Say I wanted to go to Chicago and see a show at the Vic. If I was bidding on Priceline, what should my priority be for these zones?

North Michigan Ave - River North Area

50245.gif

Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area

50246.gif

Greater Chicago

2677.gif

I won't have much time to see too much more than the show so ease of access to venue would be my first interest.

Seasons Greetings and thanks in advance for any advice.

bobfrombob, we we're planning a similar trip last spring (didn't end up happening however) and were looking at City Suites on Belmont Ave (I think) for a short stay. It's around the corner from The Vic. There were a few restaurants within walking distance as well if I remember right. Granted, I don't know a lot about Chicago, so I'm sure others will have more/much better advice, but thought I'd throw that out there. :)

edit: Also, the Club Quarters on Wacker was nice (stayed there over the summer for shows at House of Blues). Rooms are small, but nice for a single/couple...great view of the river and Marina Towers...easy access to several restaurants...though not sure how close to The Vic it is off the top of my head. :hmm

Bobfrombob:

In terms of distance to the Vic, your maps are posted in order of proximity.

That first map you posted is the Water Tower area. If you pull up Chicago & Michigan Ave on a google map, it'll give you an idea of where that is in relation to the Vic (which is Belmont & Sheffield.) The red line is right there, as are several bus routes, and the brown line is a few blocks away. And of course cabs. Assuming you can get cabs in any of these places and don't need advice based on that (because you can,) I'll give you the CTA run-down: being around that first map area would put you about a 15-20 min public transportation journey from the Vic. If your hotel is close enough to the red line, it would just mean getting on that single train and riding it to Belmont, then going around the corner once you exit that station and arriving at the Vic.

The second map is the Loop area. Here's where all of the train lines come together, plus soooooooo many buses and cabs. You would be able to take either the red, brown, or purple lines to the Vic (again, a one-train deal,) in about 25 min time.

I wouldn't do the final map. UIC is out on the near west side, and it would involve multiple train lines and transfers, without a lot of fun stuff to do near your hotel (other than maybe Greektown.) Plus it's the shadiest of the three areas.

Was there not a Lakeview/Lincoln Park option? Because that would put you closest.

I am still boycotting Priceline since I once interviewed for a job as one of their lead web-developers and the grilling I got during the technical-interview schooled me so badly I still rank it among the more humiliating moments of my life. :lol

But that has no relevance to your question, I guess.

quarter23cd - sorry to hear about that - if I don't get a good deal, I'll boycott too

kimcatch22 (or others) - thanks. I was having trouble pinpointing The Vic on the Priceline maps but thought North Michigan seemed closest. I take it The Vic is still north of the North Michigan Ave - River North Area zone? The next zone north is Skokie - Niles - Evanston which seems too far north?

390.gif

For The Vic, check out the prices at the "Rock n' Roll" Days Inn on Diversey.

It's pretty much walking distance from The Vic (a kinda long walk, but very doable) and a lot closer to actual stuff that real Chicago residents do and the places they go.

Address: 644 W. Diversey Pkwy.

map.gif

quarter23cd - sorry to hear about that - if I don't get a good deal, I'll boycott too

kimcatch22 (or others) - thanks. I was having trouble pinpointing The Vic on the Priceline maps but thought North Michigan seemed closest. I take it The Vic is still north of the North Michigan Ave - River North Area zone? The next zone north is Skokie - Niles - Evanston which seems too far north?

390.gif

it's actually close to DePaul University (which is about where the N and I are of the word Univ. - so it isn't in any of those zones - but yes, the North Michigan Ave zone would be closest, and an easy hop up the red line.

bobfrombob, we we're planning a similar trip last spring (didn't end up happening however) and were looking at City Suites on Belmont Ave (I think) for a short stay. It's around the corner from The Vic. There were a few restaurants within walking distance as well if I remember right. Granted, I don't know a lot about Chicago, so I'm sure others will have more/much better advice, but thought I'd throw that out there. :)

If the rooms are within your price range, the City Suites would be absolutely ideal for a Vic-centered trip to Chicago.

390.gif

Yeah the Skokie/etc one is definitely too far away. North Michigan is your best bet, or these other hotels that people are offering (I second the Days Inn in terms of location, don't know where the other one is that's been recommended.)

The Vic is right by the Belmont stop of the Red and Brown lines so you can get there from about anywhere on the north side pretty fast (depending on how well the els are actually running these days...)

LouieB

For everyone who will be relying on the CTA to get them around town while they're here for shows, there's a couple links you should check out.

Virtual El navigator is great for checking out what stuff is around each station, to help you plan where to stay, eat, drink, etc etc. (fyi: the Riv is off the Lawrence red line stop and the Vic is at Belmont red/brown/purple.)

I would also recommend a CTA visitor pass, which is a huge cost-saver against the current $2/ride cash rate. It comes in 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 day increments for a flat rate and allows unlimited rides.

Thanks again to everybody for their advice and information. I've never been to Chicago so just having the links and stuff is a great help and info on stuff like "reds" and "browns" is a huge help.

:thumbup Don't hesitate to PM me or write more questions on here!! And Red should be the line that gets you to most of what you need -- it runs north/south and hugs the lake, Mag Mile, etc.

• 5 weeks later...

putting this back on top... and looking for some more advice.

need a friday-saturday room for the residency shows.

while price is a definitely consideration, looking for any advice on these criteria (coming in solo from nyc):

1. ease to the venue

2. chicago history/cool