel free to say hi. I'm a weird shy sort, so please don't be offended if I'm not all that talkative. Plus, I don't hear convesation real well in loud rooms, so it can be a bit of a struggle to talk to me anyway. :stunned

I just hope Evan & co. don't get snowed in here tonight. We're supposedly getting nine to twelve inches.

How were they?

LouieB

They were terrific, though they played a very short set (approx. 50 minutes). However, I'd say they got through at least 20 songs in that time. Dando still sounds great vocally. His guitar playing wasn't fantastic, but it was adequate. Stevenson and Alvarez certainly held up their end.

One of their openers (I only saw one) was a band from the Netherlands called Raccoon, and I thought they were pretty good.

I was up front and center in the black Gram Parsons shirt. My ears took some serious damage - I brought earplugs but no one else around me had any so I didn't want to appear a pussy... really, really loud up there. It took about 2/3 of the set before Dando seemed to be into the show at all but it was pretty solid. I knew it would be a short show - his shows always are. The only disappointing thing to me was that he didn't play any pre-Ray material and the fact that he looked painfully thin and not nearly as healthy as he did when I saw him in 2001. His guitar style is pretty primitive but still enjoyable - at least when it comes to his lead work.

Ok, it took me over 2 hours to get home instead of the usual 80-90 minutes but I new that would happen.

So by now this should be in the After The Show section, but because we already have an active thread...

Did anyone happen to write down a setlist from Saturday night? I just threw together a quick list of what I *think* was played, but I'm hoping someone can add the things I missed and maybe scratch one or two tracks that I mistakenly included.

Not in order:

Down About It

Confetti

If I Could Talk I'd Tell You

Let's Just Laugh

Alison's Starting to Happen

It's a Shame About Ray

Style

Rudderless

No Backbone

Into Your Arms

Drug Buddy

The Great Big No

Bit Part

Black Gown

Ceiling Fan In My Spoon

Baby's Home

What'd I miss?

• 2 years later...

New York Magazine’s interview with lifelong friends (but not lovers?) Julianna Hatfield and Evan Dando has some sad details in it, especially if you were part of the Sassy/Spin Magazine set that grew up worshiping one or both. The writer, who describes both as still pretty, but still damaged, mentions that Hatfield had considered quitting live performance, but that playing with Dando has given them a reason to hang out. You also get the sense that Hatfield is taking care of Dando, since, as she describes it, he’s living in squalor. When the writer finally gets a peek at Dando’s apartment in New York’s financial district, she finds “… a charred tablespoon; a copy of Aleister Crowley’s Diary Of A Drug Fiend; a Polaroid of Dando and his ethereally blonde estranged wife, Elizabeth Moses; a pile of plastic bags filled with substances…” all on the coffee table. They’re all sitting next to a chunk of the World Trade Center that he retrieved from the site. And, since Dando lives very close to the WTC, he’s got a theory about what happened too:

“I shouldn’t get into it, because I’m not a political person, but they were blown up by bombs. They were not taken out by those airplanes. Those fires were going out and then the buildings blew up. What I saw and heard that day was a crime, and not by the people they’re saying. That’s all I’ll say. I’m worried about our country. But then again I’ve been worried about America my entire life.”

After this, Hatfield tries to get everyone out of the apartment, perhaps to protect the writer from Dando, or Dando from the writer. So we don’t get any followup to his conspiracy theory. It’s a commonly-held conspiracy theory, and while it’s interesting that Dando, with his last comment, doesn’t seem to tie it to any particular administration, his drug use doesn’t inspire confidence either.

Doesn't sound like Evan is doing too well.

Doesn't sound like Evan is doing too well.

Wow - what a sad article. I saw him play a few months ago and it was pretty good but a little weird. He played a ton of songs, one right after the other, without stopping. His voice sounded great and it reminded me of how many good songs he has written but he didn't seem all that engaged.

Wow - what a sad article. I saw him play a few months ago and it was pretty good but a little weird. He played a ton of songs, one right after the other, without stopping. His voice sounded great and it reminded me of how many good songs he has written but he didn't seem all that engaged.

yeah, I don't think I've ever seen Mr. Dando live when it wasn't a little to a lot weird. Saw that article also and it is beyond sad. I've always thought he is hugely underrated and too much focus on his off field issues and not the music. I think his first solo album is top notch, but man he appears to be out there and it sounds awful. But the music speaks for itself in my mind. top notch.

yeah, I don't think I've ever seen Mr. Dando live when it wasn't a little to a lot weird. Saw that article also and it is beyond sad. I've always thought he is hugely underrated and too much focus on his off field issues and not the music. I think his first solo album is top notch, but man he appears to be out there and it sounds awful. But the music speaks for itself in my mind. top notch.

I agree. Even when he supposedly kicked the drug habit about the time Baby I'm Bored was released, I could still tell he was "on" something. He was pretty doped up when I saw him on that tour.

He got divorced a while back, he must have taken it pretty hard...