• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like Rock N Roll Photography - This is a must!

Ask if you can see the stuff upstairs.

Also, this gallery for modern art.

It actually focuses more on her non-celebrity work, but the Annie Leibowitz exhibition at the Legion of Honor is very cool and I love that museum. Play a round of golf while in Lincoln Park. It's like a poor man's Pebble Beach.

I love the Japanese tea garden. Also, if you have a car, a day trip to Sonoma or Napa Valley is a good idea. I'd also recommend hitting Anchor Steam brewery. If that isn't feasible, at least drink the beer the entire time you are there.

If anyone has good suggestions for off-the-beaten-path places to go, see, eat, etc., let me know. Thanks!

One of my favorite places to dine in San Francisco is Greens. It is a vegetarian restaurant, but non-veggie's will love it too. It also has some great views of the Marina, Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin headlands.

I always thought the Musee Mechanique was cool, with all its old arcade/carnival machines. It used to be under the Cliff House but I think it has moved to Fisherman's Wharf now.

One of my favorite places to dine in San Francisco is Greens. It is a vegetarian restaurant, but non-veggie's will love it too. It also has some great views of the Marina, Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin headlands.

Perfect, thanks for this -- Melissa is vegetarian, and this place is less than half a mile from our hotel. :worship

since you've got a car and are already going to Marin, definitely go to Muir Woods and then drive over to Stinson Beach. be sure to stop off at the pull offs along the coast on your way to Stinson, the views are pretty stunning:

2083227505_34f2b87565.jpg

2084008714_f9692bc51b.jpg

If I won the lottery, SF would be the first place on my list of places to go. I have this idealised, romantic version of it in my head and I sooo want to visit.

i haven't been as impressed w/ San Fran in terms of just the city itself as i'd imagined in my head, but the bay area in general is definitely amazing

I bet you stuck out like a sore thumb on the Castro with that red hair and those glasses! :shifty

Perfect, thanks for this -- Melissa is vegetarian, and this place is less than half a mile from our hotel. :worship

Well that should work out great :).

Last time I was there we were staying on Lombard St. so it was a real short walk to Greens. The restaurant is close to the Palace of Fine Arts and Exploratorium which is a cool place to spend a few hours:

Rotunda_side.jpg

Last time I was there we were staying on Lombard St. so it was a real short walk to Greens. The restaurant is close to the Palace of Fine Arts and Exploratorium which is a cool place to spend a few hours

Yeah, we'll be on Lombard very close to Laguna, so it's around the corner and a few blocks north.

I went to the Exploratorium in the '70s and loved it ... I think we'll get there on this trip at some point.

There's already been a ton of good stuff mentioned in this thread (and like Louie B and the Chicago thread, this one isn't the first :P ) but I'll add a few more, too (and I'm sure I'm repeating myself on some of this stuff):

The Mission District: 826 Valencia, the murals in Balmy Alley, amazing restaurants along the Valencia Street corridor (or, cheap burritos :eat ), good music in a small club at 12 Galaxies, the tiny performance space at The Marsh, indie movies at The Roxie... Lots of good stuff, not necessarily touristy, but a cool neighborhood. All of this can be googled, or PM me if any of it strikes your fancy and you want more info (actually, PM me either way :yes ).

The ferries to Sausalito, Tiburon, and/or Angel Island. The last time I was on Angel Island (not terribly recently, unfortunately), they were restoring the immigration center (the Ellis Island of the West, where most of the Chinese immigrants were processed). It should be long done by now, but even if it isn't, Angel Island is still just a beautiful spot for walking, biking, hanging out, whatever. Sausalito and Tiburon are cute and tiny and touristy, but a trip over on the ferry and a meal on the waterfront over there can be a really lovely afternoon. Bundle up though, no matter how nice a day it is, it'll be cold on the bay!

Crissy Field/the Golden Gate Bridge: Andrew Dowdall did the rent-a-bike trip from the wharf, along Crissy Field, over the bridge, and all the way into Sausalito, I think (they recommend doing this one-way, then ferrying back). You could also just park at Crissy Field and walk over the bridge and back. The views from Crissy Field are amazing.

2482815347_c827827156.jpg

That's Sinead at the eastern end of Crissy Field, but you can walk it all the way to the base of the bridge, up the path, and across.

• 3 weeks later...

Have some Rice-A-Roni for me cryptique :).

• 4 months later...

Californians float a plan: Return of the zeppelin

Zeppelins, the giant floating airships used to carry passengers and drop bombs until the 1930s, haven't been seen in American skies for more than 70 years.

Now a California company is bringing the iconic aircraft back to the United States, with plans to offer aerial tours of the San Francisco Bay area in a newly built zeppelin. It's one of just three in the world

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

First off, A-man, I have not been past there recently, or not that I've noticed, anyway. It's close-ish to my house, but the other side of the park, so I don't pass it regularly.

If you're going to Napa without a car, I'd suggest this: http://winetrain.com Otherwise, you're in the city of Napa, but you don't get out to the wineries.

To get there, they recommend using the 511.org trip planner. It looks like your best bet would be the ferry from SF to Vallejo, then a local bus to downtown Napa (the whole trip will take 2+ hours). The ferry would be neat, but I'm guessing the bus wouldn't be quite as much fun. :) It will get you there, though.