I dropped a guitar off to have some work done on it today and my local shop (now) has a bunch of rather boutique amps. These included:

Matchless

65 Amps

Bogner

Divided by 13

I did not play any of them, but a guy was there playing a Bogner -- it sounded great. Anyone have any of these? The prices are totally outrageous and I wonder if they're worth it. For me, I question how different the amps are from, say Marshall or Fender. I guess you could make the same argument for guitars. hmm.....

I dropped a guitar off to have some work done on it today and my local shop (now) has a bunch of rather boutique amps. These included:

Matchless

65 Amps

Bogner

Divided by 13

I did not play any of them, but a guy was there playing a Bogner -- it sounded great. Anyone have any of these? The prices are totally outrageous and I wonder if they're worth it. For me, I question how different the amps are from, say Marshall or Fender. I guess you could make the same argument for guitars. hmm.....

I don't own any of the models you've mentioned here but I do have a Swart Space Tone 6V6 and a Savage Macht 12X ,both of which would be considered boutique amps.

For me, they're worth it in that they nail particular tones I was going for when I was shopping for amps.

I think that's what it all boils down to really. Chasing a sound.

Amplifiers are just as much musical instruments in their own right as the guitar itself. There's not a heck of a lot of difference in dropping significant coinage on an amplifier as opposed to a fine guitar. So in that regard it's justifiable.

That said I recently owned a reasonably priced Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that I was quite pleased with and view as an all around excellent machine.

So, for me at least it's not about the vanity of having something that's moderately exclusive and hand built. It's more about these amps make it very easy for this guy to make a certain sound he's trying to achieve.

Errgh. Hope that makes some sense.

I own a Tophat Club Royale 2x12 with a tube rectifier. Before this I've owned a Mesa rect-o-verb, Fender Twin reverb RI, and a Vox AC15 RI. I got my Tophat used for a steal (about the same price as my twin was new and less than what the mesa I had was new). For me it was worth it, because the amp is a lot more dynamic and responsive to my hands and subtle changes in volume controlled from the guitar. Plus the sound can be nearly piano-like. It's comparable to a Vox AC15/ AC30 and a Marshall 18 watt, but the builder makes sure to put his signature tone stamp in there.

I would say the Boutique amps that are worth checking out are- Tophat, Doctor Z, Reeves, Clark, Richter (not priced as high as Divided By 13, 65amps, Matchless, Bruno etc). I haven't played a Swart, but I would love to. Those things are turning heads over on The Gear Page.

Holy fuck that Swart Atomic Space Tone sounds incredible... now to go out and mug a few sugar daddies on Central Park West to finance it!

Not one to usually go "Ga-Ga" over gear I have to say the thing is amazing.

It is probably the best overall amp available on the market that would suit my needs.

Seriously considering selling my current gear to get one of these.

Having played one I feel confident in saying that it would probably be the last amp I'd ever need.

There are lots of boutique amps on the market right now.

Fulton-Webb, Bad Cat and Carr all make some really nice amps as well ... I think some of us are most familiar with the amps that are built in our immediate area, since lots of these brands don't have wide distribution (that's the case with F-W here in Austin).

I think a Swart AST will be my next amp, also. Just need to save steadily. I miss not having reverb and trem on board with an amp. I have a web-buddy in Australia who just picked one up to go with his mid 90's AC30 RI, and he has nothing but great things to say about it.

There are tons of boutique amp makers.

Great, one more thing to start saving to buy and thinking of ways to justify the expense to my wife. Once I finish up my guitar project, this may be the next must-have item for me.

Oh how those words echo in my head ;)

Instead of buying a Swart Atomic Space Tone you could just buy a Fender champ. Same circuit but a lot cheaper!

The Champ uses solid-state rectification -- the Atomic Space Tone has tube rectification.

EDIT: I didn't mean that to sound dismissive or smart-assed -- it does seem they have a lot in common, but of course the Swart justifies its expense by dispensing with any solid state parts, not being mass-produced, and having tube tremolo, and reverb. The Champ appears to be a pretty good recording amp -- I'm considering one as a stop-gap measure until I can afford a nicer amp. Plus, there are tube rectifier kits out there, so for just a little extra cash, one could mod the Champ to be much more like the Swart, just without the extras.

"I didn't mean that to sound dismissive or smart-assed" - Thats alright man I was the one being dismissive and smart-arsed! It was an off the cuff remark. Anyway the Swart is bound to be a great amp. But I was thinking of vintage Champs. I think these have valve rectos? Have you played a Victoria champ? I have and they are lovely would be nice to compare to the Swart.

Also wanna say I got a 4 month old Heritage AC15 for about half the new price the other day! Guy was selling it too pay for bible school :o such a nice amp.

Plus today I was allowed to buy an 2002 cherry red jaguar as a present from my girlfriend for finally finishing off my building apprenticeship ( I started it 16 years ago)