• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was curious to how it looks now.

When we drove past it last summer (I made a point of doing so) it was painted in a rather nondescript fashion -- certainly nothing like its appearance on the cover of that Jefferson Airplane anthology.

edit: the Google Maps streetview image is pretty much how I remember it from last June.

I hope to check it out again someday. I wonder if the people that live there now get bothered a lot. I see they have a gate up.

I just checked the other link. It looks like the people who own it now are some of merchant company, and I take it they use that as office or showroom space now.

Edited by Analogman
First off, A-man, I have not been past there recently, or not that I've noticed, anyway. It's close-ish to my house, but the other side of the park, so I don't pass it regularly.

If you're going to Napa without a car, I'd suggest this: http://winetrain.com Otherwise, you're in the city of Napa, but you don't get out to the wineries.

To get there, they recommend using the 511.org trip planner. It looks like your best bet would be the ferry from SF to Vallejo, then a local bus to downtown Napa (the whole trip will take 2+ hours). The ferry would be neat, but I'm guessing the bus wouldn't be quite as much fun. :) It will get you there, though.

Are you saying that the wine train operates only in Napa? And we would have to take the ferry etc. to get there and then pay the wine train fee?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, sorry, that is what I trying to say. The ferry/bus combo gets you to Napa, then if you want to see the countryside (aside from what you'll see on the bus), you would take the wine train through the Valley. The Wine Train is just a round-trip sight-seeing tour, with optional winery stops. Your other option, without a car, would be the ferry/bus trip up there, then just hanging out in the town of Napa. Which probably wouldn't be a bad day.

Someone else may have a better way to do that trip without a car. I'm not the expert, by any means!

Oh, or if you want to seriously booze it up in style, a friend of mine used to get some people together and go up there in a limo: http://www.beauwinetours.com/napa_valley_wine_tours.html

I have no idea how much those cost, or if that's even the service she used (I never went on any of those trips...), but it'd be door-to-door, and you could be a little looser with your itinerary.