The National vs. Lucinda Williams

Who put out the better album in 2007?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. The National or Lucinda Williams?

• The National
    • Lucindia Williams
    • both suck

Interestingly enough, all those people who were defending the Lucinda album earlier in the year aren't here to defend it now. If we bring up the original thread lots of folks were saying it was some of the best stuff she had ever done (and would be on a best of list). I guess they finally came to their senses.

LouieB

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis Costello said somewhere West was the best album of the year. As I have a pretty high regard for Elvis' opinion, I have downloaded it (but still haven't listened to it - so maybe my regard isn't THAT high???). Having read through this, I'm not likely to rush out to hear in in the near future.

Not playing In England anymore, not making albums anymore, Mp3's have ruined albums.

I have the episode of Crossroads on video that he and Lucinda were on.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find it (but the search function on the Mojo web site seems a little weak). He sorta stopped playing in Canada although he does show up from time to time. I can see how he could make the MP3 comment but it would certainly sadden me if he stopped making albums - some of us still listen start to finish.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find it (but the search function on the Mojo web site seems a little weak). He sorta stopped playing in Canada although he does show up from time to time. I can see how he could make the MP3 comment but it would certainly sadden me if he stopped making albums - some of us still listen start to finish.

It's the red and black issue with LZ on the cover.

lol

i didn't say deep :P

but no... Lu stayed with relatives of mine for a while in San Francisco when she was first just starting out around the early 70's when she was 19-20.

the first time I ever saw her in '97 w/ Patty Griffin opening in Bozeman, MT, i talked to her afterwards and mentioned their name, her eyes lit up and she gave me a huge hug. it was pretty cool :).

Interestingly enough, all those people who were defending the Lucinda album earlier in the year aren't here to defend it now. If we bring up the original thread lots of folks were saying it was some of the best stuff she had ever done (and would be on a best of list). I guess they finally came to their senses.

LouieB

I'm pretty sure it was one person, who is back doing the same thing.

whenever the song Righteously (which i'll admit is pretty repetitive to the point of borderline annoying) came on the radio when that album was being pushed, my wife would yell at me to turn the station immediately. she couldn't believe I actually listened to and liked Lucinda :lol

Yeah, my wife has the same reaction to Lucinda. I agree that West isn't a great album, and that Lu's releases have gone (gradually) progressively downhill since Car Wheels. Country music needs her, though.

LouieB

I stayed very far away from that thread.

I've been a fan of Lucinda Williams for the last decade or more and West was her weakest so far -- in my opinion. Not only the lyrics, but her voice is totally shot.

LouieB

Hello!

My Lu Top can change at times, so it goes like this:

1. Lucinda Williams/Car Wheels on a Gravel Road/West/Essence/Sweet Old World

2. Happy Woman Blues/World Without Tears

3. Ramblin'

4. Live at the Fillmore

The Fillmore being easily the worst of Lu catalog, and one of the worst live albums ever

minus this one, any of her album is certainly less boring than every album by The National...

10 Best Albums of the Year:

Lucinda Williams - West

Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me

Plastiscines - LP 1

Rachel Ries - Without a Bird

Kristin Hersh - Learn to Sing like a Star

Julie Doiron - Woke Myself Up

Mary Weiss - Dangerous Game

The Roches - Moonswept

Jenifer Jackson - The Outskirts of a Giant Town

Daphn