Roommate Ethics Question

Yeah, just man up and move out, the property owner will find a new roomate if they need to.

Oh yeah and buy a new toothbrush.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the arrangement for paying utilities before DBoon started shacking up with the SO? If DBoon was paying half the utilities before he got lucky, he should continue paying half if he has any intention of returning after things with the SO go south.

this has gone on for over a year. the owner has threatened to have a nervous breakdown if said roommate moves out because they are a school teacher and would never be able to afford it without the roommate.

This is why the homeowner should have had the tenant sign a lease, so all of this was in writing.

Threats of nervous breakdowns should not deter the tenant from moving out. Perhaps the tenant could offer to place an ad in the paper and/or online to help find someone else to share the house, just as a goodwill gesture, but if there's no lease holding the tenant there, sayonara.

Sounds like both parties in this scenario need a bit of a reality check.

I'm pretty much in agreement with most of what has been said.

If you (not YOU necessarily, but whoever) have a "rental-type" arrangement, whether or not there's a lease, the landlord person is counting on that income to pay the bills etc. Whether you are there or not, the room is "occupied" as far as the landlord is concerned. 'Cause if you left, they would rent it out to someone else who would pay half. And they have assigned that room to you expecting you to pay half. They don't really care if you are there or not.

The stuff about them having a breakdown if you leave is emotionl blackmail and totally not your problem. Especially if you are renting month to month. You should look for a place with utilities included or move in with the girlfriend or something, but if you think you are getting a bad deal, you should move out.

Roommates are dicey at best.

I have had TWO (not counting Downtown to whom I am married).

One was a highschool friend. He was a groomsman at my wedding. I was not invited to his. (Does that say something about me as a roommate?)

Graham had one of those....but then he never came back home and he wouldn't return his calls. While Graham kept up with his part of paying rent to the landlord, he was essentially evicted because of the other guy. That really sucked - I had to help him move all his crap. :P

We never knew what became of the guy or his stuff......the day Graham moved out, all of his stuff was still there.

Again. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME AND THE PERSON HAS ALWAYS PAID THEIR HALF AND EVEN THINKS THEY SHOULD.

I just give them hell for it.

You sound mean.