Roommate Ethics Question

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no lease. The person that stays there all of the time is the owner of said house.

The gas bill is like 350 or more a month nowadays. I think its weak for a person thats using 5 percent or less of that gas to have to pay for half of it. Cable and electricity are bad enough. It always gets paid but if I was the owner I dont think I would feel right freeriding off of someone else.

Does the person have any official rental agreement? If they want to try to re-negotiate with the landlord, that might be a possibility, but otherwise they're renting a room which might otherwise be rented to someone who would pay half the cable bill.

Yes they should pay half per the prior agreement. Plus the absentee roomates toothbrush should be used for toilet/tub/sink/grout/etc. scrubbing whilst they are gone, since they are too cool to hang out anymore.

There is no lease. The person that stays there all of the time is the owner of said house.

The gas bill is like 350 or more a month nowadays. I think its weak for a person thats using 5 percent or less of that gas to have to pay for half of it. Cable and electricity are bad enough. It always gets paid but if I was the owner I dont think I would feel right freeriding off of someone else.

IMO, that is bullshit. you can't prove how much that person is using. it doesn't matter how much time that person spends there. if they claim it as their place of residency and the agreement is to pay half, they should pay half.

But even in the absence of a lease (which is a bad idea on the homeowner's part -- always have a tenant sign a lease!), that's the agreement that the tenant presumably entered into -- paying rent and sharing the utilities. The fact that the tenant doesn't spend much actual time in that house doesn't nullify that agreement -- that's a choice made by the tenant.

The owner isn't "freeriding" -- it was the tenant's decision not to use the utilities he/she pays for. If the tenant has a problem with the arrangement, he/she should move out of the house and let the owner find another tenant.

Perhaps the owner of the house should rent out to a roommate who sees that the owner of the house doesn't want to hear a bunch of whining from a roommate that doesn't want to uphold their half of the agreement.

Somebody needs to grow up.

:yucky :yucky :yucky

:lol

you people are mean. this house is huge and the other person is the owner. i think its BS for someone to have to pay half when they are literally not there for weeks at a time.

but of course legally they have to via an agreement but i dont think its right. i think the person thats there is using and freeloading from the absentee roommate.

you sound mean

Busch league. That's one of the reasons you have roomates. You split the bills.

:yucky :yucky :yucky

:lol

you people are mean. this house is huge and the other person is the owner. i think its BS for someone to have to pay half when they are literally not there for weeks at a time.

but of course legally they have to via an agreement but i dont think its right. i think the person thats there is using and freeloading from the absentee roommate.

you sound mean

Tell your "roomate" to just stop living at the house 2-3 days a month and move in with the new dame. Problem solved, "he" can then pay half her utilities, etc.

Sorry, but you're just flat-out wrong about this.