• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading to San Francisco in March. Any suggestions about fun things to do?

I was thinking about taking the wife to Beach Blanket Babylon, but wanted more local fun, since we'll be there 4-5 days.

Take some time, cross over the GG bridge into Marin county and explore. That area is simply beautiful, lotta nice little towns, Mount Tamalpais (spelling?), etc. I would also reccomend the obvious tourist sites, Gloden Gate Park, Museum of Art, Exploratorium etc. SF is (in my opinion) one of the few remaining unique cities. A lot of places nowadays seem really generic, you feel like you could be anywhere...SF has a quality all it's own.

Have fun there!

Marin county is one of the best places on earth. Hike or play Frisbee golf on Mt. Tam. Explore Muir Woods. Drive over Mt. Tam to Stinson Beach. Shoot some pool at the 2AM Club in Mill Valley. I wish I was there right now.

Check it north of the Bay Bridge.

Don't follow the tourists. Eat where the locals eat. (It might help to speak Mandarin.)

San Francisco's Chinatown is primarily Cantonese. But I'm sure if you only speak Mandarin, someone will be able to translate for you. ;)

Oh, and yeah, I love Beach Blanket Babylon. You can do a great walking day in Union Square, Chinatown, and North Beach, and end up at Beach Blanket Babylon. Then just at the other end of the block from BBB is O'Reilly's, for oysters and Guinness after.

San Francisco's Chinatown is primarily Cantonese. But I'm sure if you only speak Mandarin, someone will be able to translate for you. ;)

:lol I guessed at Mandarin because my uncle (who lives in Berkeley) speaks it fluently and has taken us to places in Chinatown where there wasn't a word of English anywhere. I assumed he was speaking Mandarin, but I know that he also has a smattering of Cantonese.

I assumed he was speaking Mandarin, but I know that he also has a smattering of Cantonese.

:lol No, it's entirely possible that he was speaking Mandarin. Recent Chinese immigrants are more likely to speak Mandarin, it's just that traditionally, the residents of San Francisco's Chinatown were Cantonese.

We have a wonderful museum in Golden Gate Park with a cool observation tower.It's called the deYoung and the food is good too!!! Go visit James and Lillian at Hunan Home on Jackson and Grant, get reflexology right up the street, wander into North Beach visit Specs or Vesuvios, go to coit tower take the docent tour of the WPA murals.Visit the MIssson take a mural tour and eat at one of the awesome resaurants like Roosevelts or La rondella(late night)....so many places to walk and see beautiful sights. I love 20th and Delores, Beauna Vista, the view as the Fillmore Bus goes down toward the marina...and by all means see a show. Yoshi's just opened in the city and what can you say about the Great american and the Fillmore...and if you go up north well the list is endless pure beauty and not far away!

We have a wonderful museum in Golden Gate Park with a cool observation tower.It's called the deYoung and the food is good too!!! Go visit James and Lillian at Hunan Home on Jackson and Grant, get reflexology right up the street, wander into North Beach visit Specs or Vesuvios, go to coit tower take the docent tour of the WPA murals.Visit the MIssson take a mural tour and eat at one of the awesome resaurants like Roosevelts or La rondella(late night)....so many places to walk and see beautiful sights. I love 20th and Delores, Beauna Vista, the view as the Fillmore Bus goes down toward the marina...and by all means see a show. Yoshi's just opened in the city and what can you say about the Great american and the Fillmore...and if you go up north well the list is endless pure beauty and not far away!

Wait a minute... are we the same person?!? :huh You've listed a bunch of my favorite things! The Roosevelt (or as my Grandma still calls it: "the tamale house") is on the same block as the St. Francis, which is a very cool old-school soda fountain, and you can sit in the booth where some movers and shakers met one day and decided that San Francisco needed a professional football team, and thus was born the 49ers.

If you're as big a music fan as I'm sure that most people here are, there's a few sites you've got to check out.

1. Amoeba Records. Located in the historic Haight-Ashbury, this is perhaps the best cd store in the United States. They house over 100 000 titles. Nearly everything you could ever imagine is there. And prices are very reasonable.

2. Bottom of the Hill. A great little music joint down by the water. Plenty of great acts make their way through every year. I was lucky enough to catch Blitzen Trapper there last summer and it was a blast. I took a look at the artists who have played their before and it included: The White Stripes, Sam Roberts, The Nels Cline Singers, and Wolfmothers. So be sure to check their calendar before you leave.

There's my input. Be sure to take in as much as you can. It's a beautiful city. I wouldn't mind living there someday. Enjoy!

Daaaaaang!!

You guys are great!!!! The city view directions are essential. Thanks!!

Music oriented things are fantastic.

any older recording studios?

Pop Art galleries for sure.

anything Mid Century/ Modern

Last time we were there, we stumbled upon a terrific fabric store. Really tight but had several floors. We had a blast!

• 2 months later...

OK so the trip is tuesday. After a considerable amount of terror from my 3rd party booking, I have somehow landed an improbable deal right across from The Moscone Center!!!

MOMA & BBB for fun

RTSR & ORIF for biz

Looking forward to Friday!

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread because we're climbing on a plane in less than three weeks to head out to the Bay Area.

We'll be there from June 6 - 16, and we'll have a car. Staying near the Marina neighborhood on the north side of town. We aren't afraid of public transportation or walking, and we're not the usual tourists -- we like weird/offbeat stuff and don't necessarily care about a lot of the usual tourist traps, though if there's a good view involved we'll likely hit some of those too.

I know we'll be going up into wine country at some point, and maybe down the coast to Monterey one day. Also up into Marin County. I have been to the area three times before, but this is my first trip as an adult who gets to decide what to do.

If anyone has good suggestions for off-the-beaten-path places to go, see, eat, etc., let me know. Thanks!